The Student Room Group

Should "consent classes" be mandatory in all universities?

Poll

Should consent classes be mandatory?

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/warwick-university-student-george-lawlor-divides-opinion-after-opposing-union-s-sex-consent-lessons-a6694781.html

Given the controversy surrounding this article, I was surprised that there is no thread discussing these so-called "consent classes" as of recently.

What do you guys think? Should consent classes be mandatory in all universities? If so, why? If not, why not?

Scroll to see replies

No. There is better things to do at uni. Like partying.
I'm not being patronized by no one :colonhash:
They don't need lessons to know how to say yes

:smug: :smug: :smug:
Why not just have halal universities i.e. seperate the uni in 2, male/female. It would lead to a vastly more safer environment for women and better academic results for everyone. The absence of alcohol and all the other sharia principles would improve attainment even more
Original post by Saftvare Jarb
Why not just have halal universities i.e. seperate the uni in 2, male/female. It would lead to a vastly more safer environment for women and better academic results for everyone. The absence of alcohol and all the other sharia principles would improve attainment even more

What about homosexuals? Should we separate them from people of the same sex?

And should we isolate bi's? You know, just to be on the safe side. It would lead to a safer environment and better academic results. Everybody wins.

Capital punishment has been shown to increase attainment.
Reply 7
No. There's no need for Nanny to give patronizing lectures to adults.
Original post by 010197
They should be compulsory for everyone. Why are these ugly boys so offended that someone is speaking up about an important issue that many women and men have to deal with? It's not as simple as yes and no. You have to be able to read other signs because you could be frightening your date without even knowing it. There's a grey area that needs to be covered, and people who refuse to address it are perpetuating victim blaming.

What is the grey area?

And is this "victim blaming"?

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/articles/2015/06/10/anti-rape-program-halved-number-of-campus-assaults-study
yes, its helpful information that a lot of people are uncertain about. There are lots of compulsory activities when you start university, I don't see how this is any better or worse than a fire safety course.
As we all no the only young people that have sex are uni students.
Only if they can prove that they are effectiveness.
Reply 12
Ditch this ludicrous idea and instead replace it with big TV screens around campus, reminding everyone not to rape.

Has to be catchy like the recruitment ads in Starship Troopers though.

"Good luck on your exams.... and remember.... no one likes a rapist!"
They are the kind of thing that should be recorded in future history books to see what a mad, male-hating society we had created. They will be regarded as a peculiarity.

You seem to be under the illusion that every man is a rapist :/
Only if false rape allegation classes are also taught.

The very idea that somebody feels the need to try teach me not to rape is offensive.
Original post by Rakas21
Only if false rape allegation classes are also taught.

The very idea that somebody feels the need to try teach me not to rape is offensive.

Never slept with a drunk girl?
Original post by cole-slaw
Never slept with a drunk girl?

Of course I have, she enjoyed the experience almost as much as I.
Original post by Rakas21
Of course I have, she enjoyed the experience almost as much as I.

just the once then, lol.

How did you know she wasn't too drunk to consent? Have you ever been in a situation where a girl WAS too drunk to consent? I have. It does happen, and its helpful to know exactly what you should do in that situation.
Original post by cole-slaw
just the once then, lol.

How did you know she wasn't too drunk to consent? Have you ever been in a situation where a girl WAS too drunk to consent? I have. It does happen, and its helpful to know exactly what you should do in that situation.

I've not been to a class, so I might have missed something, but surely it's just "say no and find her mate/safe place".?

That's not a particularly large stretch to figure out by yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending