The Student Room Group

Teaching yourself A2 Further Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ombtom
Thank you :smile: I was quite shocked when I found out that only ~200 people do the M5 exam each year.

Yeah, it's quite a niche module, but props to anyone that has the nerve to attempt it!
Reply 41
Original post by Student403
Does m3 require a lot of knowledge from m2?

"Yes."
Reply 42
Original post by Wahrheit
You can teach yourself D2 in like 3 days, there's very little content. If you decide to teach yourself FP3, do it in addition to D2 rather than instead of, that's my advice. I believe Edexcel and OCR organise FP2 and FP3 differently, eg we had differential equations in FP3 and polar coordinates in FP2, might be different for Edexcel or AQA. As far as giving yourself a head start for uni, FP2 and FP3 will be the most important modules to take, though.

That's great advice. It'll also give an edge over other applicants, which I'm told is especially important for people taking a year out before University.
I will definitely consider it, it's not like there is anything I have to lose.
Original post by Jamdroid
Hi,

How hard is it to self teach A2 Further Maths?
I'm intending to do the modules FP2, M3, and D2. I'm currently studying AS Further Maths and A2 maths in college, and in order to get to one of the higher universities need the full further maths (especially since I'm currently only studying 2 A2s).
The modules I will have after this year are: C1, C2, S1, C3, C4, D1, FP1, M1 and M2.

I got an A last year in AS Maths, and am finding FP1 straight forward, and enjoying Mechanics.

How hard is FP2 to teach myself? Do you think M3 and D2 are good applied modules to study (given I really like mechanics)?

EDIT: Exam board is Edexcel

M3 is as hard as FP3 in my opinion. FP2 is easier than M3 however it is a bit harder than C4.
I'm self teaching FP3, M4 and M5 (edexcel). I haven't started M4 or M5 yet but have just completed learning FP3 (took me 2 weeks) and have started doing questions. With any maths module, the content is easy enough to learn but it's the applying part that is the real obstacle and it takes a lot of practice. The questions in FP3 imo are much much harder than those in FP2 and M3. And M4 and M5 are said to be even harder.. great :banghead:
Reply 45
I am self teaching OCR FM, after doing AS FM. Doing C3,C4,FP1,FP2,FP3,M1,M2,M3,D1. (yay...)
Original post by Zacken
You might need some vector stuff from FP3, but otherwise, M5 doesn't really depend on FP3.

Oh right, I have only done m1 and c4 vectors at this point.
Reply 47
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
Oh right, I have only done m1 and c4 vectors at this point.

As far as I know, it's mainly the vector knowledge needed to know how to solve vector differential equations.
Original post by Zacken
As far as I know, it's mainly the vector knowledge needed to know how to solve vector differential equations.

Sounds fun.

I am confident with 1ST ORDER DES need to practice more on the transformations.
Original post by Zacken

Vector differential equations..? :facepalm:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12

That's only the first point in the book XD

Why did I put M5 down on my UCAS form
Why did I put M5 down on my UCAS form

Hahaha don't worry bro 4 chapters in M5 (for edexcel at least)
Reply 53

It's really not that bad. :rofl:

Wait, not PDEs though right?
Original post by Louisb19

*pretends to know what that is*
*pretends to know what that is*

When people say vectors and differential equations my brain goes to PDEs. PDEs are used for differential equations where there is more than 2 variables, so for vectors you could have i, j and z and therefore you would need PDEs. Doubt its in the A-Level syllabus though.
Hi, I will be teaching my self M3 M4 and FP2, I've done c1-c4, m1,m2 s1 fp1 d1.. which part of these previous modules should I get back on to make the modules I will be doing easier, bit rusty atm.
When people say vectors and differential equations my brain goes to PDEs. PDEs are used for differential equations where there is more than 2 variables, so for vectors you could have i, j and z and therefore you would need PDEs. Doubt its in the A-Level syllabus though.

I haven't looked at Edexcel M5 but I think it would be more along the lines of system ODEs than PDEs(ie. the dependent variable is a vector, but the independent is a scalar).
Reply 59

Not PDE's - they are still strictly ODE's in the sense that a vector is still only one variable with many different components whilst a PDE has more than one variable.

Plus, the solution to a linear ODE forms a finite-dimensional vector space whilst a solution to a linear PDE forms an infinite dimension vector space, so yeah. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest