The Student Room Group

Would my grades be competitive for Oxbridge?

I know GCSE is very early stage but was wondering if my GCSE grades would be competitive for Oxbrige if I did well at A level.
I got
All 9s in subjects I would probably pursue for uni. Tysm for any help
Original post by Wilsonian
I know GCSE is very early stage but was wondering if my GCSE grades would be competitive for Oxbrige if I did well at A level.
I got
All 9s in subjects I would probably pursue for uni. Tysm for any help

See "Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide.

You haven't mentioned the university to which you might apply. (Oxbridge is two universities. They don't always treat GCSEs the same.)

You haven't mentioned the type of school you attend, and how those GCSEs compare to others at your school. (GCSEs are considered in context. If you got all 8s but everyone else got all 7s, then you're clearly a very good student. If you got all 8s but everyone else got all 9s, then maybe not so much.)

You haven't mentioned the course which you would likely be applying to. (Some courses are much more competitive than others.)

You haven't mentioned which subjects you got your grades in. (If I'm pursuing a Computer Science course, which wouldn't logically require much in the way of English Language skills, a grade 6 in English Language might still be an issue - for example.)

I guess the point I'm making is that you can't just look at one jigsaw piece and hope to judge the merits of the whole puzzle.

Quick Reply

Latest