The Student Room Group

entropy change in ideal gas with increasing pressure

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the following problem. If possible a step by step walkthrough with final answer given would be much aappreciated as I have several of these type of questions to do so it would be hhelpful to know that id be doing them the right way!

Calculate the entropy change for an ideal gas with the iinitial state being; volume of h2 14.8L and pressure of 0.6atm at 35oC. The pressure is increased to 1.5atm at the same temp in the final state.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by krisa14
Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the following problem. If possible a step by step walkthrough with final answer given would be much aappreciated as I have several of these type of questions to do so it would be hhelpful to know that id be doing them the right way!

Calculate the entropy change for an ideal gas with the iinitial state being; volume of h2 14.8L and pressure of 0.6atm at 35oC. The pressure is increased to 1.5atm at the same temp in the final state.

Thank you :smile:

ΔS = ΔH/T - nRln{P2/P1}

and as there is no enthalpy change

ΔS = - nRln{P2/P1}
Charco's quite right but you can easily derive that formula with a Maxwell relation using dG = VdP - SdT and then use the ideal gas law

Quick Reply

Latest