The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16

Scroll to see replies

If a 14 year old girl came in asking for contraceptive pills then what would you say?
Original post by cookiemonster15
I think maybe how doctors diagnose which was important and also the heavy academic content in medicine.

Tbh, I think this question is slightly unfair, you don't go up to someone who wants to be a teacher and ask them, why not a childminder (for example)

It might be unfair but i guess that what makes it difficult lol
Anyone else got any ideas how they would go about answering this question?
Guys for Leicester medicine, do we need a certified AS certificates ? Because I haven't got it ! I thought it was only if you have finished A level :frown: any help ?
Original post by aspiring_
Guys for Leicester medicine, do we need a certified AS certificates ? Because I haven't got it ! I thought it was only if you have finished A level :frown: any help ?

Yeah if you're in year 13 and haven't yet achieved A-Levels you don't need to bring any photocopies. It's just for those that have achieved A-levels that you need to bring certified copies. I think for you its just the A4 sheet and identification then :smile:
Original post by RDB1826
Yeah if you're in year 13 and haven't yet achieved A-Levels you don't need to bring any photocopies. It's just for those that have achieved A-levels that you need to bring certified copies. I think for you its just the A4 sheet and identification then :smile:

Thank you so much ! Just got home from an interview and was literally contemplating going to school to find a teacher :colondollar: too panicked after all the awful interviews Ive had so need this to go well :smile:
Thank you so much ! Just got home from an interview and was literally contemplating going to school to find a teacher :colondollar: too panicked after all the awful interviews Ive had so need this to go well :smile:

Good luck, you should be fine! How have you found the poster?
Original post by RDB1826
Good luck, you should be fine! How have you found the poster?

I did mine just now :smile: by hand ! So fine tbf wbu ? Also, they said to bring an extra copy, is that just for me to use during the thing ? Because my photocopier isn't the best :colondollar:
Any advice on how to answer an interview question like "Take us through your personal statement."

Do you just go through it bit by bit in order or is there a structure to follow?

Thanks!
I did mine just now :smile: by hand ! So fine tbf wbu ? Also, they said to bring an extra copy, is that just for me to use during the thing ? Because my photocopier isn't the best :colondollar:

I'm not sure whether you need to bring a copy, but I know that they keep the copy you give to them. I can't draw, so used the computer lol
I couldn't go from college to Medicine, or at least the way up there would be very convoluted (foundation year and that blah blah) so I applied for Mental Health Nursing which can get me into Forensic Psychiatry after, which is definitely what I wanted to do!
Applying for Stirling, Edinburgh Napier, Dundee, Surrey and Caledonian!
Just got a QMUL interview for THE 8th of February
Original post by maraznag
Just got a QMUL interview for THE 8th of February

Hello and well done!

QMUL (or Barts and London) hosts a traditional (panel) style interview. There is lots of info on this page of the website. Although your interview isn't for a month, it's a good idea to start preparing now, so when it comes to the real thing you do your absolute best.

Normally interview panels consist of two members of senior academic or clinical staff, a medical student and sometimes a lay selector. It's not meant to be intimidating, and so try to feel at ease in order to have a good interview!

On the website, it says the following will be evaluated:

- motivation and realistic approach to medicine as a career (i.e. look up the daily challenges of being a doctor, the emotional and physical impact, and think of personal examples where you've experienced this, or found ways of overcoming difficulty)

- show initiative, resilience and maturity

- work well as part of a team (think of personal examples of when you worked in a team - what role did you take? Were you the team leader? Were you successful in your task? What would you change about the experience if you could do it again? How do you reflect on this experience?)

- be well organised and demonstrate problem solving abilities (look up practice problem solving questions for medicine interviews on Google or university websites, or on our website here! Practice thinking logically and forming both 'for' and 'against' arguments before you come to any conclusions about actions you may take to solve a problem)

- likely contribution to university life (what extra-curricular activities are you interested in? Have you looked up the sports teams that you could join at university? What about societies?)

- communicate effectively in a wide range of situations (this is just to assess your communication skills. Practice this by doing a range of different questions and trying to answer them coherently. Often, it helps to outline an answer first, then go on to explain your answer, and then you can summarise with a conclusion)

Be sure to brush up on your personal statement, so you know what books/literature you've mentioned, and any work experience you've written about. Make sure you are able to reflect on any work experience you've done as well!

Finally, make sure you are up-to-date with your science/maths syllabuses, and medicine current affairs like the NHS and latest medical news. Also, make sure you know the course structure well!

Remember to do plenty of research outside of the advice we've given and try to prepare for any extra things that could come up!

We hope this helps - and good luck!

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hello and well done!

QMUL (or Barts and London) hosts a traditional (panel) style interview. There is lots of info on this page of the website. Although your interview isn't for a month, it's a good idea to start preparing now, so when it comes to the real thing you do your absolute best.

Normally interview panels consist of two members of senior academic or clinical staff, a medical student and sometimes a lay selector. It's not meant to be intimidating, and so try to feel at ease in order to have a good interview!

On the website, it says the following will be evaluated:

- motivation and realistic approach to medicine as a career (i.e. look up the daily challenges of being a doctor, the emotional and physical impact, and think of personal examples where you've experienced this, or found ways of overcoming difficulty)

- show initiative, resilience and maturity

- work well as part of a team (think of personal examples of when you worked in a team - what role did you take? Were you the team leader? Were you successful in your task? What would you change about the experience if you could do it again? How do you reflect on this experience?)

- be well organised and demonstrate problem solving abilities (look up practice problem solving questions for medicine interviews on Google or university websites, or on our website here! Practice thinking logically and forming both 'for' and 'against' arguments before you come to any conclusions about actions you may take to solve a problem)

- likely contribution to university life (what extra-curricular activities are you interested in? Have you looked up the sports teams that you could join at university? What about societies?)

- communicate effectively in a wide range of situations (this is just to assess your communication skills. Practice this by doing a range of different questions and trying to answer them coherently. Often, it helps to outline an answer first, then go on to explain your answer, and then you can summarise with a conclusion)

Be sure to brush up on your personal statement, so you know what books/literature you've mentioned, and any work experience you've written about. Make sure you are able to reflect on any work experience you've done as well!

Finally, make sure you are up-to-date with your science/maths syllabuses, and medicine current affairs like the NHS and latest medical news. Also, make sure you know the course structure well!

Remember to do plenty of research outside of the advice we've given and try to prepare for any extra things that could come up!

We hope this helps - and good luck!

The Medic Portal

Advice for Leicester and Birmingham interviews pls 😬?
Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15
Advice for Leicester and Birmingham interviews pls 😬?

Hello! See this thread here for advice on Leicester interviews! We answered someone else who had the same question :smile: .

On the Birmingham Medicine website, if you scroll down to the section named 'The Interview' you'll find a link to this page (it's actually a PDF which you can download or view in your browser). It really goes in-depth, and into great detail about the different kinds of stations, and what you'll be assessed on - so definitely have a thorough read of the whole document, and try and prepare for all the types of stations mentioned by doing lots of practice!

Why not use our free interview question bank here, which has worked questions and answers.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hello! See this thread here for advice on Leicester interviews! We answered someone else who had the same question :smile: .

On the Birmingham Medicine website, if you scroll down to the section named 'The Interview' you'll find a link to this page (it's actually a PDF which you can download or view in your browser). It really goes in-depth, and into great detail about the different kinds of stations, and what you'll be assessed on - so definitely have a thorough read of the whole document, and try and prepare for all the types of stations mentioned by doing lots of practice!

Why not use our free interview question bank here, which has worked questions and answers.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

Thanks
Does anyone know whether QUB's MMIs will have anything based on personal statement? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys if your MMI is 10 stations long and you really mess up one of them, is there still a chance of an offer? I had my Dundee interview today, and it was going swimmingly well until my last station, then I panicked on the very last question of my interview and sounded very "non-empathetic", and I would probably say a little unethical... I'm so worried this goes against me 😔 I didn't mean it...
Congrats on getting an interview! My interview in Dundee was on the 7th December and I think it went well although it's quite hard to tell! Don't worry about it because in the briefing, we were told that there are some current medical students who scored highly in other stations but REALLY messed up in one or two stations, and obviously still got in! So just try to put it out of your head! :smile:
Got an interview at Lancaster today for the 20th of January!!! It's MMI so slightly nervous 😖

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending