The Student Room Group

Cambridge Mphil biological sciences

Any other applicants here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Any other applicants here?

Hey, yess! I applied for the immunology track and have an interview on Wednesday. So excited! How about you?
Reply 2
Hi!! Congrats! I have already completed my interview on the 11th for crop science and now waiting to hear back 😅
Reply 3
Original post by lyucheu
Hi!! Congrats! I have already completed my interview on the 11th for crop science and now waiting to hear back 😅

Oh nice, that was early! How did it go? Did they tell you when you can expect an answer?
Reply 4
Original post by #appletree
Oh nice, that was early! How did it go? Did they tell you when you can expect an answer?

i think it went pretty decently. the professors are quite friendly! I didn't ask them, so no i didn't get an answer for that unfortunately !
Reply 5
Ah okay, maybe I will get the chance to ask that. Or we'll just have to wait then :smile: Did you get any subject-specific questions testing your background knowledge?
Reply 6
Ah okay, maybe I will get the chance to ask that. Or we'll just have to wait then :smile: Did you get any subject-specific questions testing your background knowledge?

yes i did. so firstly, they asked about my research project I did in the summer, then they asked me what new events/developments has spurred my interest in the subject i am applying to, and another question was what i thought the future will be like. So i recommended reading around your subject and relate it to something personal or any experience you have had. :smile:
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 7
i found this on the official forum for cambridge postgraduates which i found very helpful.
Know what you said in your application and be prepared to explain/say more about that, in a fairly informal, conversational setting.
review your 5-10-year career plan, elucidating how the chosen degree aligns with your personal goals.
Be prepared to NOT be asked about anything off of your resume or the standard "tell me about yourself." With that said, if there are any standard behavioral questions (e.g., tell me about a time where....XYZ), simply pull a story from your past (something relevant but don't be afraid to use an example not too far off the cuff) and use the 'STAR' method; furthermore, justify your decision-making process and review your 5-10-year career plan, elucidating how the chosen degree aligns with your personal goals. Interviewers are less interested in the standard 'walk me through your resume' question; instead, they focus on the rationale behind your decisions.
If you've reached the interview stage, take a deep breath, as it is primarily a formality and a 'fit' interview, akin to most interviews at this stage in the process, whether at this university or other high-performing roles. Be prepared to know why you are a good candidate or what you can contribute to the cohort vs program (I differentiated these two on purpose to be precise, as they have different answers). Please avoid going on tangents and focus on a topic and do not be afraid to ask for a few seconds to gather your thoughts (interviewers would respect that more because it shows situational awareness). Additionally, always prepare 2-3 thoughtful, non-standard questions for your interviewers.
Craft these questions to be non-generic and forward-looking, inquiring about the program's specific plans for the next couple of years, how the program has addressed recognized weaknesses, and more. However, this does not mean merely asking those questions. Conduct thorough research on the program and any recent events. For example, I recently learned about a few biotech companies that were Cambridge-based spin-offs, raising $50-$150M+. I made a specific comment about the Cambridge biotech ecosystem (specifically genomics and the like given that's more prevalent there), supporting my reason (and how it relates to my career as well as my interest in broadening my academic/professional network) for pursuing the program, followed by a broader question related to my comment (i.e., I always refrain from asking direct questions; instead, I make a relevant comment that exhibits broad knowledge and why the relevant comment I made is important to me, without coming off too strong, and then tie it into a question. This approach is more holistic, which shows an applicant's deep interest and understanding..
> Know the rationale behind your decisions.
>
Reply 8
Thank you for your detailed answer! I had already prepared many of these questions. But I have added a few thanks to your response.
Reply 9
Hey, I just had my interview. They told me they try to make a decision within 2 weeks.
Reply 10
Hey, I just had my interview. They told me they try to make a decision within 2 weeks.

oh nice. how did the interview go?
Original post by lyucheu
oh nice. how did the interview go?

The panel was really friendly and created a good atmosphere. I think I was able to answer a lot of the questions quite well, but not all of them. Looking back, I feel that sometimes my answers were not so well structured. So let's wait and see.
Reply 12
The panel was really friendly and created a good atmosphere. I think I was able to answer a lot of the questions quite well, but not all of them. Looking back, I feel that sometimes my answers were not so well structured. So let's wait and see.

ahh Fingers crossed 🤞
Reply 13
For anyone doing crop science I emailed them and they said that today is the last day for interviews and so panels will be making their decisions in the next following days
Original post by lyucheu
ahh Fingers crossed 🤞

Thanks! 🤗
Reply 15
Hi all. I was moved to 'Under review by degree committee' yesterday, for the Dev Bio pathway. Taking it as a good sign though far from out of the woods.
Reply 16
Original post by timang94
Hi all. I was moved to 'Under review by degree committee' yesterday, for the Dev Bio pathway. Taking it as a good sign though far from out of the woods.

nice! im still stuck on department review
Hey, I just received an unofficial offer and was moved to Awaiting approval by Postgraduate Admissions Office. But in the mail it sounds like the step in the PAO is more a formality.
Reply 18
As an update today - I also just moved on to PAO. Sigh of relief.
Original post by timang94

hi, congrats! may i know when did you have your interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending