The Student Room Group

The Proof is Trivial!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone for some analytic number theory? :biggrin:

Problem 525***

Let x>1x > 1 be a real number. Prove that that there exists a constant EE such that

nx1n=logx+E+O(x1)\displaystyle \sum_{n \leq x} \dfrac{1}{n} = \log x + E + O(x^{-1})
Original post by Indeterminate
x

Wot. I'll see if I can wrap my head around that later, looks fun! :biggrin:
Problem 526*

If ff is an increasing function then show that n1nf(x)dxf(n)nn+1f(x)dx\displaystyle \int_{n-1}^n f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x \leq f(n) \leq \int_{n}^{n+1} f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x.

Hence approximate lnn!\ln n! for large nn.
Problem 527**

Let MM be a large real number. Explain briefly why there must be exactly one root ww of the equation Mx=exMx = e^x with w>1w > 1. Why is logM\log M a reasonable approximation to ww?

By writing w=logM+yw = \log M + y find an approximation on yy and hence improve on logM\log M as an approximation to ww.
Solution 526

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 16Characters....
Solution 526

Very nice, I just realised that I forgot to prove that lnx\ln x was strictly increasing in my proof. This was a Pembroke interview question, if you're interested! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
Very nice, I just realised that I forgot to prove that lnx\ln x was strictly increasing in my proof. This was a Pembroke interview question, if you're interested! :smile:

Oh right, nice. I have not been able to find any interview questions for my college so I'll just stick to those Trinity ones for now. There is a similar STEP question to this one in the Advanced Problems in Mathematics booklet (Question 27) which finds estimates to factorials by comparing an exact integral to its Trapezium Rule approximation.
Oh right, nice. I have not been able to find any interview questions for my college so I'll just stick to those Trinity ones for now. There is a similar STEP question to this one in the Advanced Problems in Mathematics booklet (Question 27) which finds estimates to factorials by comparing an exact integral to its Trapezium Rule approximation.

St. John's, right? I haven't been able to find any for King's either, so I'm making do with what I find. (although with what I've seen with your mathematical ability, you don't need any prep!)

Yes, I think I recall that vaguely, although I encountered it in a past paper instead of the booklet!
Original post by Zacken
St. John's, right? I haven't been able to find any for King's either, so I'm making do with what I find. (although with what I've seen with your mathematical ability, you don't need any prep!)

Yes, I think I recall that vaguely, although I encountered it in a past paper instead of the booklet!

Yep St John's. And thank you, the same can certainly be said about you. That problem from the Trinity questions, the one you posted here as 527. I don't know where you'd even begin with that one.
Yep St John's. And thank you, the same can certainly be said about you. That problem from the Trinity questions, the one you posted here as 527. I don't know where you'd even begin with that one.

I gave it a go on the trinity solutions page, first post on page 2 - but couldn't get further than that.
Original post by Zacken
I gave it a go on the trinity solutions page, first post on page 2 - but couldn't get further than that.

Seen it. I'll leave it to DF to was his way through that one haha.
Solution to Problem 527:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Solution to Problem 527:

Very, very nice! :smile:

I urge you to just copy-paste this into this.
Problem 528:

Which is greater for large nn, f(n)=222n\displaystyle f(n) = 2^{2^{2^n}} or g(n)=100100ng(n) = 100^{100^n}, justify your answer.
Problem 529

Evaluate:

exsechx dx \displaystyle \int e^x sech x \ dx
exsechx dx \displaystyle \int e^{-x}sech x \ dx
Solution to 529:
Observe that:
exsech(x)=2exex+ex=2exe2x+1[br]exsech(x)=2exex+ex=2e2xe2x+1e^xsech(x)=\dfrac{2e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}=\dfrac{2e^x}{e^{2x}+1}[br]e^{-x}sech(x)=\dfrac{2e^x}{e^x+e^{-x}}=\dfrac{2e^{-2x}}{e^{-2x}+1}
exsech(x) dx=2e2xe2x+1 dx=ln(e2x+1)+C[br]exsech(x) dx=2e2xe2x+1 dx=Cln(e2x+1)[br]\Rightarrow \displaystyle\int e^xsech(x) \ dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{2e^{2x}}{e^{2x}+1} \ dx =\ln(e^{2x}+1)+\mathcal{C}[br]\displaystyle\int e^{-x}sech(x) \ dx = \displaystyle\int \dfrac{2e^{-2x}}{e^{-2x}+1} \ dx =\mathcal{C}-\ln(e^{-2x}+1)[br]
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3356
Solution to 528

Clearly log2100<log2256=8 log_{2}100 < log_{2}256 = 8 .
From this we can deduce
log2g(n)=100nlog2100<(8)100n log_{2}g(n) = 100^{n}log_{2}100 < (8)100^{n}

Taking the logarithm again
log2log2g(n)<log2((8)100n)=3+nlog2100<3+8n log_{2}log_{2}g(n) < log_{2}((8)100^{n}) = 3 + nlog_{2}100 < 3 + 8n

Now taking the logarithm of f(n) f(n) twice
log2log2f(n)=2n log_{2}log_{2}f(n) = 2^{n}

2n>3+8nn6 2^{n} > 3+ 8n \hspace{3mm} n \geq 6

So for n6 n \geq 6
f(n)>g(n) f(n) > g(n)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hauss
Solution to 528
x

I did this, except I used log10\log_{10} instead. You might want to add a quick note about lnx\ln x being a strictly increasing (continuous bijective) function so that your assertions ring true.
(edited 8 years ago)
Problem 530: */**
Let a,b,c,d>0a,b,c,d>0 be arbitrary constants.
Find all possible values of:
S=aa+b+d+ba+b+c+cb+c+d+da+c+dS=\dfrac{a}{a+b+d}+\dfrac{b}{a+b+c}+\dfrac{c}{b+c+d}+\dfrac{d}{a+c+d}
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joostan
Problem 530: */**
Let a,b,c,d>0a,b,c,d>0 be arbitrary constants.
Find all possible values of:
S=aa+b+d+ba+b+d+cb+c+d+da+c+dS=\dfrac{a}{a+b+d}+\dfrac{b}{a+b+d}+\dfrac{c}{b+c+d}+\dfrac{d}{a+c+d}

Is the denominator of b/etc correct?

Quick Reply

Latest