The Student Room Group

Politics 25 mark extract question structure

I'm really struggling with how I'm meant to structure my answer for this question as we have never done it in class before. Could anyone help? (I do the AQA spec btw)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I do A level politics and I normally get A's on my 25 markers and I use this formula for literally all of them. I do Edexell Politics btw not AQA but its probably the same thing.

1)Intro- Give a definition of what you are talking about, give a brief outline of the arguments you are going to make, give a brief conclusion.
2)Give two arguments for- Make sure each argument has an example.
3)Give two arguments against- Again, each argument needs an example.
4)Conclusion-Summarize all of the arguments you have made and GIVE YOUR OVERALL JUDGMENT. You have to give an overall judgment or your marks will be very limited.

If you want to send the actually essay you are struggling with in that would help as I could provide more detail:smile:

Make sure you spend 5 mins planning before you actually start to write the essay as it will save so much time and make your writing a lot more focused.

Good luck!
i do aqa politics.

i don't really have a structure but this is what i usually do

intro - explain the key term in the question

3 / 4 paragraphs picking apart the extract, focusing on one point at a time - analyse and evaluate. add in your own knowledge/case studies/facts to support or oppose the argument in the extract. bring in provenance - is the source biased? what is the publisher, author, etc. place this anywhere tbh, intro/main body/conclusion - without it you won't get a high mark

conclusion - basically summarising the article's points and whether or not they're credible and why

if you'd like, i can share you one of my extract qs, just drop me a DM with a particular topic
Reply 3
Original post by moso2203
i do aqa politics.

3 / 4 paragraphs picking apart the extract, focusing on one point at a time - analyse and evaluate. add in your own knowledge/case studies/facts to support or oppose the argument in the extract. bring in provenance - is the source biased? what is the publisher, author, etc. place this anywhere tbh, intro/main body/conclusion - without it you won't get a high mark

conclusion - basically summarising the article's points and whether or not they're credible and why

if you'd like, i can share you one of my extract qs, just drop me a DM with a particular topic

Hi, I do Aqa politics too and I'm really stuck with an extract 25 marker question on arguments for and against the primary and caucus system I've got my main points I'm just struggling to structure the essay especially the intro. hope someone can help!
Reply 4
hey i was wonderiyou could help me answer this extract questionn the deadline is 12pm tonight and i havent got anywhereAnalyse, evaluate and compare the arguments in the below article over criticisms of the appointment and nomination process to the Supreme CourtThe highest court of appeal of the US judicial branch consists of the chief justice, currently Justice Roberts, and eight justices, who are all nominated by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate, a role conferred by the Constitution. Justices are appointed for life which leaves the president with no power as to how many appointments they can make to the court. The appointment and confirmation process has been criticised for being heavily politicised in that nominees are chosen not on their merit but on their ideological philosophy. Thus the appointments and confirmation process have been criticised as being a political battleground between the two major parties. Whilst the process encourages the exercise of checks and balances, in that oversight is performed by the senate to confirm a nominee, surely this power can be abused? Robert Bork would certainly contend so. Politicisation is not unexpected as US Supreme Court appointment and confirmation process does not start from an independent body like the Judicial Appointments Commission in the UK. Thus the appointment and confirmation system does have significant disadvantages, but there are advantages; presidents cannot subordinate those they appoint and in comparison to the UK Supreme Court, the US Supreme Court is far more diverse in both gender and ethnicity. One advantage of the Supreme Court is that it is unelected, meaning that it can safely practice the law without being swayed by public opinion. Moreover, it provides checks and balances on executive power so that the president cannot become a dictator.Essay found on website ‘marked by teachers’. Written in 2015.Pick out three or four arguments in the extractFor each argument:· Identify and explain the point, perhaps using a quotation.· Fully support the point using your own examples· Counter the argument.· If a point disagrees to a previous point- compare which is stronger- perhaps using a synoptic link. (This outweighs…. However, this does not balance the previous argument that….)Provenance paragraph· Write a paragraph evaluating the provenance. Consider:· Expertise and background of the author.· Type of publication- newspaper the time period it was written in;· purpose- to inform or persuade or influence.Conclusion· You need to agree or disagree with the issue in the question.
Hi, would you have any tips on answering a 25 mark extract question on classical vs modern liberalism?
Original post by Tianni123
Hi, would you have any tips on answering a 25 mark extract question on classical vs modern liberalism?

use your notes
make sure you include at least 2 key thinkers intro - overall summary on what they agree on on and how they differ ) basically list ur points u will make in the essay ) structure :your point - how are they same and how they differ eg both strands agree on the role of the state to enhance individuals freedoms BUT they differ in the way it's done Modern liberals - done by limited government ( put a key thinker ) classical liberals - enabling state link - back to the question ^^^ do this 3 x then conclusion summary of. main points
Original post by Tianni123

make sure you include at least 2 key thinkers intro - overall summary on what they agree on on and how they differ ) basically list ur points u will make in the essay ) structure :your point - how are they same and how they differ eg both strands agree on the role of the state to enhance individuals freedoms BUT they differ in the way it's done Modern liberals - done by limited government ( put a key thinker ) classical liberals - enabling state link - back to the question ^^^ do this 3 x then conclusion summary of. main points
could you send the essay please?
Original post by cxrmen
I'm really struggling with how I'm meant to structure my answer for this question as we have never done it in class before. Could anyone help? (I do the AQA spec btw)

I have updated this to reflect AQA's recent modification of its mark distribution. They now require significantly more political analysis. To account for this, rather than writing six main body arguments, you now only have to do four, albeit beefier, paragraphs.

The inclusion of synoptic links is paramount. In the absence of this, you will be capped at a grade C. Synoptic links are examples or points from your other papers (Paper 2 and Paper 3). These links do not have to be thorough or in-depth, it is something you merely mention in-passing so the examiner can check a box that they have been included.

For example, if you're making the point that First-Past-the-Post is disproportionate, simply adding to it that the Electoral College in the USA is also disproportionate will be considered a synoptic link.

Generally speaking, it is recommended that you include two synoptic links (one from Paper 2 and one from Paper 3). You only need to include synoptic links in the essay question, it is not necessary for the source question.

Below is the structure for the essay questions. Your analysis must be in-depth even if your argument is lacklustre, decent analysis will allow you to pick up good marks. For example, if your argument is that First-Past-the-Post discriminates against minor parties, your analysis would be the implications this has on democracy, parliamentary representation and plurality. This, ideally, should be the largest section of your paragraph.

ESSAY QUESTIONS
Introduction:
· Define any key terms within the question
· Argument for (Be specific)
· Argument against (Be specific)
· Your initial judgement which argument is the most convincing and why?

Argument 1 (For the Statement)
· Point
· Evidence (A current affairs example where applicable, include the date so it is considered 'specific')
· Analysis (This should be the biggest part of your paragraph and of considerable length)
· Link

Argument 2 (Against the Statement)
· Point
· Evidence (A current affairs example where applicable, include the date so it is considered 'specific')
· Analysis (This should be the biggest part of your paragraph and of considerable length)
· Link

Argument 1 (For the Statement)
· Point
· Link

Argument 2 (Against the Statement)
· Point
· Link

Conclusion:
· Overall, why does your argument remain the most convincing?
· Counter your opinion and summarily dismiss it
· Continue to justify your opinion using examples

SOURCE QUESTIONS
Introduction:
· Define any key terms within the question
· Argument 1 of the source
· Argument 2 of the source
· Provenance (Consider the political leanings of the source, notable events that occurred during its publication, etc.)
· Your initial judgement which argument is the most convincing and why?

Argument 1 of the source
· Point
· Link

Argument 2 of the source
· Point
· Link

Argument 1 of the source
· Point
· Link

Argument 2 of the source
· Point
· Link

Conclusion:
· Overall, why does your argument remain the most convincing?
· Counter your opinion and summarily dismiss it
· Link back to the provenance
· Continue to justify your opinion using examples

The conclusion has significant weighting concerning your marks. Thus, it should be the largest paragraph of all six. If you are running out of time and only have three paragraphs, you should skip your main body and just move on to your conclusion.

The most notable difference between essay questions and source questions is the inclusion of quotes and provenance. Your arguments can be reasonably flexible, if you can think of a separate argument that links to the quote you have isolated, use it.

The provenance is vital. Previously, excluding provenance would drop a candidate from an A* to an A. Now, it has the potential to drop candidates from an A* to a C. It can considerably hinder marks, you must include it in both your introduction and conclusion, where you will link back to it.
(edited 11 months ago)
Is it possible if you can send me one of your extract q's on devolution or PM and cabinet pleaseee?would be an absolute life saver.
Original post by cxrmen

Hi! I do AQA politics too and using this structure I made I mostly get A*s in my essays.

Introduction (1 paragraphs):
- define any key terms
- give out brief context in terms of question
- set out arguments for and against the question
- state opinion on which argument is stronger
- provenance of source

Argument for (2 paragraphs):
- take quote from extract
- PQEEL (point, quote, evidence, explain, link)
+ state point
+ use quote from source to back up (this does not count as evidence)
+ give evidence
+ explain
+ give external examples and reference to paragraph (critique example)
+ link back to point/ quote
- reliability/ evaluate
- provide counterargument
- how well it supports the argument

Argument against (2 paragraphs):
+ state point
+ give evidence
+ explain
- reliability/ evaluate

Conclusion: (1 paragraph):
- state overall judgement
- refer to earlier evidence (1)
- discredit counterargument
- effect on future politics
- answer question (literally just state whether or not u agree with it)
is it possible if you could send an example question youve done? So i can make sure im on the right track- Us or Uk politics please
Hi yeah its about the American constitution please a extract question
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by superpossible1
i do aqa politics.

hey, can i see one of your extract questions? i will be glad as i have my mock less than 4 days haha
i do aqa politics.

can you please share one of your extract questions (i also do AQA politics) this would acc help me so much.
i do aqa politics.

Hey, do you mind if you can help me with my source question please?
Original post by oliviaar_
Hi! I do AQA politics too and using this structure I made I mostly get A*s in my essays.

Introduction (1 paragraphs):
- define any key terms
- give out brief context in terms of question
- set out arguments for and against the question
- state opinion on which argument is stronger
- provenance of source

Argument for (2 paragraphs):
+ state point
+ give evidence
+ explain
- reliability/ evaluate

Argument against (2 paragraphs):
+ state point
+ give evidence
+ explain
- reliability/ evaluate

Conclusion: (1 paragraph):
- state overall judgement
- refer to earlier evidence (1)
- discredit counterargument
- effect on future politics
- answer question (literally just state whether or not u agree with it)

Thank you sm for this!!! Ur a lifesaver but if the quote doesn't count as evidence then where do u find it from?!
How do you evaluate on a paper 3 extract question. I know that in paper 2 you would bring in counter points along with argue what one is most convincing, however this does not seem applicable in a paper 3 question (AQA), does anyone know how to best structure a paper 3 extract question, thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending