The Student Room Group

Options for Computer Science: A-level Physics or Economics?

I want to study Computer Science at university and am choosing my a-level options. I have already chosen to do maths, further maths and computer science, although I'm torn between economics and physics as a fourth option.I should be honest and state that I was not a fan of physics at all at GCSE level. I just found it quite a weird subject, rather dull and incredibly confusing in parts (electromagnetism, waves and electricity amongst others). I'm a bit worried about how well I'll be able to cope with the a-level content. I'm probably going to get a grade 8 or possibly a 9 for it, though I did switch from combined to triple science halfway through year 11 and had to teach myself most of the physics only content. My teacher wasn't exactly great either. Some people say it gets more interesting at A-level - but does it really, or is that just what the hardcore physics fans think?I prefer the sound of economics and could imagine myself enjoying the subject, although I haven't studied it before. I am a bit worried it might just involve remembering a lot of slightly boring information and theories, which I think would frustrate me and especially if they're essentially just dressed-up common sense. I also think it's seen as a slightly softer option, though studying it I would probably find it a lot easier to get an A/A* than Physics. I would also be willing to consider it as a backup degree option.I don't want to seem arrogant but I am looking at Russell Group / Oxbridge courses ideally depending on how my a-levels go, and I'm predicted mostly 8s and 9s at GCSE. Although Physics isn't directly specified anywhere as an entry requirement for CS, it does seem like the top universities almost expect you to do it a a given, and I feel like pretty much everyone other applicant looking to study CS will be. Essentially, I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage by not choosing it.It would be great to hear any opinions/stories/advice. Thank you!
Reply 1
If you didn't like physics at GCSE, and aren't planning on doing a physics degree/engineering degree then don't take it at A-level. It doesn't really get more interesting imo, rather it becomes more tedious and nitpicky.

No CS degree requires physics, and they certainly don't expect you to take it like you've mentioned. It's more a case of most applicants taking it as it's a popular combination. The only relevant subjects for CS at uni is maths+further maths. Choosing between econ and physics here won't change anything, so pick the one you think you'll enjoy more.
Reply 2
Original post by Skiwi
If you didn't like physics at GCSE, and aren't planning on doing a physics degree/engineering degree then don't take it at A-level. It doesn't really get more interesting imo, rather it becomes more tedious and nitpicky.

No CS degree requires physics, and they certainly don't expect you to take it like you've mentioned. It's more a case of most applicants taking it as it's a popular combination. The only relevant subjects for CS at uni is maths+further maths. Choosing between econ and physics here won't change anything, so pick the one you think you'll enjoy more.

Thanks for your advice, that's interesting to hear - I wasn't entirely expecting to hear that about physics.
Reply 3
I agree with the other commenter. Do what you like and play into your strengths. If that's the subject you prefer, do it. So many people don't do well because they settled for subjects they didn't like, and it made the entire A Levels experience miserable for them. Go for Economics.

I'll also add that beyond a certain point, your subject combination does not have much sway. You already have the recommended double maths combination on your list as well as Computer Science. That's enough. If anything, I think it'll make your application stand out in a good way. Economics is not an easy subject and it'll be interesting to have a candidate who didn't go for the expected combo. You're showing that you go for what you're passionate about and you aren't just trying to do the norm to please the admissions team.
Reply 4
I just saw the part where you said you haven't studied Economics before. Not sure how my mind skipped that but that changes my perspective a little. I think you should take out some spare time and watch one or two videos of people teaching the content. Also, try to find other resources that show what type of content you'll be learning. If it still seems like something you'll like, you can go for it.

I honestly wouldn't recommend making such a leap if you haven't done Economics before. I know some people can do it but it's more challenging to go from zero knowledge to A Level knowledge as opposed to the gap from GCSE knowledge to A Level knowledge. However, it can be done and has been done.
Hi, as someone who applied for maths and cs at very selective universities this year, I heavily researched into what unis are really looking for and I can confidently say none of them will advantage you for having physics (or even computer science), so that is a myth. Most Russell groups require a level maths, and if you're applying to any of Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford you should have a level further maths as well. The third subject can be anything, just make sure it's something you enjoy and can get a good grade in (applicants with four subjects aren't given any advantage over those who have three, by the way, but if you must take a fourth, make sure it's one you enjoy and are good at).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by DarylO
I just saw the part where you said you haven't studied Economics before. Not sure how my mind skipped that but that changes my perspective a little. I think you should take out some spare time and watch one or two videos of people teaching the content. Also, try to find other resources that show what type of content you'll be learning. If it still seems like something you'll like, you can go for it.

I honestly wouldn't recommend making such a leap if you haven't done Economics before. I know some people can do it but it's more challenging to go from zero knowledge to A Level knowledge as opposed to the gap from GCSE knowledge to A Level knowledge. However, it can be done and has been done.

Thanks for your reply, I don't get the impression that economics GCSE is that common (my school didn't offer it anyway) so I know the sixth form teach assuming no prior knowledge. I definitely agree with your point though, I'm going to take a good look at some videos and textbooks before I make my decision.
Reply 7
Original post by Labradoodle1
Hi, as someone who applied for maths and cs at very selective universities this year, I heavily researched into what unis are really looking for and I can confidently say none of them will advantage you for having physics (or even computer science), so that is a myth. Most Russell groups require a level maths, and if you're applying to any of Imperial, Cambridge and Oxford you should have a level further maths as well. The third subject can be anything, just make sure it's something you enjoy and can get a good grade in (applicants with four subjects aren't given any advantage over those who have three, by the way, but if you must take a fourth, make sure it's one you enjoy and are good at).

That's interesting to hear - I think I had assumed it would be an advantage because so many applicants seem to take it (85% of successful candidates at Cambridge I read, however that would be a very aspirational university for me). I suppose it's a case where correlation isn't necessarily causation, people studying maths and CS just tend to also like physics. Thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by wakeinator
Thanks for your reply, I don't get the impression that economics GCSE is that common (my school didn't offer it anyway) so I know the sixth form teach assuming no prior knowledge. I definitely agree with your point though, I'm going to take a good look at some videos and textbooks before I make my decision.

You're welcome :smile:. I wish you the best on the uni admissions journey. You're on the right track. Don't forget to take breaks and rest when you need to!
Reply 9
Original post by DarylO
You're welcome :smile:. I wish you the best on the uni admissions journey. You're on the right track. Don't forget to take breaks and rest when you need to!

Thanks again and good luck to you as well!
That's interesting to hear - I think I had assumed it would be an advantage because so many applicants seem to take it (85% of successful candidates at Cambridge I read, however that would be a very aspirational university for me). I suppose it's a case where correlation isn't necessarily causation, people studying maths and CS just tend to also like physics. Thank you.

Yeah don't worry about it, it's definitely a correlation thing :smile:

Yeah economics GCSE definitely isn't a common one and many people doing economics A-level won't have done it so don't let not having the GCSE stop you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Labradoodle1
Yeah economics GCSE definitely isn't a common one and many people doing economics A-level won't have done it so don't let not having the GCSE stop you :smile:

Yeah, I'm not really that concerned about having not done the GCSE (I honestly only just found out it was a thing). Even if everyone else had, catching up would probably still be easier than trying to understand physics for me :s-smilie:

I think I'd just convinced myself that physics was a prerequisite for CS, or that there was some unwritten rule you needed to do a science a level, or else there's no way you're be accepted into any of the top universities for CS, so this has been really interesting to hear, thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest