The Student Room Group

C2 - Applications of Differentiation

image.jpg

Q:This diagram represents the end view of the outer cover of a match box, AB and EF being gummed together, and assumed to be the same length.

If the total length of edge (ABCDEF) is 12 cm, calculate the lengths of AB and BC which will give the maximum possible cross-section area.

So, I'm struggling a lot on this question. Help would really be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
start by labelling the sides as x and y
Reply 2
Original post by TarotOfMagic
image.jpg

Q:This diagram represents the end view of the outer cover of a match box, AB and EF being gummed together, and assumed to be the same length.

If the total length of edge (ABCDEF) is 12 cm, calculate the lengths of AB and BC which will give the maximum possible cross-section area.

So, I'm struggling a lot on this question. Help would really be appreciated.

Always start by giving variables to stuff. Let's call AB=xAB =x the length of AB. Let's call DC=yDC=y, the length of DC.

You know it's a rectangle (but we're counting that weird double edge thing) so 3x+2y=12y=123x2=63x23x+2y = 12 \Rightarrow y = \frac{12-3x}{2} = 6 - \frac{3x}{2}.

Now you have one equations in two variables, but that will not do at all. You need to have a one variable equation. Let's see what other geometric-based formula we can use... hmmm, I can't think of any OH WAIT! It says it right in the question. We want to maximise the area which is given by A=xyA=xy.

So we will want to compute dAdx\frac{\mathrm{d}A}{\mathrm{d}x} find what value of xx makes that 0 since that will then be a maximum.

Oh damn! AA is in terms of xx AND yy and I don't know any multivariable calculus or lagrange multipliers. Time to start crying, methinks... the saga continues... :cry:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
HA! I got you! A=xyA=xy, yes. But we also know that y=63x2y = 6-\frac{3x}{2}, so really, we can just write A=xy=x((63xx)=6x3x22A = xy = x\left((6-\frac{3x}{x}\right) = 6x - \frac{3x^2}{2}. HALLELUJAH, IT'S ALL IN ONE VARIABLE IN X and it's an easy quadratic! Why'd I cry? Things are good in life again. :yep:

So, what'd dAdx\frac{\mathrm{d}A}{\mathrm{d}x}? What value of xx makes it zero? What's the corresponding value of yy? (hint: y=63x2y = 6-\frac{3x}{2}, don't tell the maths fairy I told you that! :wink: )
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken

Dramatic much?
Reply 5
Original post by tinkerbella~
Dramatic much?

Don't hate because I make maths fun.
Original post by Zacken
Don't hate because I make maths fun.

"Fun", yeah... :rolleyes:
6 minutes too late >.>
Original post by Zacken
HA! I got you! A=xyA=xy, yes. But we also know that x+y=6y=6xx+y = 6 \Rightarrow y = 6-x, so really, we can just write A=xy=x(6x)=6xx2A = xy = x(6-x) = 6x - x^2. HALLELUJAH, IT'S ALL IN ONE VARIABLE IN X and it's an easy quadratic! Why'd I cry? Things are good in life again. :yep:

So, what'd dAdx\frac{\mathrm{d}A}{\mathrm{d}x}? What value of xx makes it zero? What's the corresponding value of yy? (hint: y=6xy = 6-x, don't tell the maths fairy I told you that! :wink: )

are you on drugs? :laugh: this made me laugh a lot
Reply 9
Original post by tinkerbella~
"Fun", yeah... :rolleyes:

Original post by DylanJ42

Drugs are not cool, kids.

Spoiler

LOOOL that was f***ing brilliant to read :rofl:
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

you've gone from "full solutions are against forum guidelines" to this :laugh:

Spoiler

Original post by dylanj42

Spoiler

zacken you are a wizard!

no hagrid, i am just zacken

no just zacken, you are a wizard
Reply 13

Spoiler

D you think I gave away too much information and should have hinted more? :redface: In hindsight, I probably should have, sorry OP! :frown:

I'm clearly not on drugs, I'm on subs. :cool: #Koolkid
Original post by Zacken
HA! I got you! A=xyA=xy, yes. But we also know that x+y=6y=6xx+y = 6 \Rightarrow y = 6-x, so really, we can just write A=xy=x(6x)=6xx2A = xy = x(6-x) = 6x - x^2. HALLELUJAH, IT'S ALL IN ONE VARIABLE IN X and it's an easy quadratic! Why'd I cry? Things are good in life again. :yep:

So, what'd dAdx\frac{\mathrm{d}A}{\mathrm{d}x}? What value of xx makes it zero? What's the corresponding value of yy? (hint: y=6xy = 6-x, don't tell the maths fairy I told you that! :wink: )

So much passion! :ahee: Lovely to see :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by student403
zacken you are a wizard!

i'm not a ****ing wizard hagrid im just zacken

EDIT: why did TSR take my all caps away
Original post by Student403
zacken you are a wizard!

:rofl: what a video that was, back in the day, I think ill actually go watch it again, someone should do a zacken edit
Reply 17
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
i'm not a ****ing wizard hagrid im just zacken

EDIT: why did TSR take my all caps away

If you type everything in caps, TSR makes everything lowercase for you. You need to do all caps and then add in a small lowercase letter somewhere like 'x' at the end. :tongue:
Reply 18
:rofl: what a video that was, back in the day, I think ill actually go watch it again, someone should do a zacken edit

OMG NO :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Lol, thanks for your help. For dA/dx I got 6-2x. And then when dA/dx = 0, x= 3, y=3. But I checked the answers and it said 2 cm and 3 cm which im assuming means that x=2?

Quick Reply

Latest