The Student Room Group

Help needed in M1 pulley

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1447324863.139366.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1447324884.094460.jpg
Hi guys

Can anyone help me with Q12 part C?
How to I calculate the magnitude of the tension exerted by the string? Do I look at the components of the weight of each particle, or the tension between them?

I am so confusing with the direction of the force as well.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 123321123
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1447324863.139366.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1447324884.094460.jpg
Hi guys

How to I calculate the magnitude of the tension exerted by the string? Do I look at the components of the weight of each particle, or the tension between them?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

For part c, you're only interested in the pulley. The forces acting on the pulley are the two tensions, and the reaction to them.

You just want the two tensions which act along the lines of the string, at 30 degrees to the horizontal.

Tension acts away from the pulley.
on your diagram you need to put two tensions by the pulley ; they must point away from it.
Reply 3
Hi guys

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your work doesnt show properly but what I know is that the direction of force where the acceleration acts is subtracted to other forces opposing it to get a resultant force
Reply 4
Try to draw vectors in the forces acting on the two bodies .. I think that will help
Reply 5
Original post by the bear
on your diagram you need to put two tensions by the pulley ; they must point away from it.

Thanks, that 's really helpful. I get it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ghostwalker
For part c, you're only interested in the pulley. The forces acting on the pulley are the two tensions, and the reaction to them.

You just want the two tensions which act along the lines of the string, at 30 degrees to the horizontal.

Tension acts away from the pulley.

Thanks for your explanation, it helps me a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by shady2.0
Your work doesnt show properly but what I know is that the direction of force where the acceleration acts is subtracted to other forces opposing it to get a resultant force

Thanks , I understand now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks , I understand now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ohkay can u explain it to me?caz' I think I have not gotten it right
Reply 9
The question c) asks you calculate the resultant force exerted by the string on the pulley. Therefore you only look at the force acted on the pulley which are the two tensions. You can just calculate the resultant force of two tensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by shady2.0
ohkay can u explain it to me?caz' I think I have not gotten it right

Forget to quote, sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest