The Student Room Group

Scared to apply for uni because of my GCSEs.

I want to do sociology and criminology at uni. Previously law but I didn’t do well enough in my mocks for the triple a predicted grades I needed. I’m sitting on predicted ABC and my top unis are Bristol and York which are the only Russell groups I may ( probably don’t lmao) have a chance in getting into as I’m eligible for a contextual offer of BBB. However my GCSEs are terrible and my teacher brought it up with me when discussing my ucas applications and I ignored it before because it makes me severely depressed thinking about it and wondering why they are poor. It isn’t much of an excuse but I struggle mentally now and especially the worst in year 11. I’m disappointed in myself I couldn’t push myself to achieve AAA which would help cover my terrible GCSEs but I didn’t and I’m scared no decent uni will accept me. My GCSEs were 333444456 the failed ones being in Spanish biology and physics. On top of this I don’t have much irl experience for the degree as I don’t know what I could do for it. I’ve watched documentaries and read books around the degree subject but that’s it. My overall badish predicted grades and my horrific GCSEs put me in such a bad predicament. Am I silly for still trying to applying to Russel groups? Do I have any chance a good uni would accept me? I guess my last option is clearing as I really don’t want to do a gap year but I wish I pushed myself harder in year 11 despite my struggles. My terrible GCSEs keep me up at night.
Original post by TTAva2000
I want to do sociology and criminology at uni. Previously law but I didn’t do well enough in my mocks for the triple a predicted grades I needed. I’m sitting on predicted ABC and my top unis are Bristol and York which are the only Russell groups I may ( probably don’t lmao) have a chance in getting into as I’m eligible for a contextual offer of BBB. However my GCSEs are terrible and my teacher brought it up with me when discussing my ucas applications and I ignored it before because it makes me severely depressed thinking about it and wondering why they are poor. It isn’t much of an excuse but I struggle mentally now and especially the worst in year 11. I’m disappointed in myself I couldn’t push myself to achieve AAA which would help cover my terrible GCSEs but I didn’t and I’m scared no decent uni will accept me. My GCSEs were 333444456 the failed ones being in Spanish biology and physics. On top of this I don’t have much irl experience for the degree as I don’t know what I could do for it. I’ve watched documentaries and read books around the degree subject but that’s it. My overall badish predicted grades and my horrific GCSEs put me in such a bad predicament. Am I silly for still trying to applying to Russel groups? Do I have any chance a good uni would accept me? I guess my last option is clearing as I really don’t want to do a gap year but I wish I pushed myself harder in year 11 despite my struggles. My terrible GCSEs keep me up at night.

Russel groups are nothing special, nor does ‘a good uni’ exist. Your university experience depends on how much you make use of it. You could go to a uni with lots of cool societies, and not do any of them.

For any degree you do, there is only one thing that matters - your grade of the degree. The university you went to means jack __.
For example https://www.derby.ac.uk/undergraduate/criminology-courses/criminology-bsc-hons/
You meet the A Level requirements as A Level BBB-BBC.
GCSE Maths and English Grade 4/Grade C (or above) or equivalent qualification

University is largely independent study. You have your lecturers, seminars, tutorials, textbooks… How would you define a good uni?

See https://www.whatuni.com/advice/clearing/entry-requirements-to-study-a-law-degree/92408/
https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/llb-law---hons/
minimum of grades BBC in three A levels (or a minimum of 112 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification, eg BTEC National, OCR Diploma or Advanced Diploma)
English Language GCSE at grade C/grade 4 or above (or equivalent)
You can do law at london metropolitan university
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Russel groups are nothing special, nor does ‘a good uni’ exist. The university you went to means jack __.

Why do people insist on spreading this perspective. Yes I get it that it's down to individual's experiences and that value can be found at any uni and it's not all about money etc.
But pretending like there is no difference is doing a disservice to people who are about to spend £50k+ getting into debt, don't you think they deserve to make a decision with their eyes open and based on the truth?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/315F/production/_98793621_graduate_earnings_640_v3-nc.png.webp
Original post by Laffer
Why do people insist on spreading this perspective. Yes I get it that it's down to individual's experiences and that value can be found at any uni and it's not all about money etc.
But pretending like there is no difference is doing a disservice to people who are about to spend £50k+ getting into debt, don't you think they deserve to make a decision with their eyes open and based on the truth?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/315F/production/_98793621_graduate_earnings_640_v3-nc.png.webp

The fact is that Russell Groups are not special. There are universities every bit as good as those within it. Places like St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster arent in it because they choose not to pay the fee to belong.

The Russell Group is a marketing body set up because a group of universities feared losing their lucrative research funding. Dont be a fool and fall for the RG hype.

In 2011 Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary belonged to the 1994 group with the likes of Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster etc. The first 4 paid to join the RG. The others didnt. Those that joined didnt get better and those that didnt join didnt get ant worse.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
The fact is that Russell Groups are not special. There are universities every bit as good as those within it. Places like St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster arent in it because they choose not to pay the fee to belong.

The Russell Group is a marketing body set up because a group of universities feared losing their lucrative research funding. Dont be a fool and fall for the RG hype.

In 2011 Durham, Exeter, York and Queen Mary belonged to the 1994 group with the likes of Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster etc. The first 4 paid to join the RG. The others didnt. Those that joined didnt get better and those that didnt join didnt get ant worse.

Did you even look at the chart I linked? It's irrelevant if there is an actual material difference in the education, there is a well documented and historic difference in outcomes for RG students. Of course there are other good unis, of course you don't need to go to a RG uni to be successful, but denying the reality of the situation is unfairly lying to those applying as they will spend the rest of their lives in debt to pay for it.
Original post by Laffer

This graph is 6 years old: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230 , so you should get some more recent data reflecting things post-pandemic.

Not to mention it doesn't even illustrate your point that well, as it's no surprise that Oxbridge and LSE are near the top, being target universities for investment banks. But also quite far along the curve are SGUL and RVC, neither of which are in the RG.

University may make a difference, but that does not imply membership in the RG does, as it spans a wide range of universities some with much more modest outcomes than you are making out.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
This graph is 6 years old: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-41693230 , so you should get some more recent data reflecting things post-pandemic.

Not to mention it doesn't even illustrate your point that well, as it's no surprise that Oxbridge and LSE are near the top, being target universities for investment banks. But also quite far along the curve are SGUL and RVC, neither of which are in the RG.

University may make a difference, but that does not imply membership in the RG does, as it spans a wide range of universities some with much more modest outcomes than you are making out.

The DfE hasn't updated the stats since, but if you want to believe that it's no longer representative then that's up to you. There is no reason why the trend from the last couple of decades would suddenly change post pandemic.
It illustrates my point perfectly well, all RG unis to the right, the fact that there are a couple of non RG unis to the right hardly invalidates the clear and obvious trend.
It's not fair to tell year 13s that unis don't matter and that they should get into a lifetime of debt for any uni because the university you go to is irrelevant. There are so many great alternative options including alternative qualifications or degree apprenticeships, that it's amoral to continue to pretend that it doesn't matter.
Original post by Laffer
The DfE hasn't updated the stats since, but if you want to believe that it's no longer representative then that's up to you. There is no reason why the trend from the last couple of decades would suddenly change post pandemic.
It illustrates my point perfectly well, all RG unis to the right, the fact that there are a couple of non RG unis to the right hardly invalidates the clear and obvious trend.
It's not fair to tell year 13s that unis don't matter and that they should get into a lifetime of debt for any uni because the university you go to is irrelevant. There are so many great alternative options including alternative qualifications or degree apprenticeships, that it's amoral to continue to pretend that it doesn't matter.

Look at this. The top earners are from Bayes which is a non RG group. Bath and Surrey are also in the top 10. Both non RG universities. Salaries largely occur dependent on the subject taken. London universities tend to get higher salaries. This is no surprise as London is more expensive to live. The problem with someone like you accepting the RG hype is that you look at the top London and Oxbridge universities and ignore that many RG universities dont have the same standard. Part of the reason Bath, Imperial and LSE come out so highly is that study science and social science degrees. Students taking other degrees dont get paid at the same rate as Medicine and Economics.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=e7ee92cffa0c9448JmltdHM9MTY5ODg4MzIwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTUzMA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=highest+earnings+for+university+leavers&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9zdGFuZG91dC1jdi5jb20vdWstZ3JhZHVhdGUtc3RhdGlzdGljcyM6fjp0ZXh0PU90aGVyJTIwc3R1ZGllcyUyMCU1QjMxJTVEJTIwb24lMjB1bml2ZXJzaXRpZXMlMjB3aXRoJTIwdGhlJTIwaGlnaGVzdCx0aGUlMjBVbml2ZXJzaXR5JTIwb2YlMjBDYW1icmlkZ2UlMjBpcyUyMCVDMiVBMzQ0JTJDMTkwLiUyME1vcmUlMjBpdGVtcw&ntb=1
Original post by Laffer

It lists exactly 3 RG unis which are well known to be outliers within the RG in terms of educational attainment and employment outcomes. You can't generalise the outcomes for those 3 to the rest of the RG, and the kind of thinking implying that you can is exactly what the other members of the RG capitalise on for marketing purposes.

Also the pandemic created a massive shift in the economy and that was compounded by the ongoing cost of living crisis. Do you think somehow company hiring practices haven't been affected by either of those and that they are all using the same practices that were being used from 2012-2017?

In any event there are plenty of non-RG unis with strong graduate outcomes across a variety of fields. Your steadfast belief in the elitist fantasy of RG superiority does not change that.

Original post by TTAva2000

In any event to address your query specifically, most universities do not consider GCSEs much beyond minimum requirements in English language and maths. As long as you have passed both with a 5 or above normally then you have no issues for the majority of courses and unis, including within the RG. If you don't have a 5 in English language and maths GCSE you should plan to resit to attain that, as it's also a common requirement for jobs since it's a national literacy and numeracy metric.
Original post by Laffer

Here is the CUG table of starting salaries for different courses which shows how you cannot compare science and technology universities with others..

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=05c064bb90c94a2eJmltdHM9MTY5ODg4MzIwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTIwNA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=student+starting+saleries+per+institution&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cudGhlY29tcGxldGV1bml2ZXJzaXR5Z3VpZGUuY28udWsvc3R1ZGVudC1hZHZpY2UvY2FyZWVycy93aGF0LWRvLWdyYWR1YXRlcy1kby1hbmQtZWFybg&ntb=1
Original post by Laffer

That proves nothing as there's no degree subject linked to it. I'll use it when I next teach misleading graphs
Reply 12
Just so much self denial, it's damaging the futures of people reading these forums.

"For both men and women it is clear that while there is considerable variation around this trend, the Russell Group dominates in terms of average earnings, with Pre-1992 universities generally also ranked quite highly, and Post-1992 and Other universities typically towards the bottom of the distribution."
https://purehost.bath.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/201925307/The_impact_of_undergraduate_degrees_on_early_career_earnings.pdf

"Our findings reveal a hierarchy of university degrees in terms of the chances of joining the top 5% of earners, once prior socio-economic and educational factors have been taken into account. OSSAH degrees from non-elite universities are at the bottom of this hierarchy, while LEM degrees are at the top."
https://bera-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/berj.3453
Original post by Laffer
Just so much self denial, it's damaging the futures of people reading these forums.

"For both men and women it is clear that while there is considerable variation around this trend, the Russell Group dominates in terms of average earnings, with Pre-1992 universities generally also ranked quite highly, and Post-1992 and Other universities typically towards the bottom of the distribution."
https://purehost.bath.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/201925307/The_impact_of_undergraduate_degrees_on_early_career_earnings.pdf

"Our findings reveal a hierarchy of university degrees in terms of the chances of joining the top 5% of earners, once prior socio-economic and educational factors have been taken into account. OSSAH degrees from non-elite universities are at the bottom of this hierarchy, while LEM degrees are at the top."
https://bera-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/berj.3453

"Pre-1992 universities generally also ranked quite highly"

Exactly pre 1992 non RG universities include Swansea, Aberystwyth, Bangor, Loughborough, Bath, Lancaster, Loughborough, Leicester, East Anglia, Reading, Royal Holloway and many more. There are a whole host of universities as good as RG universities. RG figures mislead due the top 1/2 dozen or so mainly Oxbridge and London universities.
It's also not necessarily a causal link.

If a perennial high achiever goes to what they think is a presitigous uni, and then does well afterwards, it's not necessarily that the uni gave them any competitive advantage.

I think this illustrates the importance of choosing a university based on its reputation in particular sectors / industries, rather than just the name behind it.

I don't know about some of the other pre 1992 Unis, but I know Loughborough doesn't qualify for Russel Group because of the School of Art and Design. However, when you look at the courses which make Loughborough what it is (e.g. Sports Science / Technology; Engineering disciplines; The Business School etc.), it's certainly up there with the very best in the country.

Besides, in the real world, no one really cares what university you went to once you've got a couple of years experience; it's only really on here where a big deal is made of it (and of course, ye ol' alumni :lol: ).
(edited 5 months ago)
The confirmation bias is very real.
I am not going to get into the whole debate about what is a good university but if you are considering doing sociology and criminology, have a look at Kent, their department is brilliant and the lecturers research output is fantastic. One of the best unis for these disciplines.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending