The Student Room Group

French A Level Literature and Films

Hi all :smile:

I’ve decided to fast track French A Level and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for which literature and film I should pick. I can either do two books or one book and one film. I’ll be on the AQA spec so if anyone has any revision or learning strategies I’d greatly appreciate it as I’m a private candidate
Book list:
Molière Le Tartuffe
Voltaire Candide
Guy de Maupassant Boule de Suif et autres contes de la guerre
Albert Camus L’étranger
Françoise Sagan Bonjour tristesse
Claire Etcherelli Elise ou la vraie vie
Joseph Joffo Un sac de billes
Faïza Guène Kiffe kiffe demain
Philippe Grimbert Un secret
Delphine de Vigan No et moi

Film list:
Les 400 coups François Truffaut (1959)
Au revoir les enfants Louis Malle (1987)
La Haine Mathieu Kassovitz (1995)
L’auberge espagnole Cédric Klapisch (2002)
Un long dimanche de fiançailles Jean-Pierre Jeunet (2004)
Entre les murs Laurent Cantet (2008)
(edited 8 months ago)
I'd suggest doing 1 book 1 film as all books would be a bit heavy.
I did No et Moi and I hated the book a lot but the questions tend to be more approachable which is a huge plus.
Au Revoir les Enfants is quite fun but some years have had a few difficult questions (not this year thank god).
I'd take all these factors into consideration.
Original post by Jeparlepas
I'd suggest doing 1 book 1 film as all books would be a bit heavy.
I did No et Moi and I hated the book a lot but the questions tend to be more approachable which is a huge plus.
Au Revoir les Enfants is quite fun but some years have had a few difficult questions (not this year thank god).
I'd take all these factors into consideration.

Thanks for this, I had a feeling it would be too much. Right now, I’m stuck between L’étranger, les sac de billes and au revoir les enfants.
Also, do you have any tips for going into the A Level and answering the essay questions please? I don’t know anyone who’s doing the A Level
Reply 3
being a month, i'll assume you've already chosen which you're going to pick, but with essay questions my main bit of advice would just be lots of practise (particularly grammar). Try and have some useful set phrases with correct grammar that will get you good marks. Good luck! ps. if you chose un sac de billes i have some resources on it as i did it for my a level
Original post by SodaMontgomery
Thanks for this, I had a feeling it would be too much. Right now, I’m stuck between L’étranger, les sac de billes and au revoir les enfants.
Also, do you have any tips for going into the A Level and answering the essay questions please? I don’t know anyone who’s doing the A Level
Reply 4
Original post by lemonfru_
being a month, i'll assume you've already chosen which you're going to pick, but with essay questions my main bit of advice would just be lots of practise (particularly grammar). Try and have some useful set phrases with correct grammar that will get you good marks. Good luck! ps. if you chose un sac de billes i have some resources on it as i did it for my a level

Hey I’m sorry to bring up an old thread, would you happen to still have any of your un sac de billes resources?
Hi, im doing un sac de billes for my A-level now, do you have any of those resources. Thanks
Original post by lemonfru_

if you still have your un sac de billes resources, id be interested please 😄

Quick Reply

Latest