The Student Room Group

Chemistry C5 - Percentage Composition and Empirical Formula help

I've got a few questions and want to confirm if the answers are correct.

Question - Only question 13
Working out

All the images are attached in POST #4

Sorry guys, if my working out is unclear. I've written up my answers onto a word document and made a slight change in part (c) where I found a mistake in my working out and I've realised that I've changed the answer to something else which is hopefully correct.
I've only got my answers in this new picture - not the questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
I've got a few questions and want to confirm if the answers are correct.

Attachment not found
= Question = Only question 13
Attachment not found
= Working out

Sorry guys, if my working out is unclear. I've written up my answers onto a word document and made a slight change in part (c) where I found a mistake in my working out and I've realised that I've changed the answer to something else which is hopefully correct.
I've only got my answers in this new picture - not the questions.

Attachment not found

I'd like to help, but none of your links seem to work.
Reply 2
Original post by pineneedles

They work for me and possibly I've uploaded them from the iPad. I'll re-upload them on the computer now if the error doesn't occur -_-.
Reply 3
Original post by pineneedles

Here you go :smile:
Here you go :smile:

so you had no. of moles in the order of 3.225, 16.2 and 3.22.
to find the empirical formula you divide it by 3.22 which is the smallest out of 3.
so you get: 3.225/3.22=1.00... or 1
16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
3.22/3.22=1
basically you get decimal numbers and you round those no. because empirical formula is the simplest ratio and written in whole numbers and not in decimal.
don't think too much and you wrote 3.222 that's wrong because the original ans is 3.2214 and 4 is smaller than 5 so it will be 3.221 not 3.222.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by bakastudent
to find the empirical formula you divide it by 3.22 which is the smallest out of 3.
16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
3.22/3.22=1
basically you get decimal numbers and you round those no. because empirical formula is the simplest ratio and written in whole numbers and not in decimal.
don't think too much and you wrote 3.222 that's wrong because the original ans is 3.2214 and 4 is smaller than 5 so it will be 3.221 not 3.222.

Sorry, done this at late night lol.
Anyway, thanks, I was wondering the same thing that since it would give a decimal and not a whole number, I should use a different number - 3.25. But, I've learnt something new :P that you just round it down to a whole number.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by bakastudent
16.2/3.22=5.03... or 5
3.22/3.22=1

I've got a lot more questions to ask later on today, will you be able to help if I post them in like 2 hours :O?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got a lot more questions to ask later on today, will you be able to help if I post them in like 2 hours :O?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if i can, sure.

Quick Reply

Latest