The Student Room Group

Binomial question

basically the question is

expand
(1+2x) power of 5 (1-0.5x) power of 8 as far as the term in x power of 2,
what is it asking me? Is it asking me to expand both terms out to x2 and then expand it?
Reply 1
Have you got a picture you can insert?
Reply 2
Original post by SunDun111

expand
what is it asking me? Is it asking me to expand both terms out to x2 and then expand it?

I'd suggest expanding both out to x^2 then expanding it again and ignoring all the terms that are above x^3 and above.
Reply 3
Original post by Nowen

no its literally them two terms next to each other, and it says Expand this as far as the term in x to the power of 2
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
I'd suggest expanding both out to x^2 then expanding it again and ignoring all the terms that are above x^3 and above.

I expanded them both out to x^2 but after that do you mean multiply them out with each other?
Reply 5
Original post by Nowen

The question is:

Expand (1+2x)5(1x2)8(1+2x)^5 \left(1 - \frac{x}{2}\right)^8 up to the term in x2x^2

expand

The question isn't clear.. are they both multiplied together?
I mean like this:

(1+2x)5(1-0.5x)8 ?

If yes, then I would expand both brackets separately and then multiply your expansions together.
Are you aware of how to do binomial expansion, or would you like some help?
Reply 7
I expanded them both out to x^2 but after that do you mean multiply them out with each other?

Yes, multiply them out. Don't bother multiplying out the ones that make x^3 or x^4 though.
Reply 8
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
The question isn't clear.. are they both multiplied together?
I mean like this:

(1+2x)5(1-0.5x)8 ?

If yes, then I would expand both brackets separately and then multiply your expansions together.
Are you aware of how to do binomial expansion, or would you like some help?

Yeah thats the queston, I can do it quite well just going over it since im re-taking core 2
Yeah thats the queston, I can do it quite well just going over it since im re-taking core 2

I see, good luck! What exam board are you on. I'd expect that sort of question on C4 on OCR, although we did do binomials in C2 last year.
Reply 10
Original post by NadeemKha_Arab
I see, good luck! What exam board are you on. I'd expect that sort of question on C4 on OCR, although we did do binomials in C2 last year.

AQA, first time i've seen that type of question but its in quite an old textbook not the new one so might be a bit outdated, thought i'd do it anyway.
AQA, first time i've seen that type of question but its in quite an old textbook not the new one so might be a bit outdated, thought i'd do it anyway.

Yes, it's always better to do more than less, I guess haha.

Quick Reply

Latest