The Student Room Group

Worst module for Edexcel specification

What do you think is the most horrific module you've studied/or are studying in A-level maths and why?
Me? As a year 12 who started in September I'd say S2, doing it rn for AS Further Maths and it has taken three months for the inequalities to click and chapter 3 is now a pain. :frown: Hopefully I'll understand it over the next week before my test on Thursday :O

I know year 13's would say FP2??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaArgonian
What do you think is the most horrific module you've studied/or are studying in A-level maths and why?
Me? As a year 12 who started in September I'd say S2, doing it rn for AS Further Maths and it has taken three months for the inequalities to click and chapter 3 is now a pain. :frown: Hopefully I'll understand it over the next week before my test on Thursday :O

I'm an A2 student studying Maths and Further maths

At AS, I did M1, D1 and D2 alongside the compulsory modules (C1, C2, FP1) and any decision module is horrible. It's barely maths, it's more of a memory test. Memorise how the algorithm works and substitute in values. If you make one mistake there is no follow through marks so if you get 1+1 wrong at the start then you'll end up losing 9-10 marks. D1 is worse than D2. At least D2 has repetitive questions in exams but D1 was a nightmare. Decision modules are easy though, but I hate them.

At A2, I just finished FP2 and I honestly don't find anything bad about it. If you do loads of questions from the text book and some past papers you'll be fine The questions are long and tedious but I like it more than decision modules any day.
FP2. It was the one module that I never really under and messing it up, well that and S2, cost me an A* in Further Maths. :shakecane:
Original post by kelvin1338
I'm an A2 student studying Maths and Further maths

At AS, I did M1, D1 and D2 alongside the compulsory modules (C1, C2, FP1) and any decision module is horrible. It's barely maths, it's more of a memory test. Memorise how the algorithm works and substitute in values. If you make one mistake there is no follow through marks so if you get 1+1 wrong at the start then you'll end up losing 9-10 marks. D1 is worse than D2. At least D2 has repetitive questions in exams but D1 was a nightmare. Decision modules are easy though, but I hate them.

At A2, I just finished FP2 and I honestly don't find anything bad about it. If you do loads of questions from the text book and some past papers you'll be fine The questions are long and tedious but I like it more than decision modules any day.

Yeah I do C1, C2, S1, S2, FP1 and M1 and I'm trying to convince my school to let me do M2 instead of D1 along with C3, C4, FP2, FP3 and M3.

Yeah I'd say its still maths but I hate 'one mistake blows it' scenarios too.
Original post by SeanFM
FP2. It was the one module that I never really under and messing it up, well that and S2, cost me an A* in Further Maths. :shakecane:

Damn that sucks, at least you got an A though :biggrin:
Yeah do M2. It's an A2 module. If you get 90% it counts towards the A* but if you do D1 and get 90% it is meaningless :frown:
Yeah I do C1, C2, S1, S2, FP1 and M1 and I'm trying to convince my school to let me do M2 instead of D1 along with C3, C4, FP2, FP3 and M3.

Yeah I'd say its still maths but I hate 'one mistake blows it' scenarios too.
Reply 6
Stats. I hate it. I got an E on the exam, which let down my entire grade. So glad we don't have to do S2.
I found M2 boring. FP2 was one of the highlights lmao.

S1 is the worst by far, 150+ pages of the most boring maths you will ever lay your eyes on

S2 and S3 have pulled my opinion on statistics up slightly, they were decent
Reply 9
Out of the 13 I've done? S1. Find S2 (and occasionally S3) easier.
Original post by DylanJ42
S1 is the worst by far, 150+ pages of the most boring maths you will ever lay your eyes on

I guess you didn't have examsolutions as part of your life then hahah :wink:
I haven't ever opened a maths book just watched videos and do Exam board past papers + International A level past papers, which seems more than enough for me. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I haven't ever opened a maths book just watched videos and do Exam board past papers + International A level past papers, which seems more than enough for me. :tongue:

I think I'll use exam solutions for some FP3 stuff, especially the integration, it looks quite tricky!

I done it in school as part of my AS Maths, we spent about 2 months on means,medians and modes from frequency tables :afraid: It still haunts my nightmares!

True but S1 isn't difficult but then same applies to D1...
True but S1 isn't difficult but then same applies to D1...

Yes not difficult but very very boring, I had a quick look through D1, it looks okay honestly
Reply 14
FP2 isn't that bad to be honest. Realistically, the most difficult would probably be M5, M4 and FP3. M3 and FP2 would be behind by a significant margin. Only my opinion, though.
Reply 15
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I would like to do this method to whiz through modules, but isn't it risky?? What if you miss a topic in your textbook that unfortunately comes up in a paper!!
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
FP2 isn't that bad to be honest. Realistically, the most difficult would probably be M5, M4 and FP3. M3 and FP2 would be behind by a significant margin. Only my opinion, though.

Yeah I'd agree with M4 and M5 but most say FP3 is nicer than FP2.
As a Y13 retaking the whole damn year, any Decision Module takes the cake. Simplex Algorithm, enough said. (It should really be called the Complex Algorithm, since there's nothing 'simple' about it!!)
Original post by Naruke
I would like to do this method to whiz through modules, but isn't it risky?? What if you miss a topic in your textbook that unfortunately comes up in a paper!!

I personally don't find it risky since the videos are broken down by topic, which I can see in the textbooks in class that cover all the topics. The videos summaries the theory behind it and show core example methods. From there, I take the principles from the theory and jump into past papers and then after that look at the worked video solution(if possible since im a visual learner) otherwise look at the mark scheme and just go from there.

It saves me the hassle of spending so much time going through the class maths textbooks. I'm a visual learner but I guess it depends upon what type of learner you are.
I think I'll use exam solutions for some FP3 stuff, especially the integration, it looks quite tricky!

I done it in school as part of my AS Maths, we spent about 2 months on means,medians and modes from frequency tables :afraid: It still haunts my nightmares!

Wow 2 months. I spend about less than 1 hour on that for S1 at home I remember my class taking about 1-1.5 week on it. Are you doing further maths a level? If so, I take it you dont want to do any more stats modules?
I'm stuck with M2+S2 as my applied modules.

Quick Reply

Latest