The Student Room Group

Had the Brits not migrated to America, would England have such high population as US?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
What's the reason for the first sentence?

To frame the response in reference to the original question.
Original post by Good bloke
No. It took, en masse, many of Britain's disadvantaged, as well as transported criminals and, significantly, its most entrenched superstitious people (Puritans and other non-conformists). The legacy for the USA can be seen in its (by western standards) high levels of religious adherence and superstitious belief leading to backward-thinking morality in areas such as abortion law.

The puritans in actuality only occupied a few colonies. Their relevance is limited to a symbolic one. The real legacy of America's evolution is of opportunists, gamblers, and rebels. The emigrants who truly shaped America's destiny risked everything with no guarantees. They counted on nothing but their own potential and resilience. Imagine an entire continent encumbered with a social system more focused on class than any of us today can truly appreciate. Now consider the amount of untapped potential that must have existed in a perpetual state of frustration. America's colonization and subsequent mass emigration exploited that potential. "Give me you poor, your tired your huddled masses" is a nice sentiment but it is not entirely honest. It actually should have been, "Give me your desperate, your ambitious, your defiant masses." The early emigrants to the United States were bold people. They often spent their life savings on the ticket. They depended on no entitlements. They uprooted their families and faced an uncertain future. They were motivated by available land and ample opportunity, and that belief was founded in the conviction that a chance is all they needed. That kind of courage, and determination is uncommon amongst the privileged citizenship of today's developed world, and I fear that their spirit is lost to us. It is a shame because their place in history is significant.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Might be a space thing, America is huge, if they had of stayed in the UK might not have been as much reproduction to scarcity of resources, I think it's a Malthusian thing.
The Plague broke out in the 1660s right so people may have travelled to try and avoid it. The famine, disease and poverty of the time was likely a big motivator. France, Holland and Spain are close so people may've been able to take refuge and build new lives there.
I don't think our population would be that high. We would've spread out still and as an island our resources wouldn't have supported such a growth. Important Wars and the development of the British Empire may have had different outcomes and there's no telling what effect this may've had on the population. We may've had a smaller more sustainable population. We may all speak in a different language and live in an internetless world without any technology or cars.

Fun fact, the black death still exists today with 1000-2000 cases reported each year :biggrin:
http://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/
Original post by oShahpo
Had the Brits not migrated to America, would we have had such a massive population as America?
I understand that not all Americans are from England, but those who are are estimated to be around 70 million. Would that mean the population of Britain would have risen to 130-140 million? I understand that population density and scarcity of resources puts a limit on population growth, but how much would the population have increased if the Brits never migrated to America do you reckon?

Well, the main reason why the US and Canada are doing far, far better than any other nations in The Americas, is due to England, and eventually the British Empire, encouraging huge amounts of their own people to settle over there and taking many Black slaves over there, whilst Portugal and Spain really only went there for gold and silver and took it all back home, while the British colonisers were using the land's resources to create long-lasting settlements there, like Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, North and South Carolina, Georgia, etc. (Not New York or Pennsylvania, though, as the European settlements there were made by the Dutch, not the English.)

If they didn't go, then England might have not become the British Empire it did become, maybe the French would've taken the stand instead, even though most of the colonisation they did in North America was trade posts, except for the city of Quebec and New Orleans, but they seem more likely than the Spanish or the Portuguese.
Reply 25
Original post by asmuse123
Well, the main reason why the US and Canada are doing far, far better than any other nations in The Americas, is due to England, and eventually the British Empire, encouraging huge amounts of their own people to settle over there and taking many Black slaves over there, whilst Portugal and Spain really only went there for gold and silver and took it all back home, while the British colonisers were using the land's resources to create long-lasting settlements there, like Virginia, Maryland, Massachusetts, North and South Carolina, Georgia, etc. (Not New York or Pennsylvania, though, as the European settlements there were made by the Dutch, not the English.)

If they didn't go, then England might have not become the British Empire it did become, maybe the French would've taken the stand instead, even though most of the colonisation they did in North America was trade posts, except for the city of Quebec and New Orleans, but they seem more likely than the Spanish or the Portuguese.

That's an interesting take on the issue.
It's not as linear as one might think. Perhaps, if there the Brits hadn't migrated to America, we could have lost WW2, and lost more people to the war, hence had an even smaller population.
Original post by ckingalt
The puritans in actuality only occupied a few colonies. Their relevance is limited to a symbolic one. The real legacy of America's evolution is of opportunists, gamblers, and rebels. The emigrants who truly shaped America's destiny risked everything with no guarantees. They counted on nothing but their own potential and resilience. Imagine an entire continent encumbered with a social system more focused on class than any of us today can truly appreciate. Now consider the amount of untapped potential that must have existed in a perpetual state of frustration. America's colonization and subsequent mass emigration exploited that potential. "Give me you poor, your tired your huddled masses" is a nice sentiment but it is not entirely honest. It actually should have been, "Give me your desperate, your ambitious, your defiant masses." The early emigrants to the United States were bold people. They often spent their life savings on the ticket. They depended on no entitlements. They uprooted their families and faced an uncertain future. They were motivated by available land and ample opportunity, and that belief was founded in the conviction that a chance is all they needed. That kind of courage, and determination is uncommon amongst the privileged citizenship of today's developed world, and I fear that their spirit is lost to us. It is a shame because their place in history is significant.

Well said mate. This is accurate and eloquent. I think of this or of pro-American sentiment to be the alternative to the "merica" crowd. It is a shame that no one responded yet. Nice post
Original post by Howard
The state with the highest % of English ancestry is, believe it or not, is Utah. I always found that an interesting fact.

Well English ancestry is underreported across the board in America compared with fifty years ago. English-Americans are the most likely to integrate and claim to just be 'American' or to claim a more 'exotic' heritage if of mixed ancestry.
I think Mormons are a noticeable exception, as a community they obviously keep pretty close so less mixed ancestry, and maybe due to the general hostility and ridicule they face from other Americans they claim their English ancestry more prominently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending