The Student Room Group

Sympathetic nervous system

On Edexcel textbook p.157, it says "During exercise, fewer impulses are sent along sympathetic nerves to many blood vessels, causing them to contract and narrow. So blood flow is diverted from temporarily less important areas (digestive system) to provide more blood for the heart and the muscles to use"

So is sympathetic nerve responsible for vasodilation?
But I know that it is parasympathetic system that is responsible for vasodilation of carotid artery...
You can't say the sympathetic nervous system is responsible for systemic vasoconstriction. Blood flow is restricted to some areas such as the GI tract but increased to other e.g. your legs muscles (if you're trying to run away from a lion).

I hope I helped! :smile:
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
You can't say the sympathetic nervous system is responsible for systemic vasoconstriction. Blood flow is restricted to some areas such as the GI tract but increased to other e.g. your legs muscles (if you're trying to run away from a lion).

I hope I helped! :smile:

In other words, sympathetic system helps dilate blood vessels in skeletal muscle but constrict blood vessels in gastrointestinal organs? :biggrin:
Original post by mystreet091234
In other words, sympathetic system helps dilate blood vessels in skeletal muscle but constrict blood vessels in gastrointestinal organs? :biggrin:

Yes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending