The Student Room Group

Highest common factor

ind the quotient and remainder when f(X)=X^3+4⋅X^2+3⋅X+15 is divided by g(X)=X^2+3. Hence, find hcf(f(X),g(X)).

I calculated the quorient to be x+4 and the remainder 3/(x^2+3) but not sure how to calculate the hcf.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Substitution
ind the quotient and remainder when f(X)=X^3+4⋅X^2+3⋅X+15 is divided by g(X)=X^2+3. Hence, find hcf(f(X),g(X)).

I calculated the quorient to be x+4 and the remainder 3/(x^2+3) but not sure how to calculate the hcf.

Thanks!

Would it not simply be 1?
Original post by Zacken
Would it not simply be 1?

Maybe, is that because a remainder exists when dividing?
Reply 3
Maybe, is that because a remainder exists when dividing?

I think it's because x2+3x^2 + 3 is irreducible and the reason you've given.

Edit: I'm going to add in a disclaimer that I don't really know what I'm talking about here - so somebody fele free to jump in and correct me. :-)
(edited 8 years ago)

Thanks!

So you have X3+4X2+3X+15=(X+4)(X2+3)+3\displaystyle X^3+4X^2+3X+15=(X+4)(X^2+3)+3.

Now use the following result let f(X),g(X),q(X),r(X)F[X]\displaystyle f(X),g(X),q(X),r(X) \in \mathbb{F}[X].

If f(X)=q(X)g(X)+r(X)\displaystyle f(X)=q(X)g(X)+r(X)

then hcf(f(X),g(X))=hcf(g(X),r(X))\displaystyle \text{hcf}(f(X),g(X))=\text{hcf}(g(X),r(X))

Now from above we have hcf(X3+4X2+3X+15,X2+3)=hcf(X2+3,3)=1\displaystyle \text{hcf}(X^3+4X^2+3X+15,X^2+3)=\text{hcf}(X^2+3,3)=1.

In fact for f(X)F[X],pF,p0, hcf(f(X),p)=1\displaystyle f(X) \in \mathbb{F}[X], p \in \mathbb{F}, p \neq 0, ~\text{hcf}(f(X),p)=1

Quick Reply

Latest