The Student Room Group

Jeremy Corbyn rakes in £££ from torturers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by KimKallstrom
I didn't actually know he took money from Press TV of all people. Makes me have even less respect than I did before for him. Which was already practically none but still.

Completely agree. I thought he was utterly misguided but principled in his own way. This demonstrates that he is not even that. He will apparently accept money from criminals who murder people simply for their sexuality, who keep women as second-class citizens, who torture to keep their vice-like grip on power.

I think what sinks him is accepting the money from the Al-Thanis. The Al-Thanis are basically just like a mini-Saudi. They are Islamic extremists who also buy American weapons and host American troops in their country, while at the same time providing funding to groups like Hamas and al-Nusra. That means that basically every criticism Corbyn has made about the Saudis is tainted by utter hypocrisy.

It's also interesting that he does seem to spend a lot of time scrabbling around for cash; he does loads of surveys for £75 (how on earth do you get in on that racket? I'm a poor student and could really do with some money like that), as well as regularly earning £150 speaking fees for an hour's work for Capita. Apparently accepting his £60,000 salary and spending his time working for his constituents is not enough.
Original post by woIfie
Completely agree. I thought he was utterly misguided but principled in his own way. This demonstrates that he is not even that. He will apparently accept money from criminals who murder people simply for their sexuality, who keep women as second-class citizens, who torture to keep their vice-like grip on power.

I think what sinks him is accepting the money from the Al-Thanis. The Al-Thanis are basically just like a mini-Saudi. They are Islamic extremists who also buy American weapons and host American troops in their country, while at the same time providing funding to groups like Hamas and al-Nusra. That means that basically every criticism Corbyn has made about the Saudis is tainted by utter hypocrisy.

It's also interesting that he does seem to spend a lot of time scrabbling around for cash; he does loads of surveys for £75 (how on earth do you get in on that racket? I'm a poor student and could really do with some money like that), as well as regularly earning £150 speaking fees for an hour's work for Capita. Apparently accepting his £60,000 salary and spending his time working for his constituents is not enough.

He claims some of the lowest fees for expenses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by That Bearded Man
He claims some of the lowest fees for expenses

How does a low expense claim rate make accepting money from murderous, criminal regimes acceptable? Genuine question. It seems somewhat beside the point.

If you are referring to the speaking fees, then I'd point out that expenses claims are not additional income, they are for legitimate expenses. If he has expenses then he can claim them. When he fills out these surveys and takes money from Capita, he's not doing that to pay his expenses. He's doing it to earn extra income which he can spend on whatever he likes.

Personally, I would have thought that if he has all this spare time he should be spending it on constituency business. It was pointed out that prior to becoming leader, his constituency website mentioned Israel 141 times and Islington only 120. I think that does give you a sense of his priorities
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by woIfie
How does a low expense claim rate make accepting money from murderous, criminal regimes acceptable? Genuine question. It seems somewhat beside the point.

If you are referring to the speaking fees, then I'd point out that expenses claims are not additional income, they are for legitimate expenses. If he has expenses then he can claim them. When he fills out these surveys and takes money from Capita, he's not doing that to pay his expenses. He's doing it to earn extra income which he can spend on whatever he likes.

Personally, I would have thought that if he has all this spare time he should be spending it on constituency business. It was pointed out that prior to becoming leader, his constituency website mentioned Israel 141 times and Islington only 120. I think that does give you a sense of his priorities

You are pointing out that Corbyn is (to my knowledge) a supporter of Palestine. Thus, unlike the Western media, I am delighted that he references Israel.

Expenses are nonsensical, other MPs claim for moats, limos and paper clips, yet his are modest, his low claim show he isn't motivated by greed or self-interest. Perhaps he does media work for Al Jazeera, again, not something I am too concerned about either, as Fox heavily invest in other politicians.

My point is that of all politicians to criticise for doing extra work, he's not the best example, several other MPs have worse ties, and I'm sure he'll be cutting that down now he's leader.

Ethically if you don't like who he associates with, that's your opinion, but why no outrage at MPs who are also landlords or on boards for Energy or medical firms?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
You are pointing out that Corbyn is (to my knowledge) a supporter of Palestine.

I was pointing out that he is a recipient of tens of thousands of pounds from the Iranian government and the royal house of Qatar. Nothing to do with Palestine and nothing to do with Israel. Being an opponent of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank (which I am) does not necessitate taking tens of thousands of pounds from a murderous, homophobic crime family like the Al-Thani.

But I suppose the Corbynite left has repeatedly demonstrated it is willing to throw gay people under the bus when it comes to considerations of "anti-imperialism". Perhaps I see it differently because it is jarring to know that the leader of my party takes money from regimes that would kill me simply because I fancy other guys.

Perhaps he does media work for Al Jazeera, again, not something I am too concerned about either, as Fox heavily invest in other politicians.

Fox? We don't even have Fox in the UK. And in any case, that's a painfully weak argument as I abhor Fox News. Taking the position that it's okay for Corbyn to take money from corrupt propaganda networks because other people do it too hardly bespeaks the great moral purity for which Corbyn is constantly telling us he stands. He's basically the same as any other grubby politician

Ethically if you don't like who he associates with, that's your opinion, but why no outrage at MPs who are also landlords or on boards for Energy or medical firms?

That is a logical fallacy. I criticise many things. You don't know what I do or don't criticise. This thread is about Corbyn, and as per usual it's impossible to have a conversation about anything he does without his supporters saying "Whatabout this? Whatabout that?"

Corbyn claims to be no less than a moral exemplar. His supporters tell us he is something akin to a new John the Baptist. What this shows is that he is willing to accept grubby cash payments in exchange for legitimising the propaganda arms of two of the worst regimes in the world.
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
MIA :coma:

Its great when the Arabs come over to London with their supercars every Ramadan. :cool:

You can't blame them

They have oil money stacked to the roof and the cost of petrol down to the floor, it's no wonder they are all motorheads.

Spoiler

Original post by woIfie
I was pointing out that he is a recipient of tens of thousands of pounds from the Iranian government and the royal house of Qatar. Nothing to do with Palestine and nothing to do with Israel. Being an opponent of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank (which I am) does not necessitate taking tens of thousands of pounds from a murderous, homophobic crime family like the Al-Thani.

But I suppose the Corbynite left has repeatedly demonstrated it is willing to throw gay people under the bus when it comes to considerations of "anti-imperialism". Perhaps I see it differently because it is jarring to know that the leader of my party takes money from regimes that would kill me simply because I fancy other guys.

Fox? We don't even have Fox in the UK. And in any case, that's a painfully weak argument as I abhor Fox News. Taking the position that it's okay for Corbyn to take money from corrupt propaganda networks because other people do it too hardly bespeaks the great moral purity for which Corbyn is constantly telling us he stands. He's basically the same as any other grubby politician

That is a logical fallacy. I criticise many things. You don't know what I do or don't criticise. This thread is about Corbyn, and as per usual it's impossible to have a conversation about anything he does without his supporters saying "Whatabout this? Whatabout that?"

Corbyn claims to be no less than a moral exemplar. His supporters tell us he is something akin to a new John the Baptist. What this shows is that he is willing to accept grubby cash payments in exchange for legitimising the propaganda arms of two of the worst regimes in the world.

Okay I see your argument, I'm a little disappointed if true as well about these payments but as I say, in a scale of relativity it isn't the worst. If you expect him to be John the Baptist, then I guess that would be disappointing.

Iran and Qatar? Iran has been recognised by the United States and Qatar is hosting a WC, like it or not they have influence and I'm sure a number of people will have similar business dealing.

I really don't accept that as a Corbynite I throw gay people under the bus, nor does I think Corbyns association with them imply that he is some kind of homophobe. In the same way that the UK recently signed a trade deal with Saudi Arabia, surely by that logic the UK govt is also doing this.

I think Palestine plays a greater role than you think, I appreciate Al Jazeera's alternative coverage of the events of Israel because it allows a fairer comparison than just watching Western news.

So in a nutshell, understandably you are annoyed by this link, but what has he done for them? Surely you should judge him by what he does rather than assume. I fully back Corbyn, but I really don't appreciate the implication that we don't care,
Reply 27
Okay I see your argument, I'm a little disappointed if true as well about these payments but as I say, in a scale of relativity it isn't the worst

If "he isn't the worst" is the best you can say about Corbyn, it's hardly inspiring is it?

Iran and Qatar? Iran has been recognised by the United States and Qatar is hosting a WC, like it or not they have influence and I'm sure a number of people will have similar business dealing.

You could pretty much say the same thing about Saudi Arabia. Would you be okay with Corbyn accepting cash from the Saudi government? And if not, how is that different to taking cash from the al-Thani crime family?

I really don't accept that as a Corbynite I throw gay people under the bus, nor does I think Corbyns association with them imply that he is some kind of homophobe.

If someone is close friends with a senior member of the KKK, that is certainly their right. But they shouldn't then pretend they are a friend of the black community.

Equally, Corbyn accepts money from murderous homophobes. He called Ibrahim Hewitt, who calls homosexuality a "depraved abomination" and calls for gay people to be stoned, a "dear friend". If you are close friends with such a virulent homophobe then clearly you don't really care that much about gay rights.

In the same way that the UK recently signed a trade deal with Saudi Arabia, surely by that logic the UK govt is also doing this.

You are really suggesting that Corbyn doing something like this is defensible on the basis that the British government also does similar things (given he and his supporters are constantly going on about Saudi Arabia)? You do realise how hypocritical that is? Either it's wrong to do business with these people, or it's not. You can't criticise British firms for doing business with the Gulf States, and then turn around and take money from the Gulf States.

Personally, I criticise both. But that's because I'm not a hypocrite.

So in a nutshell, understandably you are annoyed by this link, but what has he done for them? Surely you should judge him by what he does

I am judging him by what he does. He legitimised the media arms of two of the world's worst regimes in exchange for money. He did that. Frankly, I think it's beyond revolting how Corbynites will defend this. Of course whenever you show the cult member evidence they will always find a way to rationalise it. Corbynites have absolutely no principles, from week to week they will simply agree with whatever the leader tells them to think. One week it's oppose austerity to the death, the next week it's McDonnell signing up to Osborne's austerity package. One week it's "I'm such a great friend of the gays", the next it's taking money from homophobic torturers and cosying up to theocratic fascists. I'm sick of it.
Original post by The Rad Prince
I like the bit where the Saudis don't want to nuke us

So that's it? It doesn't matter how awful a country is as long as they are our allies it's fine.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
So that's it? It doesn't matter how awful a country is as long as they are our allies it's fine.

If they were taking part in full blown ethnic cleansing I would care, but harsh punishments for some fat old ex-pat who thought he was clever for homebrewing alcohol, I have no sympathy at all. He knew the rules, he chose to go there, if you want to smuggle alcohol, don't go to a hardcore Muslim country and brag to your mates at how you're bootlegging, he's a ****ing idiot.

The Iranians actually cause us direct problems, they should focus on sugar waxes and belly dancing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The Rad Prince
If they were taking part in full blown ethnic cleansing I would care, but harsh punishments for some fat old ex-pat who thought he was clever for homebrewing alcohol, I have no sympathy at all. He knew the rules, he chose to go there, if you want to smuggle alcohol, don't go to a hardcore Muslim country and brag to your mates at how you're bootlegging, he's a ****ing idiot.

The Iranians actually cause us direct problems, they should focus on sugar waxes and belly dancing.

Or crucifying someone for writing a politics blog.

It's a terrible moral prism to look at a country through. If all you care about is whether a country is a threat to us (I'm pretty sure ISIS is a threat) then you can justify many awful regimes, as long as they aren't doing a holocaust I guess. I'm sure Chinese officials say the same about Korea. There are people who are not British in the world as well. What if it is us doing the oppressing?

Any criticism of Corbyn and his dodgy money are a a joke when the person doing the finger waving think like that.
Or crucifying someone for writing a politics blog.

It's a terrible moral prism to look at a country through. If all you care about is whether a country is a threat to us (I'm pretty sure ISIS is a threat) then you can justify many awful regimes, as long as they aren't doing a holocaust I guess. I'm sure Chinese officials say the same about Korea. There are people who are not British in the world as well. What if it is us doing the oppressing?

Any criticism of Corbyn and his dodgy money are a a joke when the person doing the finger waving think like that.

If Corbyn wants to be a Western leader, he should support countries which help the West financially rather than wanting to wipe them off the map. I don't like ISIS at all, but strategically they're not a direct threat compared with Iran, Assad and the Shia axis.

I like how the Chinese think tbh, that's why they will be rich and Europe will be poor.
(edited 8 years ago)
He's taking away money from them so they will run out of it.
Reply 33

You seem to be confused. I'm the OP, the person you are responding to is not. His opinions have no actual bearing on the morality of Corbyn accepting money from murderous homophobes like the royal house of Qatar, which also torture people just like the Saudis do.

Any defence of Corbyn for accepting money from the Qataris is a joke when the person doing it also criticises the Saudis.
Original post by woIfie
A friend sent me this link to Jeremy Corbyn's register of interests on the TheyWorkForYou website. What caught my eye was that Corbyn has repeatedly accepted £5,000 payments from the Iranian propaganda arm Press TV and £5,000 payments from Al Jazeera, which is owned by the Al Thani dynasty, which is the ruling house of Qatar. I added it up and it looks like Jeremy Corbyn received £40,000 from the Iranian government and Qatari royal family from 2009 to 2012.

Thoughts?

The point here is that he isn't actually taking money from the Iranian Government or the Qatari royal family. He is being paid by organizations owned by these two groups. This isn't surprising.
Reply 35
Original post by Farm_Ecology
The point here is that he isn't actually taking money from the Iranian Government or the Qatari royal family. He is being paid by organizations owned by these two groups

PressTV and Al Jazeera's funds come from the Iranian government and the Qatari royal family respectively. Therefore Jeremy Corbyn is accepting money from the Iranian government and the Qatari royal family, in exchange for legitmising the propaganda arms of two of the world's worst regimes.

PressTV broadcasts confessions extracted by torture for goodness sake. Where are this man's vaunted principles?
Reply 36
Original post by Little Toy Gun
He's taking away money from them so they will run out of it.

He's taking money from them so he won't run out of money ;-)

You're saying this like Corbyn isn't taking money from the Qataris
Original post by woIfie
He's taking money from them so he won't run out of money ;-)

That's a side effect.
Reply 39

Corbyn is taking money from the Qataris.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending