The Student Room Group

Find the set of values for mod(x-5) < mod(3x-2)

So I have the correct answer.

But there are two intersects, and you get 4 possible x values in solving

x< -3/2 or x> 7/4

How am I supposed to fiugre out how to solve the x values (i.e. which ones do I choose).

I had to draw the graph, work out the intersect points - but surely I should know what I am looking for before hand?

i can upload my work if anoynoe wants, but since there are 4 possible x values how do i go about selecting the right ones in future

Scroll to see replies

Why not just put them all back in to the original equation?
Original post by Student403

there is that I suppose, can't believe I forgot to do that. But surely when solving these questions, people know where to make the bracket negative, if you know what I am saying.
Original post by Mihael_Keehl
there is that I suppose, can't believe I forgot to do that. But surely when solving these questions, people know where to make the bracket negative, if you know what I am saying.

No I seem to remember just plugging all in to the original or sketching the graph to see when I did C4
No I seem to remember just plugging all in to the original or sketching the graph to see when I did C4

I see. Thanks.
I see. Thanks.

You're welcome :h:

:spank: it is an inequality
Original post by the bear

kek just semantics haha

Haven't seen you trigger so much in a day!

kek just semantics haha

anyway... i always prefer to draw the graph first to see what is happening. as you say there are 2 intersections. we want the shallow V graph to lie below the steep V graph...
Haven't seen you trigger so much in a day!

anyway... i always prefer to draw the graph first to see what is happening. as you say there are 2 intersections. we want the shallow V graph to lie below the steep V graph...

I did do this.

But when you solve algreabraically for x there are 4 possible values which x satisfies, I wonder is there a way to know which ones to look for prior to actually working out the values.
I did do this.

But when you solve algreabraically for x there are 4 possible values which x satisfies, I wonder is there a way to know which ones to look for prior to actually working out the values.

i expect if you are genius you can figure it out... us lesser mortals need a pic :colondollar:
i expect if you are genius you can figure it out... us lesser mortals need a pic :colondollar:

ah okay thnx

FP2 Ineqx.jpg
ah okay thnx

FP2 Ineqx.jpg

Nice calculator :smile:
Nice calculator :smile:

lolz that one is fx-991DE Plus

Spoiler

lolz that one is fx-991DE Plus