The Student Room Group

Au Revoir Les Enfants - Le rôle de Jean ?

And it's that time of the year again when I am struggling and I suck at everything

What am I actually supposed to write for something like this?? I can think of literally nothing to say about this question, or any examples of things that I did manage to say about it.

How are you actually supposed to analyse anything?? I just don't understand and this is probably the greatest reason why I chose not to do English Literature at A-Level!

ARLE is the compulsory film at my school, so I have no way out of this. Some help would be nice but judging from what already exists, not much will be available c:
Original post by loinducoeur
And it's that time of the year again when I am struggling and I suck at everything

What am I actually supposed to write for something like this?? I can think of literally nothing to say about this question, or any examples of things that I did manage to say about it.

How are you actually supposed to analyse anything?? I just don't understand and this is probably the greatest reason why I chose not to do English Literature at A-Level!

ARLE is the compulsory film at my school, so I have no way out of this. Some help would be nice but judging from what already exists, not much will be available c:

Just saying, you can write about whichever specified film you want :smile: Your school choose one and that's the only one you'll analyse in lesson, but if you personally don't like the film and would be willing to work on another one by yourself, you are entitled to do so

This is what I've done but for the exposé instead - my class are studying a book called Thérèse Desqueyroux for the exposé and every Monday we analyse and talk about it for an hour. I personally hate it so I've decided to do mine, and have already, on La Haine as I can say a lot more about this and I love it. Granted, the FN4 essay requires much more effort but if you want you could change :smile:

Sorry I can't be of help en ce qui conerne Au Revoir Les Enfants, but just thought I'd point the above out to you !
Reply 2
Original post by beyknowles2
Just saying, you can write about whichever specified film you want :smile: Your school choose one and that's the only one you'll analyse in lesson, but if you personally don't like the film and would be willing to work on another one by yourself, you are entitled to do so

This is what I've done but for the exposé instead - my class are studying a book called Thérèse Desqueyroux for the exposé and every Monday we analyse and talk about it for an hour. I personally hate it so I've decided to do mine, and have already, on La Haine as I can say a lot more about this and I love it. Granted, the FN4 essay requires much more effort but if you want you could change :smile:

Sorry I can't be of help en ce qui conerne Au Revoir Les Enfants, but just thought I'd point the above out to you !

Ah! I didn't realise that at all! If that's the case, then I would probably consider changing films. I did ask my teacher today and she said I was doing fine so I was probably overreacting. Thank you so much though! :smile:
Ah! I didn't realise that at all! If that's the case, then I would probably consider changing films. I did ask my teacher today and she said I was doing fine so I was probably overreacting. Thank you so much though! :smile:

If you're not doing too bad at this stage (baring in mind it's still very early, you have until June to improve!) then I wouldn't suggest changing now, but if you do consider it then I recommend Les Choristes definitely, if you didn't do it as your exposé. It's very easy to analyse and a nice film :h:
Qu'est-ce que tu veux qu'j'te dis?
Reply 5
Original post by Semaphore
Qu'est-ce que tu veux qu'j'te dis?

Par exemple, qu'est-ce que Jean répresente dans le film? C'était difficile en général pour moi de comprendre ces choses parce que je peux pas "analyser" les films.

C'est pas urgente maintenant parce que j'ai demandé à mon prof et elle me dit que j'ai les ideas assez bien et je dois les développer un peu plus, mais merci si tu me donne quelques conseils! :smile:
Par exemple, qu'est-ce que Jean répresente dans le film? C'était difficile en général pour moi de comprendre ces choses parce que je peux pas "analyser" les films.

C'est pas urgente maintenant parce que j'ai demandé à mon prof et elle me dit que j'ai les ideas assez bien et je dois les développer un peu plus, mais merci si tu me donne quelques conseils! :smile:

j'ai démandé à ma prof et elle m'a dit que j'avais de bonnes idées :tongue: plutôt ça

tu me donnes

Its better to choose a theme than a character, I'm doing betrayal and showing that through Jean, Julien, Joseph, the nun etc.
I'd suggest writing a well written version in English first and translating the points made
other themes are humanity, conflict, struggle, childhood to adulthood
Original post by urteeththo
Its better to choose a theme than a character, I'm doing betrayal and showing that through Jean, Julien, Joseph, the nun etc.
I'd suggest writing a well written version in English first and translating the points made

I think she's referring to the FN4 essay and not the FN3 exposé? In which case you don't get to choose the question, you get a choice of two so you need to prepare for everything
Reply 9
Original post by urteeththo

Yeah, I was referring to the FN4 essay c: I'm doing Persepolis for the FN3 exposé.

Original post by beyknowles2
j'ai démandé à ma prof et elle m'a dit que j'avais de bonnes idées :tongue: plutôt ça

tu me donnes

Haha, thanks! :biggrin:
Haha, thanks! :biggrin:

De rien :smile: J'aime recevoir des corrections moi aussi, ça aide à améliorer enfin !

I haven't personally watched Au revoir les enfants but I recommend just giving a re-watch and keeping a piece of paper and a pen handy, so you can jot down anything particular that Jean does which in any way influence the plot, the other characters or even the audience.

You may not be on the same exam board as me, I'm with WJEC, but questions on Les Choristes are often in the form of "Analysez le rôle et l'influence de (insert character) [45 marks]), and I like to start with the rôle, including personality, qualities etc. then I go on to analyse the influence they have on the other characters, on the plot (i.e. do they bring about any changes and how?) and on the viewers, if that seems relevant for a particular character.

Maybe you could try looking for information like such and go from there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending