The Student Room Group

Need help with electron orbitals energies

Not really sure how to answer this...

Which orbital has the highest energy within Cobalt and which orbital has the lowest energy and explain.
Original post by Sid99
Not really sure how to answer this...

Which orbital has the highest energy within Cobalt and which orbital has the lowest energy and explain.

What would you think the answer is based on writing out the electron configuration of Co?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Draw out electrons in a box.
Reply 3
Original post by TeachChemistry
What would you think the answer is based on writing out the electron configuration of Co?

1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6,4s2, 3d7

I'm confused, is 3d the highest energy and 1s2 the lowest, I don't get why :s-smilie:
Original post by Sid99
1s2, 2s2, 2p6, 3s2, 3p6,4s2, 3d7

I'm confused, is 3d the highest energy and 1s2 the lowest, I don't get why :s-smilie:

Which electron is the easiest to remove? That electron has the highest energy.

Yes, 1s2 is the lowest.
Reply 5
Which electron is the easiest to remove? That electron has the highest energy.

Yes, 1s2 is the lowest.

Okay so the electron 3d7 would be the easiest to remove so that would mean it would have the highest energy...? So having a higher or lower energy is due to how easy it is to remove an electron or how hard due to shieding etc?
Original post by Sid99
Okay so the electron 3d7 would be the easiest to remove so that would mean it would have the highest energy...? So having a higher or lower energy is due to how easy it is to remove an electron or how hard due to shieding etc?

Have you learned which electrons are lost first when transition metals form ions?
As someone above says, have you done electrons in a box?
Reply 8
Have you learned which electrons are lost first when transition metals form ions?

ohhhhhh yhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its 4s because you fill the 4s first before 3d for cu and stuff?
Reply 9

no actually is it that you only put one electron in 4s, then fill 3d, then come back to 4s?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sid99
no actually is it that you only put one electron in 4s, then fill 3d, then come back to 4s?

If you really want to understand this then read the following.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/properties/3d4sproblem.html
Reply 11

kk thank you
Reply 12

After reading everything am I right in thinking that 4s is the orbital with the highest energy as its the last energy level to be filled and the furthest from the nucleus containing the valence electrons.
---------------------------
When talking about which orbital has the highest energy it hasn't got anything to do with shielding etc right? Just which energy level is filled first and how close it is to the nucleus?
Original post by Sid99
After reading everything am I right in thinking that 4s is the orbital with the highest energy as its the last energy level to be filled and the furthest from the nucleus containing the valence electrons.
---------------------------
When talking about which orbital has the highest energy it hasn't got anything to do with shielding etc right? Just which energy level is filled first and how close it is to the nucleus?

The 4s is indeed the highest energy in Co. You will not need to explain this in A level questions. You only have to talk about shielding etc when comparing IE across a period or down a group.
Reply 14
The 4s is indeed the highest energy in Co. You will not need to explain this in A level questions. You only have to talk about shielding etc when comparing IE across a period or down a group.

Okay.. thank you so much by the way you helped me out a lot dude

Quick Reply

Latest