The Student Room Group

What is Electronics A level like?

Heyy all,
I'm considering choosing electronics as one of my A levels (I'm also planning on doing computing, physics and maths). I'm just wondering what it's like? how difficult is it? is it enjoyable? etc. I haven't really got any experience with electronics I've done a bit of soldering but that's about it!

thanks in advance!
I do it for ALevel and absolutely love it! It's so interesting and amazing. I spent this weekend doing most of the work and catching up. I would say definitely take it alongside Physics and Maths. Perfect subject combination.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
its great, I enjoy it and its not that hard, don't expect to be doing much(/any) soldering though :tongue:

(I'm taking Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Computing and Electronics to A2 at the moment, and I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy electronics the most :smile:)
I did it as a 5th As level and it was good fun and it meant I'd covered most of the first year electronics when I got to uni, which was super useful.
Reply 4
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Electronics.

I enjoy Electronics the least out of the four; but that's simply because I like maths and physics so much. Electronics is still great fun though. It links in with Physics a little a bit. You tend to lean more about sub-systems in Electronics, and theory in Physics. Electronics doesn't contain a huge-amount of maths; it's all GCSE standard.

As for difficulty,

I scored 95% + in maths and physics. However, I scraped 80% in Electronics. This was probably due to the fact that I never opened an Electronics book, outside of lesson. I did about two weeks of revision before the summer exams and it turned out okay.

I would say it's a 'must-do' if you plan on going into Engineering, Computer Science or something similar. It's fairly useful for Physics.

PS: I originally chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and Computing. However, I dropped Computing after two weeks. I basically read through all the topics and it wasn't anything like Computer Science. It was more like IT with a bit of programming. No maths whatsoever.

Electronics > Computing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Electronics.

I enjoy Electronics the least out of the four; but that's simply because I like maths and physics so much. Electronics is still great fun though. It links in with Physics a little a bit. You tend to lean more about sub-systems in Electronics, and theory in Physics. Electronics doesn't contain a huge-amount of maths; it's all GCSE standard.

As for difficulty,

I scored 95% + in maths and physics. However, I scraped 80% in Electronics. This was probably due to the fact that I never opened an Electronics book, outside of lesson. I did about two weeks of revision before the summer exams and it turned out okay.

I would say it's a 'must-do' if you plan on going into Engineering, Computer Science or something similar. It's fairly useful for Physics.

PS: I originally chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Electronics and Computing. However, I dropped Computing after two weeks. I basically read through all the topics and it wasn't anything like Computer Science. It was more like IT with a bit of programming. No maths whatsoever.

Electronics > Computing.

Yeah computer science is a lot of theory and a pinch of coding, what you can teach yourself in computing is way more interesting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending