The Student Room Group

How's English GCSE for everyone?

So, english is quite a hard subject for me and I wanted to ask how everyone else felt about it and what they're doing on it in terms of revision

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hard for me too! I have two As in my courseworks though! :smile:

For English Literature, I'm annotating poems, reading OMAM and LOTF again and making notes.

For English Language, I'm doing loads of past paper questions and reading a range of books and articles to pick up vocab etc.
I find English Language much easier than English Literature.
Original post by Mayhem™
I find English Language much easier than English Literature.

:five:

I'm actually surprised I got anything above a B for lang or lit in my last mocks.
Got an A in English in 2014. Course works were easy, you just use a wide range of vocabulary and loads of language feature e.g ACFOREST. For the exam you really can't revise for but plan heavily and be ahead of the game. You need to develop your writing to a high standard and do a few practice papers. Tbh english isn't even that hard.
I am literally the exact same as you xD same grades and revision techniquea
Original post by TheOtherSide.
:five:

I'm actually surprised I got anything above a B for lang or lit in my last mocks.

I got 37/50 in my Language mock which is an A(you can't get A* for my exam board in the exam)
Original post by Mayhem™
I got 37/50 in my Language mock which is an A(you can't get A* for my exam board in the exam)

Congrats! :woo:

Does that mean that you have to put more effort into your coursework to be able to get a high grade? :confused:
Congrats! :woo:

Does that mean that you have to put more effort into your coursework to be able to get a high grade? :confused:

I think you have to get an A in every component to be awarded A*
Original post by TheKillingTorch
So, english is quite a hard subject for me and I wanted to ask how everyone else felt about it and what they're doing on it in terms of revision

I'm not sure if I like English anymore. I was considering taking it for A Level along with Geography and Biology but now I'm thinking of switching it for Chemistry to keep my doors open for medicine.

I got A's in all coursework pieces (I think we did about 6 or maybe 8 right?) except in one Lit piece I got a B, which is alright I guess.

I'm doing OMAM and Jekyll and Hyde, and I actually quite like these novellas. It's just the exams I really struggle with. They're so awful and "wishy washy". The mocks were just torturous and we all came out of the exam confused. The questions don't make sense, and you don't have enough time to read through your answers so I lost so many marks on spag. Just awful. I have no idea how I ended up with an A and a B in the mocks...

I think I'm just gonna read the books over and over. We have time before the exams now, and lots of it, so I'm gonna try and utilise it productively, maybe making brief notes on each page of the two books. Also, I should probably go over the poems that I'll be tested on. I think for English it's not about revising, it's about knowing the text well... And then hoping a good question comes up in the exams lmao.

But I pretty much hate it now.

What exam board are you on? I'm Edexcel...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mayhem™

I think you have to get an A in every component to be awarded A*

Which must mean you're on track for that A*, right?
Which must mean you're on track for that A*, right?

Coursework components;

Writing(500-800 words);

Descriptive coursework; 37/40(First draft, A)
Persuasive coursework; 34/40(First draft, A)
Response to an article coursework; to be received from teacher.

Speaking and Listening(3-5 minutes);

Personal presentation; 10/10(A)
Paired discussion; 10/10(A)
Group discussion; to take place.
I did Literature last year in year 10 to not stress me with exams in 2016. I managed to get an A*. Of course, with a lot of plans and work. I was predicted A's through the whole year and just tried in revision which helped
Language in my opinion is much easier and I am more confident in it. Just revise technique. Writing is just technique.
I'm on AQA and I was gonna pick English at A level too but replaced it with Chemistry
Original post by Mayhem™
Coursework components;

Writing(500-800 words);

Descriptive coursework; 37/40(First draft, A)
Persuasive coursework; 34/40(First draft, A)
Response to an article coursework; to be received from teacher.

Speaking and Listening(3-5 minutes);

Personal presentation; 10/10(A)
Paired discussion; 10/10(A)
Group discussion; to take place.

Then you really don't have anything to worry about. Good luck on the rest of your revision, though!

Spoiler

Then you really don't have anything to worry about. Good luck on the rest of your revision, though!

don't hate, procrastinate :smug:
Original post by TheKillingTorch
I'm on AQA and I was gonna pick English at A level too but replaced it with Chemistry

Do you want to do medicine like me? Ew I just hate English now lmao.
Original post by Mayhem™

That's your signature motto, I've noticed :tongue:
Original post by Mayhem™

Basically my life right now :lol:
I wanna do physics and chemistry's another science so it'll help me :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest