It wasn't too bad but wth was that distribution for t²/(3-2t)² lol

it was a negative binomial with r = 2 and p = 1/3

Original post by ojha99
Did you get Var as 12. E(X) as 6?

yes
Reply 4
Who got the last question?
Reply 5
How were you meant to do the 4marker Poisson approximation question?
Reply 6
Original post by ojha99

Don’t think anyone got that
Reply 7
Original post by bans_x

I modelled red with geo distribution and yellow with negative binomial. I think red probability was greater
Reply 8
Original post by ojha99

Impossible question
Reply 9
Original post by ojha99
I modelled red with geo distribution and yellow with negative binomial. I think red probability was greater

Didn't feel like 7 marks tho. I wasn't sure if the game would end after one event, like if R happens does it mean they win and they stop playing
Reply 10
Original post by ojha99

You had to use X~B(900,p) and then say that P(a call lasts longer than 30 mins) must be small, so you approximate it as Po(900p), leaving it in terms of p. Then you had that only 5% of days don't have any calls lasting longer than 30 mins (as it said 95% of days do) and so you could say that P(X=0) in a day is equal to 0.05. That means that using your poisson apprximation, you can put the e^minus lambda formula thing equal to 0.05. And then solve for lambda, which you also know equals 900p, and therefore you can find p.
it took me quite a while to work out, literally saw how to do it in about the last minute and a half but luckily got it down.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by bans_x

The probabilities were both very close, about 0.55 each or something, but P(red) was slightly higher. For the yellow, you used negative binomial, and had to add all the probabilities P(X=3), P(X=4) ... up to P(X=7), I think those were the right numbers but I can't remember exactly now.
Reply 12
Original post by ojha99

Yh red was greater
Reply 13
Geo and negative binomial pretty much the same thing when r=1
Reply 14
Original post by squidgey
The probabilities were both very close, about 0.55 each or something, but P(red) was slightly higher. For the yellow, you used negative binomial, and had to add all the probabilities P(X=3), P(X=4) ... up to P(X=7), I think those were the right numbers but I can't remember exactly now.

Theres a quicker way, you can just convert the negative binomial into a binomial
What do you think grade boundaries will be for stats 1 and mechanics 1 I think I got around 230 will it be enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending