The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham offer holders 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JOwen22
I'm St Aidans as well! I went to the open day last week, and I thought it was really good, even if it is a bit of a walk from the town centre :smile:
hey! I've been allocated to St Aidan's too :smile: still trying to choose whether I want to go to a uni in the middle of nowhere or stay in London :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 901
Original post by Freetree64
hey! I've been allocated to St Aidan's too :smile: still trying to choose whether I want to go to a uni in the middle of nowhere or stay in London :smile:

"In the middle of nowhere" 😂
Reply 902
Original post by JOwen22
I'm St Aidans as well! I went to the open day last week, and I thought it was really good, even if it is a bit of a walk from the town centre

That's good to hear! I actually applied to St Chad's so I was a little disappointed when I got the email but I'm sure it'll be a pleasant experience nonetheless. Yeah I'm a bit concerned about the distance to the lectures and the town. Especially since it's a hill college!!

Original post by Freetree64
hi! I've been allocated to st Aidian's too, can I ask what you applied for? How do you think student life is gonna be, I'm not sure whether to firm Durham or a London uni :smile:

I applied for Earth Sciences. What about you? Well I personally didn't want to go to a London uni anyway because I grew up in a city so I figured this would be my chance to get away from it all. I don't think it'll be boring or anything. I'm actually really looking forward to it! Even if things do start to move slowly we always have the weekends to take the train or whatnot to other places!
Hi
Subject: MA INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
I've a conditional offer as of now, and I'm very confused in colleges. Being an international student I can't really visit the colleges so can anybody help me out? Which college is better? St Chad's or St Mary's? Also I'm only interested in single ensuite rooms
Original post by parvgarg
Hi
Subject: MA INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
I've a conditional offer as of now, and I'm very confused in colleges. Being an international student I can't really visit the colleges so can anybody help me out? Which college is better? St Chad's or St Mary's? Also I'm only interested in single ensuite rooms

First of all, you cannot choose a college by yourself. It is the university who allocates you to a college. You may be able to put a college preference on UCAS but Durham may allocate you to a different place. Basically, it is up to Durham to allocate you. The chance of being accepted in Castle or Colingwood is minimal as they are both oversubscribed.
Once you get your offer from Durham, you need to fulfil the conditions.
If you do so, the university/colleg will contact you asking you questions about accommodation (as far as I know).
Most students prefer ensuite rooms but not all of them get them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
First of all, you cannot choose a college by yourself. It is the university who allocates you to a college. You may be able to put a college preference on UCAS but Durham may allocate you to a different place. Basically, it is up to Durham to allocate you. The chance of being accepted in Castle or Colingwood is minimal as they are both oversubscribed.
Once you get your offer from Durham, you need to fulfil the conditions.
If you do so, the university/colleg will contact you asking you questions about accommodation (as far as I know).
Most students prefer ensuite rooms but not all of them get them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I'm confused about my preferences too! So I need to know how are these two colleges so that if by chance the university allots me a college out of my preferenc then I'm know something about it.
But I'm confused about my preferences too! So I need to know how are these two colleges so that if by chance the university allots me a college out of my preferenc then I'm know something about it.

Have you put a preference? If so, what is it?
My application was open and I had no idea which college I will be allocated to. I got a place at Van Mildert. At the beginning, I thought it wasn't what I expected but then realised what an amazing college it is.
All colleges in Durham are great and as I said earlier it is not up to you to choose one (you can add a preference on UCAS though).
Wherever you got allocated to will be an excellent place! Trust me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I left it blank but now I need to put it in a university form. I'm putting St. Chad's and St. Mary's.
Looking forward to having a great time in one of these colleges! Thanks for the help!
Which accomodation is best for Postgraduation? St. Mary's or St. Chad's?
Hi, is there anyone who got an offer for MBA ??
Which accomodation is best for Postgraduation? St. Mary's or St. Chad's?

Hi, are you from India ?
Hello, bit late to the party!

Subject: English Literature
Offer: A*AA
College applied to: University (Castle)
College allocated: University (Castle)

Really excited, I've put it as my firm choice and I LOVE the course and college. Anyone else?
Original post by DramaticFreak
Hello, bit late to the party!

Subject: English Literature
Offer: A*AA
College applied to: University (Castle)
College allocated: University (Castle)

Really excited, I've put it as my firm choice and I LOVE the course and college. Anyone else?

I'm doing English and History at St. Cuths
Hello I am allocated in Collingwood for law with foundation. I want to meet people that hold offers so pm or comment here to add on fb
Original post by sarahmcallister
I'm doing English and History at St. Cuths

I looked into Cuths, too!
I've chosen my firm choice but I need to choose my insurance in case I don't meet the grades. The problem is that Durham (Combined Social Sciences) as offered me the same grades as my firm: A*AA, but I really love it. I know this sort of defeats the point but I only just prefer my firm over Durham and ahhh I just really like it there. York (History) has offered me AAA. I emailed Durham Admissions and they said they don't flex for people who has put them as their insurance (??), say if I got AAA they wouldn't 'apparently' give me a place. I'm just not sure about York at all, I mean its fine but I don't love it, and would consider not going to university at all if I was transferred to York as my insurance. If Durham gave me a place as my insurance I would take it no matter what. Has anyone been in this position/heard someone who has that was successful with Durham or another high league uni (or another uni with no places in clearing)? I've heard so many stories that universities can put high grades up and not be so strict on results day. Thank you!
Original post by Lunge
I've applied to Warwick,York,Bath and Oxford too, I've got offers from the first three and hopefully I'll hear from Oxford soon. I can't wait to go to any of them, I think I'll need to go back again to see Durham and the others as they all have certain aspects that differentiate them. As you're from California have you managed to come over to see St Chad's and Durham? If not you've made a great choice so don't worry :smile:

Can I ask what you got in your GCSE's? I'm currently doing GCSE's and I need to know what to aim for especially for Durham because it's the number 1 Uni i'd love to go to. If I go i'll either be doing English Literature or English Literature and History(still haven't made my mind up).

At the moment i'm doing
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English Literature
English Language
Law
Business
History
Reply 917
Original post by niftyhitman
Can I ask what you got in your GCSE's? I'm currently doing GCSE's and I need to know what to aim for especially for Durham because it's the number 1 Uni i'd love to go to. If I go i'll either be doing English Literature or English Literature and History(still haven't made my mind up).

At the moment i'm doing
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
English Literature
English Language
Law
Business
History

I got 5A*s and 5As, GCSEs will matter more for you than they did for me due to the removal of the AS exams, just work hard and I hope you'll get an offer in the future!
Original post by DramaticFreak
I looked into Cuths, too!

there's a facebook chat for english if you're interested?
Hi everyone, think I'm going to firm Durham tonight for engineering, so just wondered if there was anyone else doing engineering or going to Josephine Butler? Also if anyone has anything to help me make my mind up that'd be good.

Quick Reply

Latest