The Student Room Group

The poor logic of STEM fanboys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by drandy76
Is this a trick questions :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just figured for most people doing it STEP is too important and challenging to fanboy over lol
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Is anyone really a STEP fanboy :colonhash:

I enjoy DubSTEP when I'm trollied.
Is anyone really a STEP fanboy :colonhash:

????
Original post by physicsmaths
Luv it lads.
**** stem.
Mathematics all the way

So tru
I just figured for most people doing it STEP is too important and challenging to fanboy over lol

Fanboying has many different forms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Benis
Well, the thread starter didn't say "boy/girl/non-binary gender individual", she just said "girls/non-binary gender"

That being said, I am a Neptunian mole person, so well done

It was a continuation of the title: 'fanboys/girls/non-binary gender individuals'.
STEM circlejerkers are idiots.

The best example is computer science, there exist amazing jobs in comp sci where if you are good enough and have a strong portfolio you can have a dream job, but only tiny number of such jobs exist and unless you are naturally very talented you won't stand a chance. So being decent at science/engineering/maths but having no soft skills whatsoever will put you in a terrible position compared with someone who graduated in a humanities subject, but is able to communicate, work as part of a team, obey orders, give orders and generally strike up a rapport with people. TSR autism strikes again.
Original post by THE EPIC Panda
Lost it at "/girls/non-binary gender individuals"

Try trolling better next time.

That doesn't imply trolling of any sort.
Original post by Benis
"/girls/non-binary gender individuals"

Does this mean I wasn't supposed to read or reply to this because I'm not in those groups?
Or are those the only people who do humanities in your eyes?

I don't understand

How can you not be either a boy, a girl or non-binary?

So you're saying you don't fall into the 2 most common categories but you also don't fall into 'other'? Where exactly do you fall then? Seriously?

Original post by Benis
Well, the thread starter didn't say "boy/girl/non-binary gender individual", she just said "girls/non-binary gender"That being said, I am a Neptunian mole person, so well done

Did you not see the title of the thread? Fanboy implies one is a boy, hence why it began with /girls/ and not girls/. How could you be so foolish?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dinasaurus
How can you not be either a boy, a girl or non-binary?

So you're saying you don't fall into the 2 most common categories but you also don't fall into 'other'? Where exactly do you fall then? Seriously?

Did you not see the title of the thread? Fanboy implies one is a boy, hence why it began with /girls/ and not girls/. How could you be so foolish?

Chill she didn't cover me, I'm omnisexual omnipiphany.
Original post by EricPiphany

How did they not? Your sexuality is not your gender, whatever omnipiphany is also not a gender.

Even if you stated another gender, it would fall into the category of other. The very concept of other means that everything else is covered.
How did they not? Your sexuality is not your gender, whatever omnipiphany is also not a gender.

Even if you stated another gender, it would fall into the category of other. The very concept of other means that everything else is covered.

Cool.
Cool.

Don't respond to me with such stupidity and then act annoyed because I do not wish to entertain it.
Don't respond to me with such stupidity and then act annoyed because I do not wish to entertain it.

I'm not annoyed. I couldn't care less.
Original post by Copperknickers
Because outside of the STEM world, most paid positions are not steps on a vocational career ladder. They are just short-medium term posts, which you can easily become good at just from training courses and learning on the job. It's a waste of time to study a degree in something like journalism when you don't need a journalism degree. Many jobs just require a generic degree in anything so its better to do something you enjoy and are good at rather than something 'practical' which in real terms is no more practical than a philosophy or language degree etc.
This explains why is is possible, not why you would want to. If you enjoy eg. journalism then surely you'd enjoy studying journalism.
Can't you do both? Most people don't like studying for 12-14 hours per day, however much they like their subject, which is not uncommon among STEM students at places like Oxbridge. If STEM is your particular aptitude then fair enough, but pressuring everyone to do STEM instead of arts/humanities is just not intelligent and there are advantages to participating in societies that many STEM students miss out on.
You could potentially consistently go to quite a few societies if you are in a term where you don't have many assignments and lectures, but you'll always be sacrificing the time for something else.
In the first place if you have few assignments and lectures then you've chosen to study few modules so aren't learning more than the core through that route.To go to more societies you'd have to neglect your further reading, your reading on the course, practise in some area or decrease your leisure time.
But again it depends on your priorities. If you just studied to the minimum required then for example on my course it'd be easy to fit societies in, except for a few weeks at the end of term 1 and the start of term 2 and going into the exam time.
What do you mean by the advantages that STEM students miss out on?
Reply 55
image.png
Not strictly Arts v Science, but I can't resist the opportunity to post anything from xkcd.

Arts guys and girls, don't worry about the pretty graph, you'll get the gist anyway :wink:
I'm not annoyed. I couldn't care less.

So why did you bother replying? Did you think it would be funny to say some stupid ****?
Well, there is the "STEAM" ...

... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STEAM_fields ...
(edited 8 years ago)
So why did you bother replying? Did you think it would be funny to say some stupid ****?

Not necessarily funny, but it keeps me entertained.

Why are certain people in this thread referring to me as 'she'? Does 'Copperknickers' sound like a female username to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending