The Student Room Group

[Deleted]
(edited 6 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beforesunsets
Hello, sorry for the vague title I'm just didn't know what to write for it since its a bit complicated. This might be a bit long so heads up. *Please don't quote this in replies as I might delete later, thank you.*

Basically, I don't think I'm in love with my bf. I've felt this for a while. Initially we met an online app which means we were both looking for partners. Theses things usually don't go far for me. I can't keep conversations online for long but somehow I got emotionally invested and he was stubborn enough to stay despite my issues getting close.

We kept this all online for over a year. I was way too anxious and insecure to meet and my fear heightened the closer I got to him. At that time I genuinely felt like I couldve been or was in love. It was confusing but it was the closest I've ever felt to someone emotionally so we both said it to each other. At some point this scared me so I called it off and he still stayed while insisting he would just be my friend. So it was like half of me wanted that relationship because of the feelings I was getting and the other half was way too scared and wanted to push him away before it become deep.

Long story short, I eventually agreed to meet up which was incredibly anxiety inducing for me to the point that I threw up. I nearly called it off but I was already out (like planned) and wanted to get it over with to move past my fear. I met him and he looked different from his pictures. Not massively, it was the same person. The same person I face timed with too but he clearly used photos that were like 2-3 years older. Usually wouldn't make a big difference except the fact that his appearance changed quite a bit. Not to be shallow but he had more weight and long hair so definitely looked different. I don't condemn him for this or anything. I hate even mentioning this because it feels judgemental and icky (especially after how scared I was he wouldn't find me attractive) but it's relevant.

It wasn't just the unexpected appearance it was also seeing this person as an actually person and not the idolised version I made up in my head. And unfortunately, that was my fault for not meeting straight away. I just never expected it to go as far as it did as it usually doesn't. In hindsight, I'd never do that again. I'd meet someone before becoming emotionally invested in them and see if we were compatible as real human interactions are so nessisary for dating.

But this was the situation I was stuck with now and after reflecting for a few months I knew I wasn't in love. I friendzoned him for a while because deep down I knew this, yet he was still like my best friend so we didn't stop talking. He didn't stop expressing his feelings about me. And I admit I enjoyed the attention and feeling loved/appreciated as I never have felt this kind before. Thought I was clear that it wasn't going to process beyond flirtatious comments. Though after meeting a few more times through the months. I was interested in starting to date again, but I felt like I couldn't. As if I was almost cheating by doing that as at this point whenever I said we are friends he would be like "yeah suree" as if he definitely thought we weren't. Thus I felt like a cheater despite not being in a relationship.

No matter how clear I was about the friendship, he would stubbornly stay hoping I changed my mind. So I gave up and just said f*ck it one day. Told him I'll be his girlfriend because then when we enviably broke up it might get through his head finally. It's been a few months and we go on dates occasionally (as he lives far he has to visit every few months). And now he is happy to discuss moving in together and future plans like marriage.

I can't help but feel trapped in this. I desperately wish I was attracted to him but I cannot even bring myself to let him touch me. I crave mutual love and having a relationship with someone I can see a future with. I have so many fun dates and love to give and it just sucks how if I did any of my ideas I wouldn't enjoy it with someone I'm not into. I absolutely value his friendship and appreciate everything he has done for me. I'm 100% sure he will make a girl really happy. That's just isn't going to be me.

I know you will all say break up and stop dragging it along. Its just difficult right now after his birthday just passed, it's not too long away until Christmas, he's planning all these ideas, and admittedly I'm really scared of losing one closest friend. I don't really talk to my 2 friends that often so it will be really sad to lose someone I've been consistently close and talking to every day. The first person I'll tell good news to. I feel like I'll be really lonely after it happens but I know it's for the best if I ever want a proper relationship with someone again. The idea alone of ever getting close to someone like this again or having someone love me sounds other worldly to me.

This was mostly just a rant post. I don't expect anyone to know the perfect solution to this problem. If anyone has similar stories or advice, general opinions on the this then please share. Thank you so much for reading :smile:

Have you slept with him? I would just end things because you don't want to live this lie for any longer
You're being selfish.
Break up with him ASAP.
Original post by Big Beth Girl
Have you slept with him? I would just end things because you don't want to live this lie for any longer

You might want to edit your post to remove the quote as per the thread starter's request.
Yeah ngl its sad for him to think you still like him when u dont , rip the band aid off
Xxx

Please move on.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 6

No, I haven't. You're right, I will end things. Do you mind removing your quote please, thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by Wired_1800
Please move on.

I'm trying to figure out a way to end things that aren't just out of the blue. I am trying to move forward. Could you please remove your quote, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by shaanfarooq1
Yeah ngl its sad for him to think you still like him when u dont , rip the band aid off

I do like him just not love him. It causes a lot of tension and frustration on probably both of our parts as I can be closed off. I can't just break up out of no where either, we talk normally right now and it feel like it came from no where. But I don't plan on wasting his or my time that much longer. Thank you for your comment.
Reply 9
Original post by nonchalant-
You're being selfish.
Break up with him ASAP.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I wouldn't label myself selfish as you don't know how much money or time I've invested in trying to make things work. I am planning on ending it as you can read in the last paragraph.
There was a point where i was like why would you do this to yourself - completely understandable, i don't blame you. Umm something similar happened to me but i just blocked him after he started being too pushy. I can't get attached to people, have issues with commiting so i am solely focusing on myself. But since you got attached to him i guess set limits. yk how you mentioned flirtatious comments maybe restrict them and don't react as you usually would so maybe just mayvbe he will get the hint if you don't wanna completely cut him out of your life.
Also i personally found that focusing on myself and doing what i love made me happier - so i hope you could consider that and not be afraid of losing a friend. I too experienced it, i broke it off with my best friend of 7 years as we just grew apart and got too different and have different interests in life as well as lifestyle. anyway, key point from this - do not be afraid to cut people out no matter how scary it may be, if you want to be happy you gotta make sacrifices first. Also find programs to participate in where you meet new people. I volunteer at a charity and have made many new friends - something you might consider.
Hello, sorry for the vague title I'm just didn't know what to write for it since its a bit complicated. This might be a bit long so heads up. *Please don't quote this in replies as I might delete later, thank you.*

Basically, I don't think I'm in love with my bf. I've felt this for a while. Initially we met an online app which means we were both looking for partners. Theses things usually don't go far for me. I can't keep conversations online for long but somehow I got emotionally invested and he was stubborn enough to stay despite my issues getting close.

We kept this all online for over a year. I was way too anxious and insecure to meet and my fear heightened the closer I got to him. At that time I genuinely felt like I couldve been or was in love. It was confusing but it was the closest I've ever felt to someone emotionally so we both said it to each other. At some point this scared me so I called it off and he still stayed while insisting he would just be my friend. So it was like half of me wanted that relationship because of the feelings I was getting and the other half was way too scared and wanted to push him away before it become deep.

Long story short, I eventually agreed to meet up which was incredibly anxiety inducing for me to the point that I threw up. I nearly called it off but I was already out (like planned) and wanted to get it over with to move past my fear. I met him and he looked different from his pictures. Not massively, it was the same person. The same person I face timed with too but he clearly used photos that were like 2-3 years older. Usually wouldn't make a big difference except the fact that his appearance changed quite a bit. Not to be shallow but he had more weight and long hair so definitely looked different. I don't condemn him for this or anything. I hate even mentioning this because it feels judgemental and icky (especially after how scared I was he wouldn't find me attractive) but it's relevant.

It wasn't just the unexpected appearance it was also seeing this person as an actually person and not the idolised version I made up in my head. And unfortunately, that was my fault for not meeting straight away. I just never expected it to go as far as it did as it usually doesn't. In hindsight, I'd never do that again. I'd meet someone before becoming emotionally invested in them and see if we were compatible as real human interactions are so nessisary for dating.

But this was the situation I was stuck with now and after reflecting for a few months I knew I wasn't in love. I friendzoned him for a while because deep down I knew this, yet he was still like my best friend so we didn't stop talking. He didn't stop expressing his feelings about me. And I admit I enjoyed the attention and feeling loved/appreciated as I never have felt this kind before. Thought I was clear that it wasn't going to process beyond flirtatious comments. Though after meeting a few more times through the months. I was interested in starting to date again, but I felt like I couldn't. As if I was almost cheating by doing that as at this point whenever I said we are friends he would be like "yeah suree" as if he definitely thought we weren't. Thus I felt like a cheater despite not being in a relationship.

No matter how clear I was about the friendship, he would stubbornly stay hoping I changed my mind. So I gave up and just said f*ck it one day. Told him I'll be his girlfriend because then when we enviably broke up it might get through his head finally. It's been a few months and we go on dates occasionally (as he lives far he has to visit every few months). And now he is happy to discuss moving in together and future plans like marriage.

I can't help but feel trapped in this. I desperately wish I was attracted to him but I cannot even bring myself to let him touch me. I crave mutual loveand having a relationship with someone I can see a future with. I have so many fun dates and love to give and it just sucks how if I did any of my ideas I wouldn't enjoy it with someone I'm not into. I absolutely value his friendship and appreciate everything he has done for me. I'm 100% sure he will make a girl really happy. That's just isn't going to be me.

I know you will all say break up and stop dragging it along. Its just difficult right now after his birthday just passed, it's not too long away until Christmas, he's planning all these ideas, and admittedly I'm really scared of losing one closest friend. I don't really talk to my 2 friends that often so it will be really sad to lose someone I've been consistently close and talking to every day. The first person I'll tell good news to. I feel like I'll be really lonely after it happens but I know it's for the best if I ever want a proper relationship with someone again. The idea alone of ever getting close to someone like this again or having someone love me sounds other worldly to me.

This was mostly just a rant post. I don't expect anyone to know the perfect solution to this problem. If anyone has similar stories or advice, general opinions on the this then please share. Thank you so much for reading :smile:

I can see you've put a lot of thought into this and its not like your meaning to drag this out. Your feelings and whole process of it is stressful and you feel like you cant catch up with anything thats happening around you. Please remember that you can find a different friend, he's not the only guy out there and by dragging it out even more, ur only going to hurt both of you guys even more. I would advise you to break up with him before Christmas so you dont feel bad for anything he's done or implied.
To be quite frank, you have to rip off the bandaid. like rip it off. Trying to find the perfcet time wont really work and if it did, it would take ages, especially as you've known him for ages. waiting will just make things more tense for you.
My friend had something similar to this and i kept telling her to end it as soon as possible but she didnt and the more time that went past, the more she was worried and more far in.

Just remember that you're not a bad person or a bad friend for doing this, ur saving urself and him, if you establish your feelings towards him, he might understand and still want to be your friend.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I wouldn't label myself selfish as you don't know how much money or time I've invested in trying to make things work. I am planning on ending it as you can read in the last paragraph.

You're wasting what really matters, time.
You're wasting his time. And your dragging this for your own selfish reasons, which you kind of admitted to, because you don't want to feel lonely.

I can't help but feel trapped in this. I desperately wish I was attracted to him but I cannot even bring myself to let him touch me. I crave mutual love and having a relationship with someone I can see a future with. I have so many fun dates and love to give and it just sucks how if I did any of my ideas I wouldn't enjoy it with someone I'm not into. I absolutely value his friendship and appreciate everything he has done for me. I'm 100% sure he will make a girl really happy. That's just isn't going to be me.

I know you don't want to hear this but the more you drag it out, you become more worse as a person. "You'll be lonely" "enjoyed the attention and feeling loved/appreciated" if thats whats making you stay then i can assure you, you can find a relationship where you can feel like that whilst also giving it back. As you're not giving it back, you dont like him back, and you may not have given us all the details - you just seem like your using him to make ur confidence bigger and lowkey a parasite. ofc ur not a totally bad person bc i get why you haven't done this, things are going quickly and you dont know the right things to say. One thing i will tell you that is just to stop it asap

hii
I've been in a situation like this, it only lasted for a solid 6 months? But we saw each other quickly. To put it blunt, end it as quick as you can. I wish i did that before i started feeling more worse rip
Reply 15
Original post by Admit-One
You might want to edit your post to remove the quote as per the thread starter's request.

Since when has this been a thing?
I'm trying to figure out a way to end things that aren't just out of the blue. I am trying to move forward. Could you please remove your quote, thank you.

Be honest about it.

I have removed the quote
Reply 17

You used up all his time and affection. You decided he's not good enough for you, but you still want his attention and friendship on your terms.

You think that it is very remote that you will find someone to love you, yet you have someone in front of you giving you that, but you want to keep him as a pet.

Seriously, how would you feel if he agreed to be your friend, but then did find the hypothetical made-up other girl, and then (quite justifiably) spent all his time and affection on her? You'd be sad and alone, right?

This is just beyond my ability to understand. You seem to be waiting around for someone that you pretty much know isn't going to happen.
Original post by Admit-One

I don't know how to do that
I don't know how to do that

There's a link to edit it in the bottom right corner of your post, next to the orange quote and reply buttons.

Original post by Anonymous
I can see you've put a lot of thought into this and its not like your meaning to drag this out. Your feelings and whole process of it is stressful and you feel like you cant catch up with anything thats happening around you. Please remember that you can find a different friend, he's not the only guy out there and by dragging it out even more, ur only going to hurt both of you guys even more. I would advise you to break up with him before Christmas so you dont feel bad for anything he's done or implied.
To be quite frank, you have to rip off the bandaid. like rip it off. Trying to find the perfcet time wont really work and if it did, it would take ages, especially as you've known him for ages. waiting will just make things more tense for you.
My friend had something similar to this and i kept telling her to end it as soon as possible but she didnt and the more time that went past, the more she was worried and more far in.

Just remember that you're not a bad person or a bad friend for doing this, ur saving urself and him, if you establish your feelings towards him, he might understand and still want to be your friend.

You might want to do the same as you've quoted it in full 2-3 times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending