The Student Room Group

Need help with a trig question

1446579311282-523149246.jpgCan anyone pls explain how to do this question. I tried to do it using the circle but it is not right and it would be great if u could also explain how to use the graph to solve this. I am stuck because I thinkat the end you divide all the solution by 2 then -15 right? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone???
Reply 2
Original post by coconut64
1446579311282-523149246.jpgCan anyone pls explain how to do this question. I tried to do it using the circle but it is not right and it would be great if u could also explain how to use the graph to solve this. I am stuck because I thinkat the end you divide all the solution by 2 then -15 right? Thanks

Your working looks correct so far. Just remember there will be a few results.
Isn't the range meant to be 15<=2x+15<=735
Reply 4
Original post by Albus Hagrid
Isn't the range meant to be 15<=2x+15<=735

My teacher told me to do that right at the end so you would get your solution, divide it by 2 then minus 15. But my answers are wrong...
Reply 5
Original post by Andy98
Your working looks correct so far. Just remember there will be a few results.

So the first solution I got is 64.63 and I divided it by 2 and -15 but when I sub it in it doesn't equal to 2....
Reply 6
My teacher told me to do that right at the end so you would get your solution, divide it by 2 then minus 15. But my answers are wrong...

tan(2x+15)=2\tan(2x+15)=2 for 0<x<3600<x<360

Let θ=2x+15\theta = 2x+15

Solve for θ\theta

What do you get for those stages?
Reply 7
Original post by Andy98
tan(2x+15)=2\tan(2x+15)=2 for 0<x<3600<x<360

Let θ=2x+15\theta = 2x+15

Solve for θ\theta

What do you get for those stages?

Thanks so much! I got it now, so does 2x+15 or whatever inside the bracket represent theta?
Reply 8
Thanks so much! I got it now, so does 2x+15 or whatever inside the bracket represent theta?

Yes.
Reply 9
Original post by Andy98
Yes.

Thanks. I appreciate the help
Reply 10
Thanks. I appreciate the help

No problem :hat2:
Reply 11
Original post by Andy98
No problem :hat2:

Hi again, if you have yo solve sin^2x=1, do you factorise it or square root it? Thanks
Hey. I got 4 solutions? 294.1, 204.2, 114.2 and 24.2. I may be wrong, I haven't done this since my exams lool
I believe this is CAST and there is a waaay easier method, my teacher always is like "any teacher who teaches cast is ****" LOL but it's called General Solutions; if you want I can teach you it.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's actually no need to use CAST diagrams; I never did. There's a much, much quicker way.
Hi again, if you have yo solve sin^2x=1, do you factorise it or square root it? Thanks

Well you should see quite easily that sinx = ±1.
Reply 15
Original post by PrimeLime
There's actually no need to use CAST diagrams; I never did. There's a much, much quicker way.

Nor did I - never really grasped how they worked tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Nor did I - never really grasped how they worked tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you just do what I do: 180-solution for sine, 360-solution for cos etc.?
Reply 17
Original post by PrimeLime
Did you just do what I do: 180-solution for sine, 360-solution for cos etc.?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Michaelj99
Hey. I got 4 solutions? 294.1, 204.2, 114.2 and 24.2. I may be wrong, I haven't done this since my exams lool
I believe this is CAST and there is a waaay easier method, my teacher always is like "any teacher who teaches cast is ****" LOL but it's called General Solutions; if you want I can teach you it.

Yes please if you could.
Yes please if you could.

I don't know whether you should learn this method. It'll likely make you forget how trig equations work.

Quick Reply

Latest