The Student Room Group

Should I go to university to study Economics even if I won't get into a top one?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmellyProtein
I doubt many people just turn up and get A grades..... Would have to be asian for that.

Asians are seen as having some sort of natural gift in western countries. I know how hard asian parents make their kids work.

Ever heard of nootropics? Noopept twice a day - no need to revise
My dad works there and can access test...... and change test scores.

Hmm it's about 60/100 for A+F but nethertheless the job prospects are the same as any other uni.

Yeah I agree with you, it's not a degree like law where it's essential to go to a top uni and I'll be applying to around mid table ones myself. What do you think about the degree then and how is it going so far? Is there any info you think I should know before committing? As I didn't do a level maths I am slightly worried
Original post by alexp98
Yeah I agree with you, it's not a degree like law where it's essential to go to a top uni and I'll be applying to around mid table ones myself. What do you think about the degree then and how is it going so far? Is there any info you think I should know before committing? As I didn't do a level maths I am slightly worried

Ohh yeahh i got your message earlier..... I didn't do A-level maths either. The maths is simple and as long as you can use a calculator then you're good to go. Most of it is just adding/subtracting, dividing and multiplying numbers. No difficult algebra aha.
Original post by AstarAstarA
Asians are seen as having some sort of natural gift in western countries. I know how hard asian parents make their kids work.

Did abit of research of them a while back after watching some film that had them something like them in.
Yeh you basically can retain and recall memories without any real effort. I just did that and got 7A*s 3As whilst bunning and not revising. If you can afford nootropics daily, then you'll be at such an advantage in the world of work. Oxford students are all doing nootropics. They have to in order to compete with others who are doing it. It's unfair on some but I don't think they should test it for exams like they do with athlete doping drugs

Very interesting. Would be interesting to find out how many students actually use them.
Very interesting. Would be interesting to find out how many students actually use them.

None.
Odd how both you and the person you quote AstarAstar have joined in the last 24hours, each made about 25 posts including one where you say you study elsewhere having cheated to get in and finish up by recommending a wonder drug that stretches credibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
None.
Odd how both you and the person you quote AstarAstar have joined in the last 24hours, each made about 25 posts including one where you say you study elsewhere having cheated to get in and finish up by recommending a wonder drug that stretches credibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Joined the site or this thread?? I joined TSR on the 8/11/15......

Who cheated to get in ??

I didn't recommend it.
Better to do a good degree at a lower ranked uni than a rubbish degree at a higher ranked one.

Not really, the MPhys Physics starting salary at Northumbria is £15,000.
Original post by TunaTunnel
Not really, the MPhys Physics starting salary at Northumbria is £15,000.

And?
And?

And you're wrong.
And you're wrong.

In your opinion......

Accounting and finance degree from LJMU - HMRC TAX scheme starting about £30,000 then £50,000 ish after few years.

Drama - Manchester - Job at tesco......
In your opinion......

Accounting and finance degree from LJMU - HMRC TAX scheme starting about £30,000 then £50,000 ish after few years.

Drama - Manchester - Job at tesco......

The course has a mediocre £16,000 starting salary at LJMU. I doubt HMRC really discriminates against university. Though if someone went to a top university and got a good london scheme (which would require a top uni) you'd be starting not far from £50,000, I've got a friends who are starting on £40-45k for law.
The course has a mediocre £16,000 starting salary at LJMU. I doubt HMRC really discriminates against university. Though if someone went to a top university and got a good london scheme (which would require a top uni) you'd be starting not far from £50,000, I've got a friends who are starting on £40-45k for law.

I have said before in other threads Law is one of the subjects were you need to attend a top Uni.

For my course however, pretty much anyone with a 1 or 2:1 can get into the top 5 no matter what Uni they went too.
YES!

If you LOVE economics and really want to do it, then go to the best Uni you can.

Then get a Masters at the best Uni you can

Then do a PhD at the best Uni you can.

You'd be surprised how far people can climb up the ladder. Seriously, if you are motivated, a hard worker and willing to do something extra-curricular that you can excel at, you can go a long way. Post 1992 to Oxbridge is possible. I've seen it happen successfully. Keep your eyes on the prize.

And talking of prizes: you'll find a whole host of economics - and general training - prizes out there. My advice, enter at least one competition a year. I did in the last year and (with a rather middling essay) was shortlisted for 'Times Young Professional of the Year' it's effect on my CV was out of all proportion to its actual value.

If you really want to do economics this is the way. Once you get to Uni, put your back into it and start researching grants for Post-Grads form day one.

What do they actually do and if they're so good wouldn't everyone use them?
My dad works there and can access test...... and change test scores.

Your answer to Original post by alexp98
Why did you choose to go there?
Original post by Colmans
Your answer to Original post by alexp98
Why did you choose to go there?

I didn't cheat to get in and who says iv cheated yet? I simply implied i had to resources to cheat.
Read this

Good Universities and Bad Economics ~ Economist Steve Keen

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2015/08/13/good-universities-and-bad-economics/
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't cheat to get in and who says iv cheated yet? I simply implied i had to resources to cheat.

You also stated that having the resources to cheat (which story I doubt) was the reason you chose the university you went to.
Although oddly you could have taken the wonder drug which enables you to remember everything without revising.
Original post by Colmans
You also stated that having the resources to cheat (which story I doubt) was the reason you chose the university you went to.
Although oddly you could have taken the wonder drug which enables you to remember everything without revising.

So really your original point saying I cheated was invalid. Good day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending