The Student Room Group

How many A*/A GCSE needed for a Top 10 University?

How many A*/A grades do I need at GCSE so that there would still be a possibility of getting in a top 10 uni?
Honestly GCSE's don't matter 'that much' other than the core in english and maths usually. Unis only tend to look at them if you don't have great A-levels as a way of deciphering where your potential is.
However I guess with some colleges no longer offering AS levels they may have to start looking at them as they're not going to have much else to go off! I honestly don't think there is going to be a 'set number' and focusing on a 'top ten' university isn't really that helpful. Those universities might not do the course you want to do, they might be ranked best overall, but not for your subject. Honestly, at the minute, just focus on getting the best grades you can!
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Honestly GCSE's don't matter 'that much' other than the core in english and maths usually. Unis only tend to look at them if you don't have great A-levels as a way of deciphering where your potential is.
However I guess with some colleges no longer offering AS levels they may have to start looking at them as they're not going to have much else to go off! I honestly don't think there is going to be a 'set number' and focusing on a 'top ten' university isn't really that helpful. Those universities might not do the course you want to do, they might be ranked best overall, but not for your subject. Honestly, at the minute, just focus on getting the best grades you can!

Yeah I'm definitely trying to maximise my grades as much as possible. But hearing that I need at least, say, 5 A*s will probably cause me to panic and work even harder if uno what I mean
Original post by HamzahPatel
Yeah I'm definitely trying to maximise my grades as much as possible. But hearing that I need at least, say, 5 A*s will probably cause me to panic and work even harder if uno what I mean

Orrrr make you panic, make you ill, so you do worse :tongue:. Seriously, you have something to aim for, just try you absolute hardest! You can't do anything more than try your hardest, and if you can, then you're not trying your hardest in the first place :wink:
Reply 4
Reply 5
I would say even none might still be ok
Nah some would definitely be needed
Original post by HamzahPatel
How many A*/A grades do I need at GCSE so that there would still be a possibility of getting in a top 10 uni?

I have none and I have an offer from a top ten :smile:
I'd go as far to say you could get an offer from a top 5 with none although you'd possibly need extenuating circumstances, as I have (mentioned on my reference). I really think TSR massively overemphasises the importance of GCSE grades. You're not ****ed if you don't get 8 As at GCSE or whatever. Unis care far more about your A Levels or equivalent Level 3 qualifications... Even Durham said to me that they'd make me an offer with my GCSEs (three passes). The reason I don't have a Durham offer is that I didn't apply. Obviously it depends on the degree though, I didn't apply to study Medicine lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
You have to remember that the Russel Group aren't the top 10 anymore, and they are the only ones who care about GCSEs. As long as you get a C in maths and English, literally no one cares
Reply 11
The only uni's that really care are Oxbridge (most applicants have >5A*)
But I do think you need somewhat decent grades especially if you're going for a competitive course since they could use them to compare you with other candidates e.g. for econ you definitely need an A* in maths
on points basis (A* = 4points, A = 3points, B = 3points etc)
take your top 8 grades
count up the points
if they're above 28 all is good in the hood I reckckkoonn

although despite what people say I am fairly sure GCSEs last year and this year onwards are more important, since there's no more AS to base offers on.

Don't worry too much though, just do yer best
Despite what everyone else is saying, in the coming future top universities (Russell Group or not) are going to start looking at GCSE's as they did originally look at AS Levels but with the changing of both GCSE and A-Level systems, they're going to firstly look at your A-Level grades and then GCSE's. I would say A in maths and English, A/A* in the subjects you take for A-Level, then at least a B in everything else or a few C's and you should be good to go for a top of the top university. Yes, applicants to Oxbridge have 27 A*'s at GCSE, but I don't think that really matters if they didn't take the subject at A-Level, if it wasn't a core subject and if the subject wasn't deemed prestigious.

Quick Reply

Latest