The Student Room Group

Why does Maths have generally lower amounts of people employed after a degree?

Looking at Discover Uni, after 15 months of graduation Mathematics grades seem to average around 90% as employed or in further study. This generally seems lower than other subjects, some of which quite niche that average around 95? Generally though, people say about Maths degrees having really good employability: is there a logical reason for this? Just seems a bit odd to me, may be being dense.

Thanks!
Original post by mossyrevelations
Looking at Discover Uni, after 15 months of graduation Mathematics grades seem to average around 90% as employed or in further study. This generally seems lower than other subjects, some of which quite niche that average around 95? Generally though, people say about Maths degrees having really good employability: is there a logical reason for this? Just seems a bit odd to me, may be being dense.

Thanks!

With niche degrees it can be the case that, due to the specific knowledge and skills taught during the degree, graduates are specifically sought after - or at least have an easier time applying for - relevant roles after graduation.

I wouldn't read too much into the difference between 90 and 95 percent either.

Overall, maths as a degree is right up there when it comes to opportunities for employment or further study after graduation.
(edited 4 months ago)
maybe the degree is so hard they take a year (+) out after idk lol
maybe they're holding out for really good jobs
maybe they've done a year of highly paid work like in an investment bank and decide they want to save the world instead so they take time out before changing career idk
maybe poll some maths grads/ students you know
also maths is one of the few degrees where considerable numbers get 2:2 grades which can make getting a grad job hard
When it comes to recruitment in my experience success is less is about university course & more about candidate caliber & determination. Yes certain degrees help (STEM opens lots of doors in technical industries, maths included in this).

I wouldn’t worry about the employability of mathematics, if you are a strong student & invest time & energy into recruitment you’ll he fine.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending