Politics 25 mark extract question structure

Watch this thread
cxrmen
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm really struggling with how I'm meant to structure my answer for this question as we have never done it in class before. Could anyone help? (I do the AQA spec btw)
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I do A level politics and I normally get A's on my 25 markers and I use this formula for literally all of them. I do Edexell Politics btw not AQA but its probably the same thing.

1)Intro- Give a definition of what you are talking about, give a brief outline of the arguments you are going to make, give a brief conclusion.
2)Give two arguments for- Make sure each argument has an example.
3)Give two arguments against- Again, each argument needs an example.
4)Conclusion-Summarize all of the arguments you have made and GIVE YOUR OVERALL JUDGMENT. You have to give an overall judgment or your marks will be very limited.

If you want to send the actually essay you are struggling with in that would help as I could provide more detail

Make sure you spend 5 mins planning before you actually start to write the essay as it will save so much time and make your writing a lot more focused.

Good luck!
moso2203
Badges: 17
Report 1 year ago
i do aqa politics.

i don't really have a structure but this is what i usually do

intro - explain the key term in the question

3 / 4 paragraphs picking apart the extract, focusing on one point at a time - analyse and evaluate. add in your own knowledge/case studies/facts to support or oppose the argument in the extract. bring in provenance - is the source biased? what is the publisher, author, etc. place this anywhere tbh, intro/main body/conclusion - without it you won't get a high mark

conclusion - basically summarising the article's points and whether or not they're credible and why

if you'd like, i can share you one of my extract qs, just drop me a DM with a particular topic
Ela2003
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by moso2203)
i do aqa politics.

i don't really have a structure but this is what i usually do

intro - explain the key term in the question

3 / 4 paragraphs picking apart the extract, focusing on one point at a time - analyse and evaluate. add in your own knowledge/case studies/facts to support or oppose the argument in the extract. bring in provenance - is the source biased? what is the publisher, author, etc. place this anywhere tbh, intro/main body/conclusion - without it you won't get a high mark

conclusion - basically summarising the article's points and whether or not they're credible and why

if you'd like, i can share you one of my extract qs, just drop me a DM with a particular topic
Hi, I do Aqa politics too and I'm really stuck with an extract 25 marker question on arguments for and against the primary and caucus system I've got my main points I'm just struggling to structure the essay especially the intro. hope someone can help!
absbills
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
hey i was wonderiyou could help me answer this extract questionn the deadline is 12pm tonight and i havent got anywhereAnalyse, evaluate and compare the arguments in the below article over criticisms of the appointment and nomination process to the Supreme CourtThe highest court of appeal of the US judicial branch consists of the chief justice, currently Justice Roberts, and eight justices, who are all nominated by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate, a role conferred by the Constitution. Justices are appointed for life which leaves the president with no power as to how many appointments they can make to the court. The appointment and confirmation process has been criticised for being heavily politicised in that nominees are chosen not on their merit but on their ideological philosophy. Thus the appointments and confirmation process have been criticised as being a political battleground between the two major parties. Whilst the process encourages the exercise of checks and balances, in that oversight is performed by the senate to confirm a nominee, surely this power can be abused? Robert Bork would certainly contend so. Politicisation is not unexpected as US Supreme Court appointment and confirmation process does not start from an independent body like the Judicial Appointments Commission in the UK. Thus the appointment and confirmation system does have significant disadvantages, but there are advantages; presidents cannot subordinate those they appoint and in comparison to the UK Supreme Court, the US Supreme Court is far more diverse in both gender and ethnicity. One advantage of the Supreme Court is that it is unelected, meaning that it can safely practice the law without being swayed by public opinion. Moreover, it provides checks and balances on executive power so that the president cannot become a dictator.Essay found on website ‘marked by teachers’. Written in 2015.Pick out three or four arguments in the extractFor each argument:· Identify and explain the point, perhaps using a quotation.· Fully support the point using your own examples· Counter the argument.· If a point disagrees to a previous point- compare which is stronger- perhaps using a synoptic link. (This outweighs…. However, this does not balance the previous argument that….)Provenance paragraph· Write a paragraph evaluating the provenance. Consider:· Expertise and background of the author.· Type of publication- newspaper the time period it was written in;· purpose- to inform or persuade or influence.Conclusion· You need to agree or disagree with the issue in the question.
Tianni123
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi, would you have any tips on answering a 25 mark extract question on classical vs modern liberalism?
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Tianni123)
Hi, would you have any tips on answering a 25 mark extract question on classical vs modern liberalism?
use your notes
anonymous.56
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
make sure you include at least 2 key thinkers intro - overall summary on what they agree on on and how they differ ) basically list ur points u will make in the essay ) structure :your point - how are they same and how they differ eg both strands agree on the role of the state to enhance individuals freedoms BUT they differ in the way it's done Modern liberals - done by limited government ( put a key thinker ) classical liberals - enabling state link - back to the question ^^^ do this 3 x then conclusion summary of. main points
anonymous.56
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Tianni123)
make sure you include at least 2 key thinkers intro - overall summary on what they agree on on and how they differ ) basically list ur points u will make in the essay ) structure :your point - how are they same and how they differ eg both strands agree on the role of the state to enhance individuals freedoms BUT they differ in the way it's done Modern liberals - done by limited government ( put a key thinker ) classical liberals - enabling state link - back to the question ^^^ do this 3 x then conclusion summary of. main points
tomharrington08
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
could you send the essay please?
userdeivon
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cxrmen)
I'm really struggling with how I'm meant to structure my answer for this question as we have never done it in class before. Could anyone help? (I do the AQA spec btw)
Introduction:
- A definition of any key terms in the question - don't overthink this. If the question asks about Constitutional reforms, define Constitutional reforms.
- A general summary of both arguments.
- An initial judgement - which is the most convincing argument?

Argument 1 - For the statement.
- Point
- Evidence
- Explain
- Link
(Repeat this three times).

Argument 2 - Against the statement.
- Point
- Evidence
- Explain
- Link
(Repeat this three times).

Conclusion:
- Which is the most convincing argument?
- State your opinion - avoid using I believe that...
- Counter your opinion - use examples, try not to repeat examples used in your argument.
- Justify your opinion - use examples, try not to repeat examples used in your argument.

Provenance (source questions only):
- Consider why that particular writer, institution or group would write the contents of the source.
(A* - consideration of provenance).
Last edited by userdeivon; 3 months ago
lochanask
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
anyone got any tips for a source question on US Congress lmao?
aaamritaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Is it possible if you can send me one of your extract q's on devolution or PM and cabinet pleaseee?would be an absolute life saver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.39%
The paper was reasonable (262)
41.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.11%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.38%

Watched Threads