The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

How can i make my Imperial application for EEE stand out with no Further Maths?

Hi everyone
Im starting year 14 this september, in NI (year 13 for you England people)
I want to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial. I do Maths, Physics, Biology and Economics, unfortunately no Further Maths, my school didnt offer it directly, you would have to go to a different school 15 mins away for classes (dont know if i can use this as an excuse) but the option was there, i was just too much of an idiot to realise i actually needed it. Im quite strong mathwise, I just heard that some unis dont think of maths and FM as 2 seperate subjects so i rejected the idea.
I have not got my AS results yet let alone predicted grades but im confident i will get 4 A*s this year
My question is in the title, what can i do between now and January 31st that can make my application stand out? I am en route to complete 2 MOOC, I have entered the Immerse Education essay competition, I will read atleast 2 books on some topics in EEE, currently teaching myself a programming language (python, might learn some C++ too), have 2 good and relevent work experiences under my belt and will ask my tecahers about EPQ or project ideas when I go back.
But all this might be completely useless if top unis such as ICL and UCL disregard my application or favour those with FM.
so what can i do to enhance my applcation?
any advice would be appreciated even if it is more recommendations on the things ive mentioned above. (i hope i dont sound like im boasting thats not the idea at all, i just want to share what ive done and what i can improve on)
thank you
edit: ive also not rejected the idea of self teaching myslef AS further maths, my workload will be realtively small until october so i have almost 4 good months to tecah FM to myself, but i will probably only complete AS and not A2, would doing this be worth it?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by ftariq241
Hi everyone
Im starting year 14 this september, in NI (year 13 for you England people)
I want to study Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Imperial. I do Maths, Physics, Biology and Economics, unfortunately no Further Maths, my school didnt offer it directly, you would have to go to a different school 15 mins away for classes (dont know if i can use this as an excuse) but the option was there, i was just too much of an idiot to realise i actually needed it. Im quite strong mathwise, I just heard that some unis dont think of maths and FM as 2 seperate subjects so i rejected the idea.
I have not got my AS results yet let alone predicted grades but im confident i will get 4 A*s this year
My question is in the title, what can i do between now and January 31st that can make my application stand out? I am en route to complete 2 MOOC, I have entered the Immerse Education essay competition, I will read atleast 2 books on some topics in EEE, currently teaching myself a programming language (python, might learn some C++ too), have 2 good and relevent work experiences under my belt and will ask my tecahers about EPQ or project ideas when I go back.
But all this might be completely useless if top unis such as ICL and UCL disregard my application or favour those with FM.
so what can i do to enhance my applcation?
any advice would be appreciated even if it is more recommendations on the things ive mentioned above. (i hope i dont sound like im boasting thats not the idea at all, i just want to share what ive done and what i can improve on)
thank you
edit: ive also not rejected the idea of self teaching myslef AS further maths, my workload will be realtively small until october so i have almost 4 good months to tecah FM to myself, but i will probably only complete AS and not A2, would doing this be worth it?

All the extra things you’ve done like work experience, teaching yourself programming languages and reading about EEE are great things to do and should help you massively if you get invited for an interview. It sounds as if there is not much more outside of your subjects that you could do to increase your chances, but definitely learning AS FM will be helpful. Not only will there be another qualification on your application but the maths will help you a lot for 1st year maths module. I’m not doing EEE but chemical engineering at Imperial. I think the engineering courses 1st year maths module are pretty similar, especially for EEE you’ll be doing matrices, vectors, ODEs and complex numbers, all of which are further maths topics. I don’t know much about EEE admissions and i’m sure it’s more maths based than chemical engineering but if it helps, there’s plenty of people on my course who didn’t study FM, or only AS FM, even people who didn’t study physics and somehow got accepted. The subjects you take will favour admissions but if you have a really strong application like you do, once you’re invited to an interview you’ll probably be accepted.
(edited 9 months ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
What books do you plan on reading as I aim to study EEE as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending