The Student Room Group

Medicine in the UK - a levels or IB?

Hi, i am 16 and i have just got my GCSE results which gives me the option to study in either an IB school or an A level school. I want to do medicine however i am conflicted on which course to do for the next two years. Anyone who has done either and got into medicine could you let me know of your experiences? Thanks.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by AditiBanavali
Hi, i am 16 and i have just got my GCSE results which gives me the option to study in either an IB school or an A level school. I want to do medicine however i am conflicted on which course to do for the next two years. Anyone who has done either and got into medicine could you let me know of your experiences? Thanks.

Either are fine - UK Unis do not prefer one over the other.
Just make sure that you choose the right A level or HL subjects.
You can get in with either! A-Level seems to be the more standard route but you can definitely do it with IB. Hopefully @IBkidinthecorner will be able to tell you about his her (sorry!) experiences!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4

Hi, I did a levels (bio, chem, maths, DT) and got into Edinburgh medicine this year. I think it's the more common route if you want to study in the UK. With a levels I think you're more likely to get a nice contextual offer if you're eligible for them, though I think IB results are less likely to fluctuate year by year (I'm sure you heard about the lowered alevel results this year). You are however competing against lots of VERY academically smart international students with IB, so it may be harder to get the top scores. I didn't do IB so do you're research, but I heard some bad opinions about them because I think there's some coursework / essay / longer project with IB which lots of students struggle with in terms of timing and end up rushing it. So it depends how you are with organising your time. Sixth forms that do a levels tend to be more structured in that if you stay on top of what you're learning, you're good, which may not be the case with IB. As long as you do chemistry and either maths or biology alevels, you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. So I may be biased, but I'd pick a levels again (though I know time management and organisation skills are not exactly my strengths😂). Hope that helps and good luck whatever you do:smile:

As above, there is no preference between the two. Just pick whichever one you think you'll do better in.
Original post by Scotland Yard
You can get in with either! A-Level seems to be the more standard route but you can definitely do it with IB. Hopefully @IBkidinthecorner will be able to tell you about his experiences!

Thanks for the tag! I’m a girl tho haha.
OP, I studied the IB (HL Bio, Chem, English Lit, SL French B, Maths, Economics) and am now a second year medical student at KCL. In terms of getting a place, there’s no real difference. The one thing to consider is that conditional offers are based off three subjects for A-Levels (normally AAA) but all six for the IB (666 at HL (A-Level equivalent subjects) plus an overall score, normally 36). When choosing between them, think about whether you’d enjoy studying three subjects in potentially greater depth or six in greater breadth. Personally I really liked the IB qualification. Feel free to ask me any questions about it :smile:
Original post by IBkidinthecorner

Whoops. Sorry! :colondollar: I remembered you from the 2022 entry medicine threads, glad you got into KCL!
Whoops. Sorry! :colondollar: I remembered you from the 2022 entry medicine threads, glad you got into KCL!

Haha no worries! Thanks, I was so relieved to get that offer 😂 Hope all’s well with you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by jul.jul
Hi, I did a levels (bio, chem, maths, DT) and got into Edinburgh medicine this year. I think it's the more common route if you want to study in the UK. With a levels I think you're more likely to get a nice contextual offer if you're eligible for them, though I think IB results are less likely to fluctuate year by year (I'm sure you heard about the lowered alevel results this year). You are however competing against lots of VERY academically smart international students with IB, so it may be harder to get the top scores. I didn't do IB so do you're research, but I heard some bad opinions about them because I think there's some coursework / essay / longer project with IB which lots of students struggle with in terms of timing and end up rushing it. So it depends how you are with organising your time. Sixth forms that do a levels tend to be more structured in that if you stay on top of what you're learning, you're good, which may not be the case with IB. As long as you do chemistry and either maths or biology alevels, you have a good chance of getting in somewhere. So I may be biased, but I'd pick a levels again (though I know time management and organisation skills are not exactly my strengths😂). Hope that helps and good luck whatever you do:smile:

Congrats! Yeah i am not the best at time management either.. so i see your point. Thank you
OP, I studied the IB (HL Bio, Chem, English Lit, SL French B, Maths, Economics) and am now a second year medical student at KCL. In terms of getting a place, there’s no real difference. The one thing to consider is that conditional offers are based off three subjects for A-Levels (normally AAA) but all six for the IB (666 at HL (A-Level equivalent subjects) plus an overall score, normally 36). When choosing between them, think about whether you’d enjoy studying three subjects in potentially greater depth or six in greater breadth. Personally I really liked the IB qualification. Feel free to ask me any questions about it :smile:

Did you feel like you were doing an extra workload compared to other medicine students doing a levels?
You can get in with either! A-Level seems to be the more standard route but you can definitely do it with IB. Hopefully @IBkidinthecorner will be able to tell you about his her (sorry!) experiences!

thanks!
Did you feel like you were doing an extra workload compared to other medicine students doing a levels?

Difficult to say really as I was at a pure IB school so didn’t get much chance to compare. Speaking to A-Level graduates at uni, most of them seem to think IB is more full on due to the extra subjects and intense Internal Assessments, but I’d go for the course that you think you’d enjoy more. Personally I cherished being able to study subjects like French and Maths alongside my main three subjects
Difficult to say really as I was at a pure IB school so didn’t get much chance to compare. Speaking to A-Level graduates at uni, most of them seem to think IB is more full on due to the extra subjects and intense Internal Assessments, but I’d go for the course that you think you’d enjoy more. Personally I cherished being able to study subjects like French and Maths alongside my main three subjects

Hey, I came from a school where both A levels and IB were offered. My IB friends who went on to do medicine regretted not taking the A levels. The workload is truly heavier and the added pressure is not necessary. A levels actually go more in depth in subjects like Chemistry and Biology compared to HL in IB which I think may be an advantage to you. CAS is another huge commitment in IB along with IAs and EEs. In A levels you will focus on subjects that will really matter in your med application and with this you can instead take on the EPQ (similar to an IA) which many A level med applicants have found to be beneficial for their interviews, personal statement etc. In addition to this, med applicants have to undergo the entrance tests (UCAT/BMAT) which is added pressure. You still have predicted grades to think about and also additional work experience. Keep in mind IB exams all happen in the same month of May whereas A levels is more spread out. As an incoming med student at QMUL, I feel the A levels would be a better option for you. Hope this helps!
Original post by Tulipbloom
Hey, I came from a school where both A levels and IB were offered. My IB friends who went on to do medicine regretted not taking the A levels. The workload is truly heavier and the added pressure is not necessary. A levels actually go more in depth in subjects like Chemistry and Biology compared to HL in IB which I think may be an advantage to you. CAS is another huge commitment in IB along with IAs and EEs. In A levels you will focus on subjects that will really matter in your med application and with this you can instead take on the EPQ (similar to an IA) which many A level med applicants have found to be beneficial for their interviews, personal statement etc. In addition to this, med applicants have to undergo the entrance tests (UCAT/BMAT) which is added pressure. You still have predicted grades to think about and also additional work experience. Keep in mind IB exams all happen in the same month of May whereas A levels is more spread out. As an incoming med student at QMUL, I feel the A levels would be a better option for you. Hope this helps!

I don’t think this was meant for me ahaha I’m already a second year medic, but good advice for @AditiBanavali. I hope you have a great time at QMUL!
I don’t think this was meant for me ahaha I’m already a second year medic, but good advice for @AditiBanavali. I hope you have a great time at QMUL!

Hahaha yeah and thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending