The Student Room Group

How to integrate (2x)(3-x)^-1) C4 integration

(2x)(3-x)^-1
Reply 1
Moved to maths. :h:

What have you tried so far? What's the full question?
Reply 2
Try partial fractions.
Reply 3
Make it ((3-X)^-1)(2x) and integrate by parts? That's how I'd do it I think lol?

Dont think its a log so
Reply 4
Original post by RonnieRJ
Make it ((3-X)^-1)(2x) and integrate by parts? That's how I'd do it I think lol?

Dont think its a log so

You've just re-written the integrand with the brackets in opposite places, and integration by parts is not a viable approach here.

There is a logarithmic term in the evaluation...
Reply 5
Original post by family'sfailure
(2x)(3-x)^-1

2xx3=2(x3+3x3)=2(1+3x3)\displaystyle - 2\frac{x}{x-3} = -2 \left(\frac{x-3 + 3}{x-3}\right) = -2 \left(1 + \frac{3}{x-3}\right)
(2x)(3-x)^-1

Original post by alow
Try partial fractions.

If 2x/(3-x), how can that be decomposed?

I would write 2x3x\dfrac{2x}{3-x} as (62x)3x+63x\dfrac{-(6-2x)}{3-x}+\dfrac{6}{3-x}
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
You've just re-written the integrand with the brackets in opposite places, and integration by parts is not a viable approach here.

There is a logarithmic term in the evaluation...

Yeah exactly, so that you don't have to try and raise the power of the bracket by one

And oh whoops didn't look at it that way
Reply 8
Yeah exactly, so that you don't have to try and raise the power of the bracket by one

What...?
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
What...?

Dw it works in my head lmao I appreciate you'd do it differently
Reply 10
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
(2x)(3-x)^-1

If 2x/(3-x), how can that be decomposed?

I would write 2x3x\dfrac{2x}{3-x} as (62x)3x+63x\dfrac{-(6-2x)}{3-x}+\dfrac{6}{3-x}

63x2\dfrac{6}{3-x} -2
Dw it works in my head lmao I appreciate you'd do it differently

No
No

No?:colonhash:
Original post by alow
63x2\dfrac{6}{3-x} -2

Yes :tongue:. Sorry! I phrased my question wrongly.

Is the above also considered partial fractions? I thought that partial fraction decomposition was concerned with the decomposition of fractions with algebraic denominators of order 2 or above.
(edited 8 years ago)
No?:colonhash:

It is not that Zackan is saying that that you don't know how to integrate by parts.

He is saying that it's not the correct technique to use here.
Reply 15
Yes :tongue:. Sorry! I phrased my question wrongly.

Is the above also considered partial fractions? I thought that partial fraction decomposition was concerned with the decomposition of fractions with algebraic denominators with order 2 or above.

I'd still call it that because you use the same method just with a constant factor (i.e. a factor with denominator 1).
It is not that Zackan is saying that that you don't know how to integrate by parts.

He is saying that it's not the correct technique to use here.

That's what I said lmao? I said I now appreciate you'd do it a different way lol
Original post by Zacken
2xx3=2(x3+3x3)=2(1+3x3)\displaystyle - 2\frac{x}{x-3} = -2 \left(\frac{x-3 + 3}{x-3}\right) = -2 \left(1 + \frac{3}{x-3}\right)

You really do love this trick :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by kingaaran
You really do love this trick :tongue:

It's a nice one :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest