The Student Room Group

Dr Martens too big/too small

So I ordered size 5 Dr Martens because I heard you should get a size smaller than you usually are and they don't do half sizes (I'm a 5 and a half) and they were slipping out so much I had to swap them for a size 4.

However, after wearing the size 4's for a day I realised that (even with the insoles taken out) they pinch my toes and breaking them in apparently does nothing to the length.

Should I keep the size 4's or swap back for the size 5's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by vices
So I ordered size 5 Dr Martens because I heard you should get a size smaller than you usually are and they don't do half sizes (I'm a 5 and a half) and they were slipping out so much I had to swap them for a size 4.

However, after wearing the size 4's for a day I realised that (even with the insoles taken out) they pinch my toes and breaking them in apparently does nothing to the length.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Switch back to the 5's, and wear thick socks if you have to.
Reply 2
I think you should complain to the nhs, this dr is clearly not qualified enough
Original post by ubisoft

more intrigued by your name than actual comment
poor game developer:wink:
Original post by vices

Posted from TSR Mobile

:zomg:

I have always heard get a size BIGGER. Everyone knows DMs are tough to break into because they're so perfectly made that there's no give. I am currently wearing a pair and the size is my exact size but I was desperate to get the pair because it was from a limited DAI studded edition, and there were only sizes too big or right perfect size for me. I took the latter and have had em two years and they still kinda ache. :s-smilie: But beauty knows no pain! :awesome::amazing:
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
more intrigued by your name than actual comment
poor game developer:wink:

I signed up in 2011 ok when AC Brotherhood came out :ashamed2:
Reply 6
Original post by RyJ
Switch back to the 5's, and wear thick socks if you have to.

Okay I'll try them and see how they turn out after wearing them, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ubisoft

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Maggie_O
:zomg:

I have always heard get a size BIGGER. Everyone knows DMs are tough to break into because they're so perfectly made that there's no give. I am currently wearing a pair and the size is my exact size but I was desperate to get the pair because it was from a limited DAI studded edition, and there were only sizes too big or right perfect size for me. I took the latter and have had em two years and they still kinda ache. :s-smilie: But beauty knows no pain! :awesome::amazing:

Really? Everywhere I looked online said cause they're unisex women should get a smaller size than they're usual size, but I'll try the 5's anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vices
Really? Everywhere I looked online said cause they're unisex women should get a smaller size than they're usual size, but I'll try the 5's anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly if you ordered online, you need to make sure you got the size conversions right for each country. Secondly yea well I have small feet so I am told that in order to stop em from looking like clown shoes on me I should get a size smaller, but I've been told that they're hard to break in so get a size bigger than your trainer size because otherwise they'll be right fit on your feet and blister.

But anyway I agree, keep the bigger size and wear socks or stuff.
This is the problem I’m having what did you do ?
What did you do? My current problem too
Original post by Fibonacci55
What did you do? My current problem too

Size up and thick socks.

You can always add more stuffing but you can't shrink your feet.

Or alternatively, look at Solovair. IIRC they manufacture Dr Mar's Made in England line which is known for absolutely solid quality. Solovair offers similar boots but also have half sizes available.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest