The Student Room Group

Someone told me I look "like a child"

Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started :colonhash:

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

I smile as I always do which is like this :smile: ...lol

She then asks me, "Are you in this class?"

I'm like :erm: Then I say, "yes," almost in exasperation.

She says, "Oh! :redface: I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

I go =| but I feel angry so I just keep walking lol

She says, "it's a compliment, no?" and laughs.

:confused:

How on earth is telling a woman in her 20s she "looks like a child?"

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child? :frown:

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

:frown:

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

I mean how can I look "older?" :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Maggie_O
Ok so I came from a lecture today and I've been going since term started :colonhash:

This woman leaves the class with me after it's done, and she says while holding the door open: "There you go my darling."

She says, "Oh! :redface: I thought you were someone's child, you look like a child."

It's weird to me because as a teen, I was told I look older. Now I look like a child? :frown:

And when I was walking into a corner shop once pushing a shopping trolley (lol), the door guy says "whoa don't run me over!" And I giggle. And then he says something I don't remember but then says, "You look 12."

By the way I'm 5'4 and 9 stone, and kinda curvy, kinda athletic physique. I don't wear makeup or show skin. I wear my hair in a big updo. I carry a purse.

Don't change your appearance on the basis of a few comments. Some times people think I look quite a bit younger when I don't wear makeup and have my hair tied back etc....

If you really want to look older then makeup can do a lot for you, also what you wear and how you do your hair

Posted from TSR Mobile
This ONE woman is making you change your whole outlook on your life lol? She's probably trying to make you feel uncomfortable cos she gets off at those kind of things.
Reply 3
Original post by Jenx301
Don't change your appearance on the basis of a few comments. Some times people think I look quite a bit younger when I don't wear makeup and have my hair tied back etc....

If you really want to look older then makeup can do a lot for you, also what you wear and how you do your hair

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm. I have a very clean face like not even eyeliner. I guess I can do a little something, I'm so sick of this. I feel bad because I feel maybe this is why guys target me and why older people don't respect me. Because they think I'm young and dumb or weak or something? Idk it really bothers me lool

Hmm I wear no fringe and have my hair pulled up so I get like feline eyes and a stretched forehead. Is that youthful?

Hm I dress like this. But I don't think it's my clothes. Who doesn't wear jeans and a jacket? Must be my face or how I walk, how I stand? God. :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Starvation13
This ONE woman is making you change your whole outlook on your life lol? She's probably trying to make you feel uncomfortable cos she gets off at those kind of things.

I was thinking that but I explained to Jenx what it really is. And not just her, but I've got it several times, I put more than one example in the OP??? I feel people think I'm younger so deserve less respect and I'm sick of it.

I just want to know how to look older/maturer. She could be being mean but if it's a necessary change...
I was thinking that but I explained to Jenx what it really is. And not just her, but I've got it several times, I put more than one example in the OP??? I feel people think I'm younger so deserve less respect and I'm sick of it.

I just want to know how to look older/maturer. She could be being mean but if it's a necessary change...

I'm sorry but I don't have any beauty tips LOL,

Good luck on your search though.
Reply 6
I'm sorry but I don't have any beauty tips LOL,

Good luck on your search though.

Just gtfo my thread if you're gonna laugh, sicko.
Just gtfo my thread if you're gonna laugh, sicko.

Well that escalated quickly :K:. I was laughing at the fact that I'm a boy and I won't have any beauty tips for you...

And how does the word 'sicko' come into this....
Reply 8
Most people born after 1987 do look like large children to older people. It's surprisingly common. You can't do a whole lot about it except maybe dress older? Try not to use teenage slang or lazy english in conversation, i.e "the other day, I was, like, crossing the road, and like, I saw.... "
Reply 9
Well that escalated quickly :K:. I was laughing at the fact that I'm a boy and I won't have any beauty tips for you...

And how does the word 'sicko' come into this....

I am obviously very upset by this or I wouldn't make a thread so if you have nothing useful to say and want to post LOL then it seems sick to laugh at someone's pain.
Reply 10
Original post by noggins
Most people born after 1987 do look like large children to older people. It's surprisingly common. You can't do a whole lot about it except maybe dress older? Try not to use teenage slang or lazy english in conversation, i.e "the other day, I was, like, crossing the road, and like, I saw.... "

My language has nothing to do with it. She's never heard me speak. I said I look like a child, not talk like one.

It has to be my face such as someone said me not wearing makeup.
Idk I still don't get it. Normally being called a child is a compliment for old women not a young woman trying to blossom as an adult. This really upsets me oh boy :redface:
I am obviously very upset by this or I wouldn't make a thread so if you have nothing useful to say and want to post LOL then it seems sick to laugh at someone's pain.

I wasn't laughing at you, rather laughing at myself. Though now I realise how upset you actually are about this due to the speed at which you reply. Sorry if I pissed you off...
Reply 12
I wasn't laughing at you, rather laughing at myself. Though now I realise how upset you actually are about this due to the speed at which you reply. Sorry if I pissed you off...

You're just being antagonizing. :rolleyes:

*blocks*

You could have just told her she looked like a grandma....and moved on with your life.
Reply 14
Original post by zedeneye1
You could have just told her she looked like a grandma....and moved on with your life.

Idk if she's trying to insult me, but this has woken a deep seated insecurity that I look like I don't deserve respect. I always feel the need to fight fight fight. Not understanding why the people who are nasty to me, are nasty to me. I figure it's me because the same criticism keeps popping up! >.< This isn't a joke thread, I really am annoyed.
You're just being antagonizing. :rolleyes:

*blocks*

Hey, I wasn't trying to be antagonising. Just apologising....
Idk if she's trying to insult me, but this has woken a deep seated insecurity that I look like I don't deserve respect. I always feel the need to fight fight fight. Not understanding why the people who are nasty to me, are nasty to me. I figure it's me because the same criticism keeps popping up! >.< This isn't a joke thread, I really am annoyed.

You can post a pic of you, so we can better analyze the situation and help you.
I'm a male in my early twenties.

Most people (around our age) think I'm on or around 25

I get older people thinking I'm still at school :frown: It's not a compliment at all to me haha, it's actually insulting. But they don't man any harm by it and don't mean it in a malicious way. I've had older women literally talk to me as if I was 15 or something and it's just a really weird thing to go through XD

I think some people go by faces, maybe you just have a young face?

You have to take into account people's mannerisms; the things they say, how they carry themselves; clothes etc. Obviously she didn't :biggrin:

Just do you...if people get your age wrong then mehhhh so be it. *shrugs*
Reply 18
Original post by MaseratiJay
I'm a male in my early twenties.

Most people (around our age) think I'm on or around 25

I get older people thinking I'm still at school :frown: It's not a compliment at all to me haha, it's actually insulting. But they don't man any harm by it and don't mean it in a malicious way. I've had older women literally talk to me as if I was 15 or something and it's just a really weird thing to go through XD

I think some people go by faces, maybe you just have a young face?

You have to take into account people's mannerisms; the things they say, how they carry themselves; clothes etc. Obviously she didn't :biggrin:

Just do you...if people get your age wrong then mehhhh so be it. *shrugs*

I'm saying, maybe it is how I carry myself? I hate this what a bitch. :redface:
I'm just going to google how to look maturer. Idk.
Reply 19
I just read something that says wearing my hair up accentuates youthful features :colonhash:

That's such a trivial thing to make such a difference, so annoying, as I love my hairstyle.

Also, dark concealer to narrow face
and light concealer for the forehead.

This will take some mother****ing practice.

Quick Reply

Latest