The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivy.98
I think the solution is sustainable development. Poaching is a problem of poverty. In Europe, we can do a better job at protecting ecosystems because we have more widespread conservationist norms. I just think we shouldn't be satisfied with a solution that involved killing what we're trying to protect.

Well Mugabe isn't going to the help the country, all he has done is make it worse.
Original post by versari
As the OP has said it is sad indeed that an endangered animal should be killed in this way. I chose not to look at the footage-it is all too familiar. As for the hunter as I think we have established by now on this thread the vegan-fetishers /hunters are not the sharpest tools in the shed, they've got guns and sh*t for brains and that's it.. Obviously there should be better controls of poaching, clear demarcation of hunting/non hunting areas, and better controls to prevent unlawful hunting especially of endangered species.

Umm, are you replying to the right person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
what could possibly be the point of killing an elephant in order to save an elephant. It's nonsense.
to CoolCavy hope so.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Umm, are you replying to the right person?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DarkMagic
I don't think its quite the same thing. I don't eat a lot of meat (mostly just chicken and mince) but most of the meat people eat come from animals that are bred for that purpose. I'm not trying to defend that, but I do think there is a difference between lifting a packet of pork chops from a shelf and cooking them, to actually shooting the pig yourself and enjoying it.

On the other hand, this guy has paid nearly £40,000 for the satisfaction of killing a defenceless animal. To me, that is completely sick. He will celebrate his 'huge accomplishment', boast about it and then he will move on and kill something else. He should be locked up.

This is so true.

I am sorry but if someone actually pays money just so he can shoot an animal that he isn't even going to eat... I find this seriously worrying, like he comes off as an actual psychopath. I know I wouldnt feel safe living on the same street as him. in fact i feel uneasy knowing we live on the same continent.
Original post by driftawaay
This is so true.

I am sorry but if someone actually pays money just so he can shoot an animal that he isn't even going to eat... I find this seriously worrying, like he comes off as an actual psychopath. I know I wouldnt feel safe living on the same street as him. in fact i feel uneasy knowing we live on the same continent.

How do you know he didn't eat the meat or at least some of it?
Original post by DiddyDec
How do you know he didn't eat the meat or at least some of it?

you're right, since he is a murderous psychopath, there is actually a good chance he ate the victim for dinner, as they sometimes do if you look at news reports. i didnt even think about that. :s-smilie:
you're right, since he is a murderous psychopath, there is actually a good chance he ate the victim for dinner, as they sometimes do if you look at news reports. i didnt even think about that. :s-smilie:

How can he be murderous if he hasn't killed anyone?
How can he be murderous if he hasn't killed anyone?

the nitpickiness and useless semantics isnt gonna get u far with me, hun
the nitpickiness and useless semantics isnt gonna get u far with me, hun

I don't want to get far with you. I don't even want to get to first base.
I don't want to get far with you. I don't even want to get to first base.

Face it you didn't even get to first base with anyone-gotta be a bit sharper mate:smile:
Original post by versari
Face it you didn't even get to first base with anyone-gotta be a bit sharper mate:smile:

That is a strong argument you have put forward there. I got to first base your mum though.
Wait, afre you seriously suggesting that humanity is not an apex predator?
Original post by versari
Depends which ones, wwf has African elephants rated as "vulnerable" -then there's the knock on effect of loss of habitat for other species caused by their demise so there's a damaging ripple effect. (The same things that are happening as a result of the loss of bees and bats around the world ie increased use of pesticides GMO, contamination, etc only in a different form to the local ecology)

Vulnerable is now synonymous to endangered?! You must ugently write to Oxford so that they can publish this in their next edition of the OED!
Reading through most of this thread I can see two things:
1) first, that there is the typical hard left/liberal elite spouting their usual opinion that anybody who disagrees with their view of the world, in this case their particular set of morals and things they do to attain pleasure, are monsters and have no right to live and are the scum of the earth, as per usual.
2) Secondly, that people are happily overlooking that the actions were perfectly legal, trying to find any reason they can to argue that despite this it was indefensible, and happily ignoring that much of the revenues from this go into further conservation; again, here, they find poor arguments against this saying stuff like "how can killing an elephant conserve elephants", to which the natural response is along the lines of 'in Zimbabwe, $60k is a lot of money and will pay for the protection of endangered species for months.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hear lions don't stand up too well to being shot by an arrow and then 40 hours later with a rifle, or even just arrows, or just bullets, or spears, or actually rather a lot of human weapons:

I must also commend your paradox creating skills; if an apex predator is no longer defined as one because a different apex predator could kill it in certain situations then there will be no apex predators, but then again, what killed it is no longer an apex predator, so I guess they still are, or are they? And beyond that I guess you don't understand what an apex predator is if you're being this dense. Well, I guess you do seem to think that to be an apex predator you aren't allowed to use a brain and skills you have learnt, such as how to craft and use weapons, use fire to cook food, something we do for a great many reasons (and isn't totally necessary either).

Oh, and you do realise that there is not one single food chain for the entirety of the planet, right?

Thank you for your time, you can go back to your tree hugging now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivy.98
I agree, that is disgusting. However, killing that particular elephant may have been a mistake but these rich people hunting trips are what funds conservation in many African countries. The money he pays to do so will save hundreds of animals.

Original post by versari
Well that's the myth. For some reason I'm sceptical because Zimbabwe is a corrupt region, and so far the money it has received has still not stopped the endemic poaching problem. So how many more animals have to die before we discover the money is in fact just diminishing African Wildlife and disappearing into some officials back pocket.

This was the right elephant to shoot; but the wrong regime to shoot it under.

In an orderly managed population, the animal to cull is the formerly dominant male just at the point it starts to be superseded. It wouldn't live much longer anyway. In an orderly managed population it is selling the right to shoot the animal who would be culled/die anyway that should pay for the maintenance of the herd.

In Zimbabwe selling the right to shoot the animal pays for the wife of one of Mugabe's henchmen's next trip to Harrods.
Yes, of course, chimps are well known to be proficient in the use of firearms. A fair fight would be to allow both sides to use what is available to them, for humanity that is our rather good brain, dexterous hands, and combined, ability to make weapons, although I guess if you're going to remove our natural weapons should we not also be removing the Lions claws, teeth, and half their muscles?

Oh, and you wanted people to be with a ******ed weak lion on a leash, how about we go one better, admittedly a black panther, not a lion, but here you go:
[video]https://www.facebook.com/dropdeadNS/videos/10153272534888152/[/video]

May I also ask you to double check what an Apex predator is, and tell me what exactly it is that preys upon the adult human?

I would also like to enquire, have you actually been anywhere near the live, wild, adult variants of these animals, or is the closest you've got looking at them in a cage?
Original post by Jammy Duel
Vulnerable is now synonymous to endangered?! You must ugently write to Oxford so that they can publish this in their next edition of the OED!

hehe-another semantic fool with no argument bites the dust:smile: yes vulnerable obviously "is" related to endangered in this context and in OED. Get back to school sonny!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by versari
hehe-another semantic fool with no argument bites the dust:smile: yes vulnerable obviously "is" related to endangered in this context and in OED. Get back to school sonny!

Except, the OED is largely irrelevant here, they are both International Union for Conservation of Nature classifications, and not synonymous. They might be next to each other in the classifications, at the bottom end of the threatened range, but that is not the same as being synonymous. Endangered means that the IUCN believes they are like to become extinct, Vulnerable means they are likely to become endangered, unless what is creating the risk is dealt with. Seems odd to me to say that A is likely to become B means A=B.

"Get back to school sonny!"

Latest

Trending

Trending