The Student Room Group

Why is airport security racist?

If a white person is acting strangely to them, they won't bat an eyelid but if an Asian or black person is acting strangely then they will be questioned and searched for drugs, weapons etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samzy21
If a white person is acting strangely to them, they won't bat an eyelid but if an Asian or black person is acting strangely then they will be questioned and searched for drugs, weapons etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Another example of white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's called keeping us all safe, like it or not most people who want to blow up a plane aren't white.

Most places drugs are produced aren't white countries

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samzy21

Have you been racially profiled?

I travelled recently and was quite paranoid given the things some of my POC family/friends have said however I went through security without issue. After going through the metal scanner, I even stood around momentarily surprised nothing happened and asked a security officer if I had to be patted down. He looked at me in mild amusement and waved me along my way.
Original post by Death Grips
Exactly. Another example of white privilege.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Being a white male in a 1st world country is pretty great bruh not gonna lie.
Reply 5
Security uses statistics and statistics may dictate the action you see.
Original post by TeeEm
Security uses statistics and statistics may dictate the action you see.

Stereotyping is a legitimate form for policing these sorts of things if the stereotype is true.

So if almost all plane hijackers aren't white why would you search them equally for that purpose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by paul514
Stereotyping is a legitimate form for policing these sorts of things if the stereotype is true.

So if almost all plane hijackers aren't white why would you search them equally for that purpose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nice to pint out we are in agreement
They should be checking everyone, regardless of gender or race. But they have limited resources and should therefore spend more time with people who fit the profile of a target.
Original post by Aceadria
They should be checking everyone, regardless of gender or race. But they have limited resources and should therefore spend more time with people who fit the profile of a target.

Enjoy waiting ten hours to pass security

Posted from TSR Mobile
Figment of your imagination.
Original post by paul514
Enjoy waiting ten hours to pass security

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely why I said they should be spending their resources on targeting the correct profile.
I guess they're forced to do it? eg. on the stereotype that Muslims are terrorists (which they're not! Terrorists are not real Muslims!)
Original post by Smidge_midge
I guess they're forced to do it? eg. on the stereotype that Muslims are terrorists (which they're not! Terrorists are not real Muslims!)
For those terrorists that attack the Western homelands, these are true:

All Muslims are not terrorists.

Most terrorists define themselves as Muslim.
Original post by Aceadria
Precisely why I said they should be spending their resources on targeting the correct profile.

Sorry I probably just read the first few words and profiled you 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G8D
On the other hand it's entirely legitimate to suspect 'brown' people at a higher rate than other purely on the basis that most muslims are of that type of person and muslim extremists have proven to be one of the biggest threats to air security...

Similarly in Aus/NZ they are more likely to pick up south-east/proximal asians in respect of import violations because they are more likely to attempt to flaunt the strict rules there.

Original post by paul514

I actually agree with what you're saying.
But I also think all white boys in the US should have mental health check ups before transferring to high school.
Original post by paul514
Sorry I probably just read the first few words and profiled you 😂

No worries!
Original post by samzy21

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are poorly-trained, poorly-educated people on near-minimum wage who are told to look out for "indicators" that someone might be a terrorist.

90% of the terrorist threat comes from Muslims, most Muslims are non-white.

Thing is, airport security is almost entirely for show, so no airport is going to bother to spend lots of money training people properly, they just contract it out to G4S and other such companies.
Reply 18
Not racist, just aware that most threats will come from black muslims.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending