The Student Room Group

Integration Help

How to integrate sin(6x)cos(9x)??
Original post by mil88

Have you covered complex integration yet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Calzs34
Have you covered integration by parts yet?

Yes I have but firstly, I believe that by parts will not solve it as when you differentiate the trig function, you end up with another.
Original post by mil88

Try using one of these product to sum formulae
Original post by kingaaran
Try using one of these product to sum formulae

Ok thanks, btw are they on the formula sheet (how did you find out about them?)
Original post by mil88
Yes I have but firstly, I believe that by parts will not solve it as when you differentiate the trig function, you end up with another.

Sorry, you're right - parts wouldn't work as you'll end up with a cycle of trig functions I edited it, you're supposed to use the equations as above stated by KingAaran.
Original post by mil88
Ok thanks, btw are they on the formula sheet (how did you find out about them?)

They are on the formula sheet :smile: It is usually quite helpful in such cases, because you can split the integral into one involving sin(ax) and one involving cos(bx) which makes it relatively simplistic after!
Parts would work:
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\displaystyle[br]\begin{align*} I &= \int \sin6x\cos9xdx\\&= g(x) - a\int\cos6x\sin9xdx\\&= g(x) - a\left( h(x) - b\int \sin6x\cos9xdx\right )\\&= g(x) - a\left( h(x) - bI\right)\\\end{align*}[br]

Solve for II
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
They are on the formula sheet :smile: It is usually quite helpful in such cases, because you can split the integral into one involving sin(ax) and one involving cos(bx) which makes it relatively simplistic after!

Indeed.
Reply 9
Original post by MathsAndChess
Parts would work:

But very overkill! :tongue:
Original post by MathsAndChess
Parts would work:
Unparseable latex formula:

[br]\displaystyle[center]\begin{align*} I &= \int \sin6x\cos9xdx\\&= g(x) - a\int\cos6x\sin9xdx\\&= g(x) - a\left( h(x) - b\int \sin6x\cos9xdx\right )\\&= g(x) - a\left( h(x) - bI\right)\\\end{align*}[/center]

Ok thanks!
Original post by Zacken
But very overkill! :tongue:

Indeeeeeed my man holding a trophy over his head :wink:
Overkill is the way to do it man..

Quick Reply

Latest