The Student Room Group

Dentistry without A-level Biology?

I'm a Y12 student taking Chemistry, Maths, Psychology, and I've always been interested in a career in dentistry. However, whenever I search up a lot of the entry requirements for dentistry at certain universities, I often notice that, although it is not required, biology seems to be preferred by certain universities. I have a strong set of GCSEs at 9998888775, and am determined that I can carry this success onto my A-levels, however I'm concerned that me not doing biology might get in the way of pursuing dentistry. Is there any way for me to apply to universities strategically, or am I overall going to be viewed as a weak applicant?
Thanks for reading this far! Please help me.
Check entry requirements to see which dental schools absolutely want Biology. It may make applying strategically harder, there aren't many dental schools (compared with another competitive course like medicine) to choose from. UCAT can be a factor that can greatly limit your options so it's important to try and keep as many options as open as possible.
Reply 2
Do you think maybe coming back to dentistry later as a graduate would be more suited for me? Or does it become even more competitive? I'm really adamant on this but was a bit too careless with my a-level options...
Original post by emcheblossom
Do you think maybe coming back to dentistry later as a graduate would be more suited for me? Or does it become even more competitive? I'm really adamant on this but was a bit too careless with my a-level options...

You shouldn’t do a degree with the aim of doing post grad medicine/dentistry, it is way more competitive, it’ll cost more and take up a lot of time.
As mentioned you should look at entry requirements for universities who ask for biology OR chemistry.
Alternatively you could see if you can get moved into a biology class at your sixth form. This will mean you have to work twice as hard as everyone else as you will be a year behind but don’t do an undergraduate degree if your only aim is to apply for post grad dentistry.
Original post by spectrum84
You shouldn’t do a degree with the aim of doing post grad medicine/dentistry, it is way more competitive, it’ll cost more and take up a lot of time.
As mentioned you should look at entry requirements for universities who ask for biology OR chemistry.
Alternatively you could see if you can get moved into a biology class at your sixth form. This will mean you have to work twice as hard as everyone else as you will be a year behind but don’t do an undergraduate degree if your only aim is to apply for post grad dentistry.
I tried to get them to move me but they insisted it was too late ☹️ I guess I should be strategic when applying!
I tried to get them to move me but they insisted it was too late ☹️ I guess I should be strategic when applying!

If it is an option for you, you could try and do the A Level privately?
But if you can’t then you will have to be strategic when applying.

Good luck :smile:

I was thinking of this! My only questionis if i did it during a gap year, would it count towardsone of my alevels that I could apply with? I’m worriedit wont as it isn’t sat in the same session that I wouldsit my chem maths psych exams.
There are several dental shools you can apply to with those A-levels: Bristol, KCL, Plymouth and QMUL.
^however all of these unis have high UCAT cut-offs, so make sure you get a high cut-off

Check the entry requirements:
https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/DSC-Entry-Requirements-entry-2024.pdf

I was thinking of this! My only questionis if i did it during a gap year, would it count towardsone of my alevels that I could apply with? I’m worriedit wont as it isn’t sat in the same session that I wouldsit my chem maths psych exams.Some unis still won't let you apply as the require you to take all a-levels in one sitting so taking a gap year and sitting them might not work, my advice would be to get good predicted grades and very high UCAT and not do graduate entry and not do a gap year to study bio a level
Original post by toothysmile
I was thinking of this! My only questionis if i did it during a gap year, would it count towardsone of my alevels that I could apply with? I’m worriedit wont as it isn’t sat in the same session that I wouldsit my chem maths psych exams.
Some unis still won't let you apply as the require you to take all a-levels in one sitting so taking a gap year and sitting them might not work, my advice would be to get good predicted grades and very high UCAT and not do graduate entry and not do a gap year to study bio a levelWait why not do graduate entry? I was thinking of pursuing a degree in Medicinal Chemistry since it also really interests me, and if I still really wanted to, then I could try again after.
Some unis still won't let you apply as the require you to take all a-levels in one sitting so taking a gap year and sitting them might not work, my advice would be to get good predicted grades and very high UCAT and not do graduate entry and not do a gap year to study bio a level
Wait why not do graduate entry? I was thinking of pursuing a degree in Medicinal Chemistry since it also really interests me, and if I still really wanted to, then I could try again after.Graduate entry is so much harder than normal entry... it's 10% acceptance rate for all undergrads and even harder for post grads...
I'm a Y12 student taking Chemistry, Maths, Psychology, and I've always been interested in a career in dentistry. However, whenever I search up a lot of the entry requirements for dentistry at certain universities, I often notice that, although it is not required, biology seems to be preferred by certain universities. I have a strong set of GCSEs at 9998888775, and am determined that I can carry this success onto my A-levels, however I'm concerned that me not doing biology might get in the way of pursuing dentistry. Is there any way for me to apply to universities strategically, or am I overall going to be viewed as a weak applicant?
Thanks for reading this far! Please help me.
I'm at QMUL doing dentistry and there are quite a few people who did not do biology here. Its not a requirement at all universities so you just need to apply strategically to places like Bristol, QMUL and KCL.

Work towards getting AxAA in your A levels and at least 2600 in UCAT and you will be a great applicant! If you don't get in this year and you have those grades you can take a gap year and try again.

I personally don't see the point of paying for a private A level when that time and energy can be used for the subjects you are doing now which you can use to get into many dental schools. I also wouldn't recommended for you to do another degree first as you have a great chance already.

Hope this helped and Good Luck!
Original post by Harigowre
I'm at QMUL doing dentistry and there are quite a few people who did not do biology here. Its not a requirement at all universities so you just need to apply strategically to places like Bristol, QMUL and KCL.

Work towards getting AxAA in your A levels and at least 2600 in UCAT and you will be a great applicant! If you don't get in this year and you have those grades you can take a gap year and try again.

I personally don't see the point of paying for a private A level when that time and energy can be used for the subjects you are doing now which you can use to get into many dental schools. I also wouldn't recommended for you to do another degree first as you have a great chance already.

Hope this helped and Good Luck!
Tysm! Wishing you luck hopefully I’ll be like one of those friends :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest