The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn AS Chemistry over 6 weeks and get an A?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kflexman
That's fine I'm happy to help 😊

2hrs a day for twelve weeks works out at 168 hours in total (assuming no rest days which to me seems a bit intense). I just tried estimating how many hours I spent on Chemistry last year (class time and homework) and my (slightly inaccurate) calculation came out as 160 hours in total, so it actually seems legitimate for you to do that.

Also, perhaps you'll have less time wasted as in my lessons at school we tend to procrastinate quite a bit! (The teacher's very relaxed)

We started with the physical chemistry unit, which I would recommend because it explains concepts that the rest of Chemistry builds on. Then we started Organic Chemistry afterwards. What exam board are you going to study? Also what other subjects do you do?(Just curious) - Maths is a big help to Chemistry.

If you ever need to ask for help with Chemistry feel free to PM me and I can try to help

Thanks. I guess I'll start today! Half of the stuff isn't exactly from scratch, just the organic really. OCR :smile: What methods did you use to learn all the stuff? And is the CGP book okay? And when did you start doing past papers? Sorry for so many Qs. I take Bio Phy and Maths also which I'm doing well in atm.
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not sure about the new course, but if it's anything like the old course then you'd be pushing it, particularly if it's from scratch. Chemistry requires a lot of time and understanding to do well in.

Having said that, there's no reason not to try, and if you use those 2 hours a day really well (and possible increase that if necessary, particularly on weekends) then it's not impossible.

Thank you, it's not totally from scratch so hopefully will be okay, what methods did you use to learn it all?
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Firstly, after doing some research here, just get of TSR and get on with the work!:smile: It can get distracting sometimes.
Remember, if you revise the two hours properly and increase it on weekends, you should be fine, it is very much do-able.
Good luck!

Original post by DeadEnd_96
YES :smile:

cheers :smile:
Original post by therealdonny
Thank you, it's not totally from scratch so hopefully will be okay, what methods did you use to learn it all?

I used a revision guide to help me learn stuff first - made notes from that, did the questions in it and then went back to the textbook to practice questions and fill in any gaps, and then do past papers under exam conditions and mark harshly.

I'm not sure how useful that is as the old revision guide might not be helpful for the new spec, and there may or may not be a revision guide out for the new spec anyway.
Thanks. I guess I'll start today! Half of the stuff isn't exactly from scratch, just the organic really. OCR :smile: What methods did you use to learn all the stuff? And is the CGP book okay? And when did you start doing past papers? Sorry for so many Qs. I take Bio Phy and Maths also which I'm doing well in atm.

Okay yeah Bio Physics and Maths will definitely help. I used the OCR and Heinemann textbook which was really good, but all of them probably have the same stuff in them.
There's quite a bit of physical that is new from GCSE eg the building up principle of atomic orbitals, bond angles and electronegativity, but it's not that difficult.

Good luck!!
Original post by Pigster
A lot depends on which GCSE you did:

OCR 21st Century - you'd have no hope.
One of the IGCSE - very likely.

OCR Gateway so covered moles and all that stuff unlike 21st century

What has GCSE got to do with it? lol

The very basics are covered in the first few chapters. All you learned at GCSE was super simplified models of what you were gonna learn at A level that weren't probably all that true.
Original post by High Stakes
Good. But I'm placing a lot of stress on myself because I'm aiming for >95%'s. I'm literally gonna hop off in a minute or so since I study from 9:30 to about 1 and then take a break. I pick up again from 3 till later on.

I've been also trying to wake up earlier each day. Woke up at 8 yesterday, 7 today and hopefully 6 tomorrow. So I can start earlier.

How about you? Finding it good?

That's a very nice schedule you have, but I don't think I could be waking up earlier! I need A LOT of sleep. Having a two hour break though sounds like a good idea though.

Half-term has been a mixed bag so far. I enjoy doing maths and biology revision, but hate revision for my essay subjects. I need to do politics and history revision, yet I have no real urge to do it just yet.

If I go to St Andrews for their open day in March, I'm sure that'll kick me up the ars*.
Original post by jamestg
That's a very nice schedule you have, but I don't think I could be waking up earlier! I need A LOT of sleep. Having a two hour break though sounds like a good idea though.

Half-term has been a mixed bag so far. I enjoy doing maths and biology revision, but hate revision for my essay subjects. I need to do politics and history revision, yet I have no real urge to do it just yet.

If I go to St Andrews for their open day in March, I'm sure that'll kick me up the ars*.

Thanks! And don't worry, you'll do fine if you put in the work.

My tip would be to map out a set of goals each week. For instance this week I need to finish Unit 4 and 5 of Chemistry in terms of revision and complete at least 4 c3 and 4 c4 papers. Then next week I'm doing Chem papers alongside the maths papers whilst also revising my essay subject (Economics).

I've never been a fan of the daily schedule. It works for some people who like to have everything planned out and ready instead of having to think about what needs to be revised. I just set myself a minimum number of topics/tasks I want to cover and work towards it.

Tbh I have a similar feeling towards my essay subjects. I enjoy Economics but the past papers are long (2x 25 and a 35 marker essay).

Are you AS or A2?
Possible? Yes. Easy? No. I went from G predicted in my mock to B in my final just a month later but it was hell. You'd need to study at least 4 or 5 hours a day
Original post by High Stakes
What has GCSE got to do with it? lol

The very basics are covered in the first few chapters. All you learned at GCSE was super simplified models of what you were gonna learn at A level that weren't probably all that true.

People who do C21 don't even study moles.

People who do CIE IGCSE do the structures of polyamides vs polyesters (what was A2 for most).

My point was, the more work you'd covered at GCSE the easier it would be to study AS in six weeks.
Original post by Pigster
A lot depends on which GCSE you did:

OCR 21st Century - you'd have no hope.
One of the IGCSE - very likely.

Actually ocr 21st century is very good, other than the fact that it doesn't cover moles
Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not I got 2 Bs and dtatrsted revisising since December although I was getting Es till February
Thanks for responses. How about 11 weeks?
Original post by richpanda
Actually ocr 21st century is very good, other than the fact that it doesn't cover moles

Having taught it for five years, I'd disagree, it really don't prepare students for A-level, not even OCR A-level. I didn't think that much of Gateway either, especially the section on the spec about paint drying, with recommended practical of guess what?

That is compared to AQA or any of the IGCSEs. I don't know much about Edexcel.
Original post by Pigster
Having taught it for five years, I'd disagree, it really don't prepare students for A-level, not even OCR A-level. I didn't think that much of Gateway either, especially the section on the spec about paint drying, with recommended practical of guess what?

That is compared to AQA or any of the IGCSEs. I don't know much about Edexcel.

Paint drying? Seriously? Now that is quite a sobering reality on how poor the education is here.

---
OT: Still, even if someone didn't do a GCSE, they can easily learn the basics covered in the first few chapters. In fact I find the A2 and deeper stuff a lot easier once you have a solid grounding in the foundation!
Reply 36
Yeah I did it so I'm sure you can too.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by HAnwar
Yeah I did it so I'm sure you can too.
Good luck :smile:

How many hours a day did you do??
Reply 38
How many hours a day did you do??

Learning the content or revision?
I finished the content in just over 2 months. Revision was inconsistent, can't remember much but I think I did 2 hours 4 times a week.
Reply 39
Doing about 2 hours a day?

Yeah, I did a day per unit and got an A. Not amazing UMS aside from unit 2 though so 2 hours a day for six weeks should be more than enough to get 90+UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest