The Student Room Group

Best route for IB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Princepieman
He's BSing to make himself feel better about only getting a 2:1. Fact is, you don't need a 1st at all and especially not from the rest of the target universities (Warwick/UCL/LSE/Imperial). Your brother's friend needs to bring down his ego if he wants to do well at GS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He got a first. He is literally the most clever guy I've met and has huge potential. I will send you a link to his linkedin and you will be amazed! I know for a fact he got 83% in his second year exams. I think he also got 100% in FM which is a massive feat.
Original post by ImTooSmart
He got a first. He is literally the most clever guy I've met and has huge potential. I will send you a link to his linkedin and you will be amazed! I know for a fact he got 83% in his second year exams. I think he also got 100% in FM which is a massive feat.

That's great, but he still needs bring down his ego. To say that you need a first at any of the non-Oxbridge targets/semi-targets is a pretty massive lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
That's great, but he still needs bring down his ego. To say that you need a first at any of the non-Oxbridge targets/semi-targets is a pretty massive lie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure man, I heard IB is all about ego bullying, and if that what drives him then there's no stopping him now.
Goddamn those grades...
Hello guys,

I'm a year 13 student (and new to TSR here :smile: ) and was wondering if any of you lot could help me decide which course was best for getting into a top IB.

I have recieved offers from:
Cambridge: Mathematics
LSE: Mathematics and Economics
Imperial: Mathematics and Statistics for Finance
UCL : Economics with a year abroad
Bristol: Economics and Mathematics.

I've already got an A* in Maths and also achieved another 6A's at AS-level (Further Maths (99%), Physics (94%), Economics (100%), English Literature (88%), Music (91%), History (90%). I am dropping English Lit and so will be predicted 5A*s on top of Maths.

I was just wondering would IB's reject me if I don't come from a specific uni (reading on here some people seem to think that if you don't go to one of the target schools you've got a slim chance). This is because Bristol have offered me a full scholarship (of tuition fees ) for all three years of study!

Would love to hear you're guys thoughts

X.

I think there are a few things that you should consider. The first is which course you would rather do. There are significant differences between the 5 courses you have listed, and you are going to be studying it for the next three years.

Do you want to be mathematically challenged on possibly the most rigorous undergraduate maths course in the country (and certainly up there globally). This is obviously not for everyone, and I do suggest giving it serious consideration - maths at Cambridge will not be easy, and I think applicants can seriously underestimate how that will affect them, and not always positively. On the other hand it may provide an experience none of the others can (academically and otherwise). The others all focus on other areas - are you much more interested in these?

Second, there is more to life than "prestigious career", and in three years time your mind may have changed. Be open to this possibility, and don't just choose because one course increases your chances at it. All of those universities will provide opportunities for a competitive application, though you may have a slightly easier time of it at some of them. It's not the most important thing.

Third, on the subject of a scholarship. Make sure you understand how student debt repayment works before making your decision. It is more a tax (9% above 21,000, until repayment for current applicants I believe) than it is debt, and is written off after 30 years. Consider what the extra money may or may not mean to you, especially if you expect to have a high salary. Also bear in mind that you will probably still be taking on some student debt at Bristol, for maintenance.
Reply 25
Original post by throwawaycon
I think there are a few things that you should consider. The first is which course you would rather do. There are significant differences between the 5 courses you have listed, and you are going to be studying it for the next three years.

Do you want to be mathematically challenged on possibly the most rigorous undergraduate maths course in the country (and certainly up there globally). This is obviously not for everyone, and I do suggest giving it serious consideration - maths at Cambridge will not be easy, and I think applicants can seriously underestimate how that will affect them, and not always positively. On the other hand it may provide an experience none of the others can (academically and otherwise). The others all focus on other areas - are you much more interested in these?

Second, there is more to life than "prestigious career", and in three years time your mind may have changed. Be open to this possibility, and don't just choose because one course increases your chances at it. All of those universities will provide opportunities for a competitive application, though you may have a slightly easier time of it at some of them. It's not the most important thing.

Third, on the subject of a scholarship. Make sure you understand how student debt repayment works before making your decision. It is more a tax (9% above 21,000, until repayment for current applicants I believe) than it is debt, and is written off after 30 years. Consider what the extra money may or may not mean to you, especially if you expect to have a high salary. Also bear in mind that you will probably still be taking on some student debt at Bristol, for maintenance.

Wow quite a good reply!

I have looked at all career choices and the only thing that really tingles my taste buds is maybe joining a start up
You're being a dickwad now, stop with the mindless elitism. That's an insult to many of the people I know at Bristol with FO offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously you can make it into FO from Bristol but its ****ing hard, and I absolutely guarantee you that the Big 4 is the largest destination for Bristol graduates.
Again, you're speaking ********.

Posted from TSR Mobile

?? About what?

Student debt is not real debt in any way.. do you disagree with that? (it's a graduate tax)

And if he does Maths at Cambridge he could literally do any PhD in any Scientific discipline anywhere in the country. At Bristol it would be a real struggle to get a PhD and Oxbridge from there.

The maths content isn't sufficient in a joint honours Bristol course to allow you to go and do something sciency/quantitative.
I've heard this from many people but don't you think if I had amazing academics/good EC's I would be spotted.I don't mind going into Big 4 but I've just been told IB is better and more competitive hence why I wanna go for that

You *might* be spotted - I am sure you would get a few interviews but it would be relying on luck to some extent, whereas Cambridge/Imperial it would be all done to your ability as you would be guaranteed interviews.

Big 4 is a fine career but if you think of the earnings differential between IB and Big 4, your student debt would be wiped out in year one - 1st year IB analysts earn approximately 80k total comp whereas big 4 is 30-40k. The difference only gets larger after that.
Original post by Sabster
You *might* be spotted - I am sure you would get a few interviews but it would be relying on luck to some extent, whereas Cambridge/Imperial it would be all done to your ability as you would be guaranteed interviews.

Big 4 is a fine career but if you think of the earnings differential between IB and Big 4, your student debt would be wiped out in year one - 1st year IB analysts earn approximately 80k total comp whereas big 4 is 30-40k. The difference only gets larger after that.

not true kind gentlemen
Original post by Sabster
?? About what?

Student debt is not real debt in any way.. do you disagree with that? (it's a graduate tax)

And if he does Maths at Cambridge he could literally do any PhD in any Scientific discipline anywhere in the country. At Bristol it would be a real struggle to get a PhD and Oxbridge from there.

The maths content isn't sufficient in a joint honours Bristol course to allow you to go and do something sciency/quantitative.

You literally said: 'none of which Bristol could give him'. When I have tonnes of counter examples in my head of people I know who've gone on to do exactly the things you've listed out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Hey guys didn't really want to start a war on here but just to let you know I am probably going to firm Cambridge! Good luck to all of you in the future whatever career path you take!
Hey guys didn't really want to start a war on here but just to let you know I am probably going to firm Cambridge! Good luck to all of you in the future whatever career path you take!

good decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending