The Student Room Group

Is anyone able to mark my AQA GCSE essay on a Christmas carol?

Hi so I have a problem my school is a bit **** ngl and we haven’t had a qualified English teacher since September 2022. I was previously achieving grades 6s and 7s but I recently received an essay back and got 16/30 which is a grade 4 and now my target has dropped to a 6 when I was previously achieving 6s and 7s I’m a bit shocked as why this has happened and because I don’t have an actual English teacher I’m a bit lost. If anyone is able to mark it and give me some feedback I was greatly appreciate it as I would like to get an answer back from anyone but that one teacher. The question was a AQA English literature paper 1 30 mark question on a Christmas carol.

Question: dickens presentation of ebenezer Scrooge makes him an unsympathetic character.

Throughout the full novella dickens utilises Scrooge in order to illustrate how self-centred and unsympathetic Scrooge is. At first he could possibly be the rudest and most horrible man to have ever walked the planet. But is shown later in the novel even people with the most negative personalitys can flourish into a wonderful person. This is done to share the Victorian audience that they need to seek redemption and help people.

In the extract, Scrooge is presented as a cold-hearted miser. You can see this in the “oh! but he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge! A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching , covetous old sinner!” The verbs used are all linked by the hand, this shows how tightly held onto things, which could be his money which refused to give away to the charity man showing once again that he is in a sympathetic character. The negative verbs all have a pessimistic view and lack of kindness like Scrooge. In addition, the overuse of exclamation marks could give us a greater inside at the disgust of him.

Towards the middle of the novel scrooge is starting to transform as he realises what he was doing before was wrong. You can see this when the ghost says “are there no prisons?” are there no workhouses?” The ghost of his Christmas present remind Scrooge of his sympathetic words which flipped the switch in Scrooge. Dickens is now showing us Scrooge has begun to change and is ashamed of having said it.

At the end of the novel scrooge has changed into a philanthropic and sympathetic person this is shown in the quote “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as quiet as a baby” This shows Scrooge has completely changed his view and how sympathetic he is by using a simile. There is a real contrast between heavy, large and unsympathetic language used in the first stave versus the light, slim and sympathetic language used in the last stave, this contrast almost frees the reader for feeling trapped in a doom and gloom.

In conclusion Scrooges unsympatheticness shows how greedy he used to be and shows how pessimistic he was. It shows how unsympathetic he was to the people in the horrible workhouse conditions and refused to help them.

Thank you so much for taking the time do read this.
Original post by NataliaWalker
Hi so I have a problem my school is a bit **** ngl and we haven’t had a qualified English teacher since September 2022. I was previously achieving grades 6s and 7s but I recently received an essay back and got 16/30 which is a grade 4 and now my target has dropped to a 6 when I was previously achieving 6s and 7s I’m a bit shocked as why this has happened and because I don’t have an actual English teacher I’m a bit lost. If anyone is able to mark it and give me some feedback I was greatly appreciate it as I would like to get an answer back from anyone but that one teacher. The question was a AQA English literature paper 1 30 mark question on a Christmas carol.

Question: dickens presentation of ebenezer Scrooge makes him an unsympathetic character.

Throughout the full novella dickens utilises Scrooge in order to illustrate how self-centred and unsympathetic Scrooge is. At first he could possibly be the rudest and most horrible man to have ever walked the planet. But is shown later in the novel even people with the most negative personalitys can flourish into a wonderful person. This is done to share the Victorian audience that they need to seek redemption and help people.

In the extract, Scrooge is presented as a cold-hearted miser. You can see this in the “oh! but he was a tight-fisted hand at the grindstone, Scrooge! A squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching , covetous old sinner!” The verbs used are all linked by the hand, this shows how tightly held onto things, which could be his money which refused to give away to the charity man showing once again that he is in a sympathetic character. The negative verbs all have a pessimistic view and lack of kindness like Scrooge. In addition, the overuse of exclamation marks could give us a greater inside at the disgust of him.

Towards the middle of the novel scrooge is starting to transform as he realises what he was doing before was wrong. You can see this when the ghost says “are there no prisons?” are there no workhouses?” The ghost of his Christmas present remind Scrooge of his sympathetic words which flipped the switch in Scrooge. Dickens is now showing us Scrooge has begun to change and is ashamed of having said it.

At the end of the novel scrooge has changed into a philanthropic and sympathetic person this is shown in the quote “I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as quiet as a baby” This shows Scrooge has completely changed his view and how sympathetic he is by using a simile. There is a real contrast between heavy, large and unsympathetic language used in the first stave versus the light, slim and sympathetic language used in the last stave, this contrast almost frees the reader for feeling trapped in a doom and gloom.

In conclusion Scrooges unsympatheticness shows how greedy he used to be and shows how pessimistic he was. It shows how unsympathetic he was to the people in the horrible workhouse conditions and refused to help them.

Hi!

Sorry to hear about your situation at school!

Here is my feedback:

- Intro is quite basic. You have attempted to include context which is nice, but you should expand on it. Avoid 'most horrible', it sounds childish. Instead try something like: "Dickens presents Scrooge as a selfish and unpleasant man who undergoes a radical transformation into a kind, charitable one."

- Use a shorter quote, or at least break it up throughout the paragraph.

- Nice analysis. Proofread - you say "sympathetic" where I presume you mean "unsympathetic".

- Middle paragraph is very short. You have no close analysis or context it in.

- Nice terms used in the last paragraph and good spot of the technique, similies.

- You are overusing sympathetic. Use synonyms.

- Conclusion is weak. What is Dickens trying to do? Why did he make Scrooge like this?

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I'd rather say it now than you find out on results day.

The key thing I would work on is your paragraph structure. I think you are trying to use PEEL but your 'Explain' section is way too small. It needs to be about three times the size. Add context and link it to what you are saying in the paragraph. Make sure your intro and conclusion are actually adding value.

I hope this helps!
thank you so much this really helps me
thank you so much this really helps me

Amazing! If you have any questions, just let me know! :smile:
Reply 4
Grade 6 essay increase the amount you write about a quote and right a lot more in general u lost the most marks due to a weak conclusion and week thesis which play a critical role in making your essay cohesive so like the begining and end have to like say things which are about the same which shows ur view in thesis statement is carried out throughout the essay and please use new words some words are overused and ur analysis though good is lacking perceptive ideas which puts u in the top band
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest