The Student Room Group

Schools Direct Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I do agree different providers have different methods, the one i accepted required a seperate interview with the university and another provider didn't.
Would be nice if they all followed the same routine but hey that would be too easy :smile:

I was told on Friday that I should be hearing back very soon about the uni interview even though I got the offer back in december. The sooner I know its a sure thing the sooner I can find out which programming languages I need to retrain back into.

Is anyone else dreading the long wait between now and when you start in end of august/start of september?
Reply 41
Hi, just introducing myself...I've only just applied (still waiting on references). I had planned to apply for sep 2017 but circumstances have changed meaning i can try for this year.

I'm applying for secondary maths. It feels that a lot of people are applying for primary. I'd love to hear from people who have had secondary interviews/had to prepare for a short lesson.
Hello giz, I'm also going for secondary though in computer science not maths.

I have had my interviews already and accepted an offer, now just waiting on the university interview date. I loved the short lesson how long is yours? Mine was 30mins which at the request of the teacher observing me, I ended up doing the entire 50min lesson. It was also the same place I got the offer I accepted.

I have taught a number of lessons already both in interviews, work experience and also at college. Pretty simply put a lesson is a presentation, so break it down into 3 simple steps:
1. Introduction and what is the learning outcome (what they will learn about)
2. Main section involving a number of different tasks or activitys to teach the area you need to teach
3.A plenary and return to the learning outcomes.

Remember it is more about your character than your teaching experience, they are looking at training you to become a teacher not recruiting you to be a new staff member to fill a position.
Probably the biggest piece of advise I can give is enjoy yourself and show your enthusiasm for the subject.
In my interview lesson I was getting the students to have fun and laugh while working on some of the boring parts of computer science, I even ended up getting the observing teacher involved who later turned out to be the deputy head.

Think about the resources you are going to need, are you going to get the students to do group or individual tasks, are these going to be practical or paperbased in nature?

Also google school experience programme, because you are doing maths which is a priority subject they will assign you an advisor who will be able to help you out.

I think that is enough for now and I hope it helps you out.
Reply 43
Original post by gentlegiant
Hello giz, I'm also going for secondary though in computer science not maths.

I have had my interviews already and accepted an offer, now just waiting on the university interview date. I loved the short lesson how long is yours? Mine was 30mins which at the request of the teacher observing me, I ended up doing the entire 50min lesson. It was also the same place I got the offer I accepted.

I have taught a number of lessons already both in interviews, work experience and also at college. Pretty simply put a lesson is a presentation, so break it down into 3 simple steps:
1. Introduction and what is the learning outcome (what they will learn about)
2. Main section involving a number of different tasks or activitys to teach the area you need to teach
3.A plenary and return to the learning outcomes.

Remember it is more about your character than your teaching experience, they are looking at training you to become a teacher not recruiting you to be a new staff member to fill a position.
Probably the biggest piece of advise I can give is enjoy yourself and show your enthusiasm for the subject.
In my interview lesson I was getting the students to have fun and laugh while working on some of the boring parts of computer science, I even ended up getting the observing teacher involved who later turned out to be the deputy head.

Think about the resources you are going to need, are you going to get the students to do group or individual tasks, are these going to be practical or paperbased in nature?

Also google school experience programme, because you are doing maths which is a priority subject they will assign you an advisor who will be able to help you out.

I think that is enough for now and I hope it helps you out.

Lots of great advice there, thank you. I did a maths and computing degree and have been a web developer for the best part of my working life :smile:

I've been working in a school for a few years now making the decision on teaching. I'm hoping there may be future opportunities to teach some IT but my heart really is in teaching maths.

I haven't got any interviews yet. But throughout my whole career the interview process is my weakness :s I just get stupidly nervous. But i've been fortunate to have been supporting a few lessons which were teachers on their interview lessons and I've seen the nerves so it's not just me.
Yeah the interview process was a pain for me, thankfully their was alot of practical elements which allowed me to excel.

During both my work experience and interviews the common occurance of the lack of trained computer science teachers is evident, especially with the change in the ICT to Computing curriculum. Alot of the teachers lacked alot of experience with programming languages. This is understandable because its new to the curriculum.

One suggestion, when you have your interviews which I believe you will get. When they ask you a question pause and take a breath before answering, this shows that you are taking time to respond but also allows you time to understand and respond in a calm manner.
I can talk to anyone even complete strangers but 1 to 1 face to face interviews especially with the weight of importance on top even I have trouble.
Reply 45
Yeah the interview process was a pain for me, thankfully their was alot of practical elements which allowed me to excel.

During both my work experience and interviews the common occurance of the lack of trained computer science teachers is evident, especially with the change in the ICT to Computing curriculum. Alot of the teachers lacked alot of experience with programming languages. This is understandable because its new to the curriculum.

One suggestion, when you have your interviews which I believe you will get. When they ask you a question pause and take a breath before answering, this shows that you are taking time to respond but also allows you time to understand and respond in a calm manner.
I can talk to anyone even complete strangers but 1 to 1 face to face interviews especially with the weight of importance on top even I have trouble.

Good advice regarding take a breath :smile: Will remember that. If I get an interview.

Round here the lack of any ICT teachers is evident! It the school I work at a while to hire someone - mostly due to lack of applications!
Yeah here in Lincolnshire it was pretty obvious they were having a problem when I asked all of the providers about the number of computing PGCE applicants, at the time there was 12 places available and I was the only one this year to apply.

It did make me laugh really because when I was at uni I was 1 out of around 2-300 computing related graduates.

At least if it doesnt work out with maths you could go for computing.
For those of you applying for Primary PGCE via the School Direct route, how much school experience did you have, did you work as a TA beforehand? I've been offered (and accepted) a place and just a bit concerned I'll be disadvantaged by not having worked as a TA. I have about six weeks of experience in school and will have about another three weeks before September.
I had 2 days before my interviews but am now working as a TA until my course starts. So I will have about 6 months exp. It does help if you can get a few weeks solid exp. Im in my 4th week and have started taking some lessons and doing lots of 1-2-1s with SEN and EAL children.
Reply 49
I need to research a current educational issue as I will be asked to discuss this in my interview .I've applied for school direct English. Any tips on what will be the best topic to discuss and what people have previously discussed?
Original post by JamieInPompey
I had 2 days before my interviews but am now working as a TA until my course starts. So I will have about 6 months exp. It does help if you can get a few weeks solid exp. Im in my 4th week and have started taking some lessons and doing lots of 1-2-1s with SEN and EAL children.

Thanks for your response. Yeah, I went in every day for a month last academic year and, like you say, it was good to build up the stuff i was doing. I think i read in another thread about you getting the TA job offer at your interview, well done! :smile:
i discussed 3 different ones, the present recruitment and retainment crisis ongoing in todays schools, the introduction and implementation of the new computing curriculum and finally the workload situation.

Best thing to do is swing by your local newspaper shop, coop or tesco for example and get a copy of the tes magazine also check out their website by googling "Tes"
Well some good news in today, I finally got my University interview for the 11th of Feb, though to say I am nervous is an understatement. I need to pass it to have my conditional school direct offer become an unconditional offer. So a big weight of importance lingers over the result of the interview.

Has anybody else doing a school direct course done their uni interview?
Like I said before, don't worry about the uni interview too much! If the school want you that means a lot. My university interview was much more informal and less mentally taxing! :smile:

Well some good news in today, I finally got my University interview for the 11th of Feb, though to say I am nervous is an understatement. I need to pass it to have my conditional school direct offer become an unconditional offer. So a big weight of importance lingers over the result of the interview.

Original post by alymau
For those of you applying for Primary PGCE via the School Direct route, how much school experience did you have, did you work as a TA beforehand? I've been offered (and accepted) a place and just a bit concerned I'll be disadvantaged by not having worked as a TA. I have about six weeks of experience in school and will have about another three weeks before September.

I was offered a place on a primary course yesterday. I've had a lot of experience in secondary, as well as some in a nursery, but none in primary. They asked me to get a bit of primary experience before I start the course just so I'm sure it's what I definitely want to do! I don't think it'll put you at a disadvantage with regards to learning how to be a teacher, I think it's more that they want you to be sure that it's the right career for you and you really know what you're letting yourself in for
Is anyone else dreading the long wait between now and when you start in end of august/start of september?

Yes! I work full time in a completely unrelated field and I'm so excited to get started now. 7 months feels a long time! On the other hand it's nice to have so long to save money, do some background reading and preparation, have a final relaxing summer...

Hi,
I too have gravitated from the general PGCE thread. I had a uni interview before the school direct one. As the school direct placement links to the same uni, I was a bit worried if I stuffed it up. Actually, I felt more confident in the school interview having already got the uni place. Good luck on 11th Feb.
Original post by SophLamb
Yes! I work full time in a completely unrelated field and I'm so excited to get started now. 7 months feels a long time! On the other hand it's nice to have so long to save money, do some background reading and preparation, have a final relaxing summer...

Sweet! I'm changing careers and will be doing a SKE to get back up to speed with chemistry before Sept, and I'm looking forward to that as it's been a while since I studied it. Let's hope we have a good summer!
Original post by alymau

Hi, I've only had a couple of days in a school prior to interview but have got lots more planned. 9 weeks in total sounds like a good, solid amount (nearly a term's worth). I'm sure everyone will come with different levels of experience in September.
Original post by gizmodo
Hi, just introducing myself...I've only just applied (still waiting on references). I had planned to apply for sep 2017 but circumstances have changed meaning i can try for this year.

I'm applying for secondary maths. It feels that a lot of people are applying for primary. I'd love to hear from people who have had secondary interviews/had to prepare for a short lesson.

Hi,
At the secondary school direct interviews I didn't have to teach a class but was invited to spend time in lessons, I used that time to talk to the pupils and try and be helpful. I found the pupil panel interviews quite different - I'm not sure which is more challenging, the staff or the pupil panel. I've noticed some school direct interviews give you a really detailed breakdown of your assessment day and others don't, so make sure you know what else you'll be doing.

You'd be eligible for a premium plus (I think it is) advisor through the getintoteaching website - mine was really helpful with applications and interviews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending