The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ntanationa
Okay thanks! Good luck :smile:

No problem at all. Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by adynaton
That sounds so interesting! Which universities did you apply to? :smile:

How are you preparing, if you don't mind me asking?

I've also applied to UCL, KCL and Warwick. I don't have a fifth choice.
I've been practicing my close reading skills, reviewing literary genres and grammar for both languages. For the ELAT (English), looking at past papers online but it's really frustrating as some texts are missing due to copyright...I'm trying to build up confidence by working with the little I've got.
How about your other choices and the TSA ?
Original post by tamara98
I've also applied to UCL, KCL and Warwick. I don't have a fifth choice.
I've been practicing my close reading skills, reviewing literary genres and grammar for both languages. For the ELAT (English), looking at past papers online but it's really frustrating as some texts are missing due to copyright...I'm trying to build up confidence by working with the little I've got.
How about your other choices and the TSA ?

I've applied to St Andrews, Warwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Luckily, we've got a fair amount of practice tests to look at. However, it's the second part (essay part) of the TSA that worries me the most as I have no way whatsoever to understand if I'm good enough.
Original post by adynaton
I've applied to St Andrews, Warwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Luckily, we've got a fair amount of practice tests to look at. However, it's the second part (essay part) of the TSA that worries me the most as I have no way whatsoever to understand if I'm good enough.

I have also applied for those 3 scotish unis, for Biochemistry though
haha
Original post by chloetraynor
Anybody else for Law at Brasenose? I need some kind of reassurance that my below-par grades may not be instant-rejection material :s

How below par? I got offered for law (not Brasenose) with a U in an AS module
Original post by anonlad
How below par? I got offered for law (not Brasenose) with a U in an AS module

Wow congrats! Do you mind me asking what you got at GCSE and AS level?
And by below-par I mean: 4A*, 6A and 2B at GCSE, and AABB at AS (predicted A*AA) :-(
Original post by OxSarah
Christ Church :smile: what about you?

Brasenose
I'm really nervous about the bmat tho
Anyone applying to Harris Manchester? :smile:
Original post by Pythian
Anyone applying to Harris Manchester? :smile:

HM is beautiful, I walk past it on my way to tutorials <3
Original post by colourtheory
HM is beautiful, I walk past it on my way to tutorials <3

Oh. What do you study?

Oh God. I received an email from their admissions lady acknowledging my application. Lovely place. So excited :biggrin:.
Does any one have any ideas when exactly we will know whether we are shortlisted for interview or rejected straightaway?

Course: Geography
IB Predicted: 40 with 776 in HL

Hope to get some idea before being rejected straightaway =.=
Original post by Caffe_sean1
Does any one have any ideas when exactly we will know whether we are shortlisted for interview or rejected straightaway?

Generally, they send out invitations from late November to early December. The exact dates vary from college to college and course to course. I think invitations went out from the 20th last year!
Original post by ilovecake123
Brasenose
I'm really nervous about the bmat tho

Me too.. :s-smilie: which section in particular?
Original post by Caffe_sean1

Yup, as you have alredy been told, they will tell us in the last weeks of november. You can search online the dates for your course's interview, and you'll know that they will notify you at least 1 week in advance.
Original post by OxSarah
Me too.. :s-smilie: which section in particular?

Lol everything, essay not so much! Everything else, the timing is just the worse. This week is some hardcore revision. Wbu?
Original post by ilovecake123
Lol everything, essay not so much! Everything else, the timing is just the worse. This week is some hardcore revision. Wbu?

I took 10 days off school,starting from today :biggrin: My plans are to revise scientific subjects from 8 am to 1 pm and do practice questions from 3 pm to 7/8 pm (it depends on how tired I am :biggrin: )
Original post by Ivoryfall
Hey guys! I don't suppose there's any lovely staff/students about to offer some advice? :smile: Possibly @The_Lonely_Goatherd or @BrasenoseAdm ?

I am aware this is possibly specific to Hertford, but I received my request for written work today, and it asks that, '' Each piece of written work should be accompanied by a covering sheet, which can be downloaded here. Please supply your written work in digital format, by email, as one pdf document. Please do not submit multiple pdfs for each piece of work. ''

Does this mean it wants me to condense 2 top sheets and 2 articles of writing into ONE pdf file, altogether? As a single document? I want to be clear because I initially thought it was submitting 2 pdf topsheets and the 2 documents as word files, and this is seeming to not be the case although I'm not 100% sure how this is best laid out?

Sorry for the possibly stupid question! Advise is VERY appreciated :smile: x

We've just read your query .Brasenose asks that each piece of work is one pdf, so that a candidate needing to submit three pieces should submit three pdfs (each would include the cover sheet).We called Hertford: they want just one pdf for each candidate, so a candidate needing to submit three pieces would need to submit all three plus cover sheets as one pdf file.
Original post by chloetraynor
Wow congrats! Do you mind me asking what you got at GCSE and AS level?
And by below-par I mean: 4A*, 6A and 2B at GCSE, and AABB at AS (predicted A*AA) :-(

That's fine! I've seen people get offers with lower grades than that, but I think the school you went to is quite important (for contextualising the grades). Deffo worth applying though, and you stand every chance if your LNAT and interview performance are strong as they really are the most important factors.
I got 10A* at GCSE and AAAC at AS
Original post by SGrice
Any Somerville applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am!!! Went for Somerville though I've never visited myself. Applying for English...what abt you? :biggrin:
ARGHHH!! Answer your question? :tongue: I'm ever so slightly bricking it...sometimes I think it will go OK, other times I look at the questions and just...nope. This week I'm really going to knuckle down and really work on the HAT-along with all my other work...:s-smilie:

You applying for straight history or a joint honours?

Latest

Trending

Trending