The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know it's random but what are people going to wear? I'm getting mixed reactions... Is it smart, smart casual, jeans - what? I'm a girl btw if anyone has any tips 😂
I loathe suits
Original post by Drinky97
I know it's random but what are people going to wear? I'm getting mixed reactions... Is it smart, smart casual, jeans - what? I'm a girl btw if anyone has any tips 😂

Honestly wear something comfortable, obviously don't go in your gym clothing but as everyone says the tutors aren't dressing up for you, you don't need to dress up for them! If you would feel most comfortable and confident in a suit wear one but I think smart casual/casual is the tone to be honest :smile:
Original post by James_mc
Honestly wear something comfortable, obviously don't go in your gym clothing but as everyone says the tutors aren't dressing up for you, you don't need to dress up for them! If you would feel most comfortable and confident in a suit wear one but I think smart casual/casual is the tone to be honest :smile:

Yeah I'm thinking smart dresses and skirts (with my heels because I always feel more condident in them!) ya know not over the top but smart
It says on the Trinity website that short listing decisions have been sent for my course, Economics and Management. However, I have yet to receive anything from Trinity. Does this mean that I have been rejected?
Original post by HPFoley
It appears that some colleges have not yet sent all their invitations. I, for one, have not seen one mention of anyone who applied to study the subject for which I applied to study at the college to which I applied to study that subject receiving his or her invitation, so I assume that that college has not yet sent all its invitations.

Out of curiosity: From where are you applying? I, too, am a non-U.K. applicant. I am from a town in the United States of America a short distance from New York City.

I'm applying from Spain, but I'm Greek, and I actually used to live outside NYC, in Somers! Do you live anywhere nearby? I've applied for PPE at Trinity, where have you applied? Best of luck on your application!
Original post by sophiebiggs
Does Keble college send out any emails or do all interview invites/rejections come by post? And does the same apply for students living abroad? I can't find anything about it on the site!

They do send out both emails and letters by post
Reply 8087
Original post by TaliaG
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is on my personal statement! It's a great book. I've read a few Russian texts in translation, and I just love the literature. Portuguese sounds cool! I studied Spanish and it seems quite similar on paper (although maybe not when spoken)

Master and Margarita!! That's another good one, but it's really long :smile:
Yeah it does! The vocab is similar to Spanish but it sounds more nasal - a lot like French... so I think it's the perfect combination!
Original post by patricio_miguel
Stop with this "they look at your GCSE's"; they do but as a means of showing your overall performance/improvement. I spoke to one girl that studies at Oxford and she happened to get few D's and C's at GCSE level. If you happen to get A's at post secondary level - it is clearly a sign of improvement so your GCSE's become irrelevant. Your GCSE's are only likely to be used in cases whereby you have not done your AS, in such circumstances those will be correlated with your admission test performance and your predicted grades. Now, after giving youse this lecture, please refrain yourself from eliciting any "GCSE's are important" bs 😆😇

Surely they do look at GCSE's in detail in order to judge who gets an interview? I did really well at GCSE and messed up a bit in my AS's and I (somehow) got an interview, so they must have looked at my GCSE's and predictions! Therefore GCSE results must be important, right?
Original post by Kattkin
Surely they do look at GCSE's in detail in order to judge who gets an interview? I did really well at GCSE and messed up a bit in my AS's and I (somehow) got an interview, so they must have looked at my GCSE's and predictions! Therefore GCSE results must be important, right?

I think everything on the application is important, however performing weaker in one thing (such as GCSEs or AS levels) can be made up for with a stronger performance in everything else. So although they look at everything, one aspect alone will not always be the deciding factor
Reply 8090
Have there been any IB applicants that have been successful thus far? :smile: If so what are your predicted results?
Original post by Lsdjrl
I think everything on the application is important, however performing weaker in one thing (such as GCSEs or AS levels) can be made up for with a stronger performance in everything else. So although they look at everything, one aspect alone will not always be the deciding factor

Ah, that's a neat-o way of doing it!
Any Magdalen physics applicants heard yet? Reading through the acknowledgement mail from October, it states that "you should receive more detailed information from the college by the end of October" but Magdalen never sent anything :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 2584368644
Any Magdalen physics applicants heard yet? Reading through the acknowledgement mail from October, it states that "you should receive more detailed information from the college by the end of October" but Magdalen never sent anything :frown:

Feel free to call them, although I would suggest you do tomorrow morning as the admissions office is closed over the weekend. Magdalen is one of the best colleges and therefore probably has a high demand, but go ahead and phone them just to ask, there's no harm in doing so.
Original post by superdarklord
I definitely thought the TSA went so badly so I was ridiculously surprised!! So scared aha. I think I'm going to read over whatever books I mentioned in my personal statement and just brush up on economic theory I guess..tbh I actually have no idea. What are you planning? oh and what are you wearing!

Yeah I was planning on brushing over books in my PS just to know the main ideas brought up in them. Then maybe ask my teachers if they've got any advice. Other than that not really sure. I wear a suit at my school as part of uniform so I'll probably wear a suit for my interview aha.
I'm a magdalen physics applicant who hasn't heard anything either
Original post by vossari
Feel free to call them, although I would suggest you do tomorrow morning as the admissions office is closed over the weekend. Magdalen is one of the best colleges and therefore probably has a high demand, but go ahead and phone them just to ask, there's no harm in doing so.

Alright cheers!
I think I'll wait until the end of the day, i have a feeling the interviews will be coming out tomorrow anyway
Original post by Jakester11
I'm a magdalen physics applicant who hasn't heard anything either

That's a relief ^_^
From here only two physicists have got decisions and that's both from hertford ; looks like other colleges haven't sent yet
Original post by sr111
meeeeeee! really bad lol (4.7, 3.8, 2.5A)

I'm applying for BioMed too. My BMAT scores were a little bit better except s1 where I was close. What college?
Original post by mazzaion
Am I the only one arriving on the morning of my first day of interviews? I couldn't find a decent flight the night before and now I'm scared there will be an issue... :frown:

I'm going on the first morning of my interview and now I'm worrying too :/ But I only live half and hour away so I don't think I can ask for accommodation for that night when its so easy for me to get there...

I'm sure it will be fine, otherwise they would invite people on the day before :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending