The Student Room Group

Not good at maths and lack confidence but I applied for a maths degree, Help?

Mathematics is a subject that I severely lack confidence in and is certainly not my strongest point. However, the issue that has arisen in my life is that I’ve applied for a mathematics degree (MMath Hons) to be specific and now I’m feeling like I’ve made a slight error of judgement. How much maths is there in a mathematics degree? Will it be too much to handle if it’s not my best subject, and can I actually complete the integrated masters course without having a panic attack every day? I’m willing to work hard even if my talents lie elsewhere to Maths. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well buddy, i got bad news for you - a maths degree involves a lot of maths

best to amend your choice now than in your second year imo. what stage are you at?
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
well buddy, i got bad news for you - a maths degree involves a lot of maths

best to amend your choice now than in your second year imo. what stage are you at?

I’m starting the course in September. Slightly apprehensive to just reject the university and enter a gap year. Not really sure what to do in this situation.
Original post by Bo77 Tman
Mathematics is a subject that I severely lack confidence in and is certainly not my strongest point. However, the issue that has arisen in my life is that I’ve applied for a mathematics degree (MMath Hons) to be specific and now I’m feeling like I’ve made a slight error of judgement. How much maths is there in a mathematics degree? Will it be too much to handle if it’s not my best subject, and can I actually complete the integrated masters course without having a panic attack every day? I’m willing to work hard even if my talents lie elsewhere to Maths. Thank you!

:confused: I don't understand the timings here. You say, you've "applied for a mathematics degree". You don't say you "have an offer for a mathematics degree" or "have a place on a mathematics degree".

You can't have applied for the 2024 cycle yet (it doesn't open until September). And if this is for the 2023 cycle you'll either already have a place (given that A level results day was a couple of day ago), or you'll be holding offers pending some other (potentially international) exam results. In either of those scenarios, you must have been predicted (or achieved) decent grades in maths, else you wouldn't have got the place / offer.

This post can't be real, surely?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
:confused: I don't understand the timings here. You say, you've "applied for a mathematics degree". You don't say you "have an offer for a mathematics degree" or "have a place on a mathematics degree".

You can't have applied for the 2024 cycle yet (it doesn't open until September). And if this is for the 2023 cycle you'll either already have a place (given that A level results day was a couple of day ago), or you'll be holding offers pending some other (potentially international) exam results. In either of those scenarios, you must have been predicted (or achieved) decent grades in maths, else you wouldn't have got the place / offer.

This post can't be real, surely?

Apologies for the discrepancy in terminology, I have received a place at a university for mathematics starting in September 2023.
Apologies for the discrepancy in terminology, I have received a place at a university for mathematics starting in September 2023.

OK. So you must have achieved a decent grade in your Maths A level (or equivalent) in order to secure that place. Agreed?

So how can it be that "Mathematics is a subject that I severely lack confidence in and is certainly not my strongest point"?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
OK. So you must have achieved a decent grade in your Maths A level (or equivalent) in order to secure that place. Agreed?

So how can it be that "Mathematics is a subject that I severely lack confidence in and is certainly not my strongest point"?

I received a satisfactory grade however this was by relentless studying and grit, my ability in mathematics in actual terms is very weak. I didn’t even study further mathematics. My concern is that I will be out of my depth in a mathematics degree.
I received a satisfactory grade however this was by relentless studying and grit, my ability in mathematics in actual terms is very weak. I didn’t even study further mathematics. My concern is that I will be out of my depth in a mathematics degree.

Why are going to study a subject tat you weak in. Why not study one you are good at. There are loads of courses available in clearing. What A levels and grades do you have.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
Why are going to study a subject tat you weak in. Why not study one you are good at. There are loads of courses available in clearing. What A levels and grades do you have.

I read somewhere that mathematics is the best subject to study at university and gives students the largest range of opportunities post degree. It is also believed that mathematics is the most “impressive” qualification at university and so therefore I was drawn to these connotations.
I read somewhere that mathematics is the best subject to study at university and gives students the largest range of opportunities post degree. It is also believed that mathematics is the most “impressive” qualification at university and so therefore I was drawn to these connotations.

You have based your university subject choice on entirely the wrong reasons. At this point, I would advise you to try as much of the university maths possible (there should be some taster courses online or books that you can read). If you've decided that it's not for you then look into clearing and try and get a different offer. Beyond this point, you're going to have to take a year out.
Reply 10
Original post by toxicgamage56
You have based your university subject choice on entirely the wrong reasons. At this point, I would advise you to try as much of the university maths possible (there should be some taster courses online or books that you can read). If you've decided that it's not for you then look into clearing and try and get a different offer. Beyond this point, you're going to have to take a year out.

Thank you, that seems like a good suggestion. I will most likely attempt the first year of my course and if I feel my relentless hard work will not be enough to get me through the 4 years then I will drop out and look for other opportunities elsewhere. Is this the best way forward? The mathematics degree seems to have a very good reputation and so it would be a shame if I can’t complete it.
Thank you, that seems like a good suggestion. I will most likely attempt the first year of my course and if I feel my relentless hard work will not be enough to get me through the 4 years then I will drop out and look for other opportunities elsewhere. Is this the best way forward? The mathematics degree seems to have a very good reputation and so it would be a shame if I can’t complete it.

If you think you have the motivation to go through it, and you have the funding to pull out if needs be, then ig this is an option. I'd try my suggestion atm though, you might be able to tell rn whether or not you want to do the degree.

If you're not wanting to progress with it initially, you could ask the University if you could be considered for an alternative program that you're more interested in.
Reply 13
Original post by AnotherStudent!
If you're not wanting to progress with it initially, you could ask the University if you could be considered for an alternative program that you're more interested in.

That’s also an interesting point, is that something I should do in September when I arrive at the university or should I email them now? Thanks for helping.
Do you enjoy maths?: Go for it, you may surprise yourself.

Is there something you'd rather do? Do you dislike maths?: Get out whilst it's easy to. Take a gap year, or try clearing. 1 gap year is better than 3 years of hurt, in my opinion anyway.
That’s also an interesting point, is that something I should do in September when I arrive at the university or should I email them now? Thanks for helping.

Email them now I guess? Saves any uncertainty.
I’m starting the course in September. Slightly apprehensive to just reject the university and enter a gap year. Not really sure what to do in this situation.

What A levels did you do?

Ive not done a mathematics degree myself but I would anticipate maths being a pretty core component of a mathematics degree.

Spoiler

How much maths is there in a mathematics degree?

?????

If you are sure on not doing a maths degree, it's better you withdraw now than use up a year of student finance.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 19
Original post by ArcusActivate
Do you enjoy maths?: Go for it, you may surprise yourself.

Is there something you'd rather do? Do you dislike maths?: Get out whilst it's easy to. Take a gap year, or try clearing. 1 gap year is better than 3 years of hurt, in my opinion anyway.

I enjoy mathematics alot, but i'm still in 3 years of hurt.

Quick Reply

Latest