The Student Room Group

Best answer will receive a like, comment back and a follow for this biology question

Oxygen diffuses from lungs to blood whilst carbon dioxide passes from blood into the lungs. Explain why the movement of eachgas is essentially in one direction only, your answer must include numerical values (8marks) :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't know oxygen was only in the one direction "fandom." Weird. I would consider it to be more of a Justin Bieber fan.

I have no idea why I said that. I had no idea how to answer your question.
Reply 2
Original post by Kholmes1
I didn't know oxygen was only in the one direction "fandom." Weird. I would consider it to be more of a Justin Bieber fan.

I have no idea why I said that. I had no idea how to answer your question.

LOOOOOL :ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee:
Original post by asdfghjkl12
Oxygen diffuses from lungs to blood whilst carbon dioxide passes from blood into the lungs. Explain why the movement of eachgas is essentially in one direction only, your answer must include numerical values (8marks) :h:

Can't give you "numerical values" because I haven't studied it at that much detail, but I can try to give you some sort of idea based on what I know. Oxygen enters the body from the air and goes to the lungs, it diffuses from the lungs into the blood and the blood carries it to different cells in the body; when blood travels past a certain cell or tissue, oxygen diffuses into it and it is used there for respiration, to provide the cell or tissue with energy. All of the oxygen is used, so none diffuses back into the blood.

A waste product of this respiration, of course, is carbon dioxide. This is produced at the cells that have undergone respiration, and it is toxic so it needs to be removed as quickly as possible, this is the point of ventilation. Carbon dioxide is of no use to the cells, so when blood travels past cells that have built up carbon dioxide from respiration, it diffuses into the blood then the blood travels back up to the lungs, and the carbon dioxide diffuses from the blood into the lungs and is exhaled

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
Original post by beyknowles2
Can't give you "numerical values" because I haven't studied it at that much detail, but I can try to give you some sort of idea based on what I know. Oxygen enters the body from the air and goes to the lungs, it diffuses from the lungs into the blood and the blood carries it to different cells in the body; when blood travels past a certain cell or tissue, oxygen diffuses into it and it is used there for respiration, to provide the cell or tissue with energy. All of the oxygen is used, so none diffuses back into the blood.

A waste product of this respiration, of course, is carbon dioxide. This is produced at the cells that have undergone respiration, and it is toxic so it needs to be removed as quickly as possible, this is the point of ventilation. Carbon dioxide is of no use to the cells, so when blood travels past cells that have built up carbon dioxide from respiration, it diffuses into the blood then the blood travels back up to the lungs, and the carbon dioxide diffuses from the blood into the lungs and is exhaled

Hope that helps.

Thank you, the explanation is detailed so I will work out the numerical values
Here is the best answer...

Spoiler

Original post by asdfghjkl12

LOOL the best answer is your homework complete..
That was just a bit of revision for me :lol: Had to rack my brain

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending